BBFC edit Paranoia Agent Volume 3

Tenchi said:
can you get the uncut version on ebay uk
You could get the US version quite legitimately from many places, such as Amazon.com. The BBFC ratings don't apply to imports since they only restrict what can be made available in domestic UK products, while imports are handled by customs and excise by completely different guidlines to those the BBFC work by.

Bluedragon: Quit overreacting. You make it sound like you're being discriminated against in some fundamental way. The BBFC's job is to rate and censor media for consumption. They've been doing it for years, and they'll keep doing it for many more.

Anime is ENTERTAINMENT, it is not some fundamental right of anybody's to get uncut releases.

In my opinion, we're bloody lucky to get a show as cutting-edge and mature as Paranoia Agent at all.

Bluedragon said:
p.s hands up who hates the way were treated in this country *raises hand to sky*
It's outrageous! But I have an idea: all of you put on your Guy Fawkes Masks and come with me to blow up the offices of the BBFC! We may have running water, we may have electricity, rights and all that, but when the censors of this nation cut 80 seconds from an animated television programme, we know that our treatment borders on the tyrannical! We must put a stop to this.

Yours Truely, O for Over-reaction

The grass is always greener on the other side... no really. Especially in Greenland, or at least, where it can grow in Greenland. If anywhere.

kupoartist said:
Bluedragon said:
p.s hands up who hates the way were treated in this country *raises hand to sky*
It's outrageous! But I have an idea: all of you put on your Guy Fawkes Masks and come with me to blow up the offices of the BBFC! We may have running water, we may have electricity, rights and all that, but when the censors of this nation cut 80 seconds from an animated television programme, we know that our treatment borders on the tyrannical! We must put a stop to this.

Yours Truely, O for Over-reaction

The grass is always greener on the other side... no really. Especially in Greenland, or at least, where it can grow in Greenland. If anywhere.

Thank you kupo for the best, truest and most amusing post on the thread ;)

Really now, is THAT it? Oh dear! I really dont see what all the fuss is about. The BBFC shouldnt be so pernickity about stuff and pull their finger out their ass and just release stuff the way the director intended it to be shown. Especially if its a masterpiece of art from Satoshi Kon.

It's probably treated so seriously because first, it involves a child, and secondly there is no counterpart to the view of the three potential suicides.
In most other shows or films, suicide scenes are usually treated more seriously, or if light-hearted, there is a counterpoint to it to convey the horror of suicide. So even if the person comitting suicide seems happy about it and thinks it's a great idea, there is usually a witness or someone who comes across the body to give us the gravity of the act as well.

From what I remember of the episode, you just have the three of them throughout and lack that counterpoint of someone outside looking in.
That, couple with the young age of one character, is likely where the problem lies.

I don't agree with it either, myself, but they're sticking to their guidelines for this - the episode deals with children and suicide and is light-hearted, there's little doubt about that. Why an 18 isn't enough to cover it when it is San Andreas, I don't know.

i can see where they're coming from, they are covering their own backs more than anything but i would agree with their choice...if it was being shown on TV. as its a DVD i'm not so sure, maybe a disclaimer slaped onto the beginingof the episode would have worked. i would have hoped that the people watching it would have been old enough to distinguish between theevents shown and what happens in real life.

it dosent sound too bad, they didnt cut the kid hanging scene from the Grudge and that was one of the scariest things i have seen in my life!!!! even Evangellion made it through, that was the freakiest thing ive ever seen, if they cut out all he 'disturbing material' from that they would only be able to show the opening and closing credits!!

I think it's important to realise that it's not so much the hanging itself that cause the problem, but it seems to be more the context in which it's presented.

I know it's hard for people to make an informed judgement on this though, considering most fans in the UK won't have seen that particular scene yet.

kupoartist said:
It's kind of strange that a scene in an anime depicting young people in suicide pacts is allowed past the censor of a country where the phenomenon is a major concern*, yet is cut in a country which has no such pre-occupation.

Well, if you're going to go with that, then it becomes a question of is the art influencing the culture or vice-versa? From the general themes of the news articles you posted, suicide in Japan has been seen to be a part of the "culture" (if you can call it that) for a long time. A discussion of things like suicide wouldn't be out of place in TV shows and media as a result. The UK hoever, has quite a different culture in this respect, and a much lower suicide rate to boot. As a result, in some ways it can be considered understandable that the discussion of suicide would make people significantly more uneasy and / or shocked as a result. Especially things like child suicide.

EDIT: Oh great, my title just changed to "Shinigami", how freaking appropriate. :roll:

There any way I can change that?

subedii said:
A discussion of things like suicide wouldn't be out of place in TV shows and media as a result. The UK hoever, has quite a different culture in this respect, and a much lower suicide rate to boot. As a result, in some ways it can be considered understandable that the discussion of suicide would make people significantly more uneasy and / or shocked as a result. Especially things like child suicide.
Perhaps, but I couldn't see the UK having a different stance on it if it had exactly the same problem. I think the UK is just generally more uptight over most things.
subedii said:
EDIT: Oh great, my title just changed to "Shinigami", how freaking appropriate. :roll:

Post Post Post!

kupoartist said:
Perhaps, but I couldn't see the UK having a different stance on it if it had exactly the same problem. I think the UK is just generally more uptight over most things.

That's pretty much what I was saying. The culture and situation is different here, so the opinions are different. The UK hasn't really experienced the problem of having one of the largest suicide rates in the world, so it's treated differently here. I wouldn't necessarily take that to mean that the UK is more uptight over things though.

subedii said:

Post Post Post!

I much prefered evil genius. It goes well with my avater. :mrgreen:

Ah well, it was worth a shot. Guess i'll just skip ahead and order the US version then.

Now this is totally unrelated but I'd just like to say that my younger brother was watching Looney Tunes today and Daffy Duck put a revolver to his head and pulled the trigger which ended in a comical fashion.

Also the South Park season 1 boxset(rated 15) has an entire episode dedicated to Stans grandfather trying to kill himself over and over and even getting Stan to try and kill him.

I wonder if this means they'll be cutting out Moe's hanging attempts on later Simpsons boxsets too...

Back