AV Referendum results this evening. PLACE YOUR BETS NOW!

The No leaflet is ridiculous Jayme, I've only seen the costs it's mentioned for the switch, loads of it's bollocks, there will be no cost to change the ballot paper, you'll just write numbers on it, it won't cost anywhere near the £20 odd million the No campaign claims it would to explain the system, a majority of people have the internet, they can get that info for free and it apparently says ******** that the system would be too hard for the normal person to comprehend, is it really hard to put a few numbers on a ballot paper? As for the Yes campaign, I've seen nothing from them.

Looks like No is gonna win so far, bloody British people, always afraid of change, polls don't help either, they discourage the opposition.

Jaymii said:
What I find most interesting about all this campaigning and advertising stuff is that I saw NOTHING of it.

Me either for the most part; a load of people starting talking about the Yes campaign online on the day of the actual vote (after I'd voted) but prior to that all I'd seen were a couple of juvenile leaflets from the No campaign which seemed to be ranting about things unrelated to the actual topic. I almost forgot there was a referendum on at all.

R

Rui said:
Jaymii said:
What I find most interesting about all this campaigning and advertising stuff is that I saw NOTHING of it.

Me either for the most part; a load of people starting talking about the Yes campaign online on the day of the actual vote (after I'd voted) but prior to that all I'd seen were a couple of juvenile leaflets from the No campaign which seemed to be ranting about things unrelated to the actual topic. I almost forgot there was a referendum on at all.

R

One guy in a shirt, and was too naive to know what it was about

What I find hilarious is how the BBC didn't bother to cover this in any high profile whatsoever. Everything Osama Bin Laden.

Anyway, not an unexpected result but disappointing nonetheless. Nothing the Liberal Democrats stood for is coming through into actual policy. Or, at least, very little and things that will have little effect for the ordinary person on the ground.

It seems that the British public want to keep an undemocratic system, AV may not be truly Democratic, but by god it's more Democratic than first past the post, instead we're stuck with a system that more resembles Oligarchy by the moment

I voted no, and I stick by it.

Honestly, there's no commitment to your vote if you go to the poll booths and go "I like to vote for these guys, but just-in-case... I'll give these guys my other vote."

1 person = 1 vote to me makes more sense to me than giving them 3 votes scattered across the system, or competing for points like in F1. At least they have a whole season to gain so many points each race, of which are added to a net total. To do it for one "race" is much more flimsy in my eyes.

ilmaestro said:
OUTRAGEOUS CLAIMS.

OVER THE TOP STATEMENTS.

^ This.

C'mon guys, at least we vote in this country. There are still countries around without such a priviledge. At the end of the day, we chose to vote no; so we can't whine about being in this system, because it was ourselves who chose to keep it this way!

Shirayuri said:
ilmaestro said:
OUTRAGEOUS CLAIMS.

OVER THE TOP STATEMENTS.

^ This.

C'mon guys, at least we vote in this country. There are still countries around without such a priviledge. At the end of the day, we chose to vote no; so we can't whine about being in this system, because it was ourselves who chose to keep it this way!

So many people's decisions were swayed by propaganda and lies though. We have every right to complain.

Ha, then the people in favour of AV should have stepped up and gone against all this propaganda by creating their own then.

Jaymii said:
Ha, then the people in favour of AV should have stepped up and gone against all this propaganda by creating their own then.

^

This.

We weren't gonna have no propaganda were we? Let's remember it your opinion that AV is better; what if many people just thought FPTP was simply a preferred, tried and tested system? You can't rule that possibility out.

Propaganda was inevitable, it was, as Jaymii just said, the "Yes" groups job really to spread equally as much around, if not more.

Jaymii said:
I think that idea was put forward, then people realized "people in favor of AV" was Nick Clegg and it was never going to work anyway. Can't believe it finished such a landslide though (70/30).

fwiw, the Daily Mail effectively calls this a "vote for Democracy", memorium. ;)

We all know what the Daily Mail is like; so far up Cameron's **** that they spunk on his breakfast before he even swallows it.

I only wish that the constituencies that voted Yes to AV actually got it.

Chaz said:
I voted no, and I stick by it.

Honestly, there's no commitment to your vote if you go to the poll booths and go "I like to vote for these guys, but just-in-case... I'll give these guys my other vote."

1 person = 1 vote to me makes more sense to me than giving them 3 votes scattered across the system, or competing for points like in F1. At least they have a whole season to gain so many points each race, of which are added to a net total. To do it for one "race" is much more flimsy in my eyes.

AV is still one person = one vote. Just all the Yes campaigns have done a really bad job of explaining the system.

AV explained in 3 steps :
1. EVERYBODY votes for their favourite candidate still in the election
2. The candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated.
3. If only one candidate remains they get elected, otherwise go back to step 1.

To stop you going to polling station multiple times your preferences are taken at the beginning and your vote allocated according to those in each round.

All the 'redistribution' and '50%' rubbish that got bandied around was entirely means of making the counting faster and isn't really a specific part of the system.

ilmaestro said:
You accidentally made it sound too much like Dancing on Ice. :-/

That's not too surprising. According to Wikipedia the voting system is essentially a derivative of Run-off voting.
AV is otherwise known as Instant Run-off.

Back