AV Referendum results this evening. PLACE YOUR BETS NOW!

Mutsumi

Guild Member
You've no doubt heard about it by now. The AV Referendum.

While the NO camp may have had a boost in support through lies and propaganda late in the game, apparently there has been a fair bit of voter apathy on their side, with the YES camp being more motivated to go out an help fix this mess, so the results could go either way.

I voted yes of course, because I actually read the facts before deciding.

Sadly, I think the result will be a no, due to the damage done by the NO camp's lies. That, and after the farce of the previous election, I dare not get my hopes up for a fair result.

The basic ads on the tv told me nothing, the signs saying "SAY NO" and a big green cross on billboards told me nothing, the news told me nothing therefore i didn't even bother getting out of bed to vote.

either way, i don't care what happens because the country's down **** creek as it is whoevers in charge and whatever way we vote nothing will ever change that.

I figured the people who wanted the change were going to be more active about it than not, but I dunno. There's a 50:50 chance of one of them winning.

probably no, i'm yet to see any posters aying "vote yes" and from what i've heard if yes gets in then it'll be a case of putting 1234 next to people.... we tried that in high school and that confused people to no end, so they are going to try it with a whole country? may just be chaos.

I understand that it makes things fairer, you get a more exact reading for each part of the country/town/city of who they want and things, but as i said if 15 year olds struggle to work it all out then a diverse country with quarter of the public who don't use english as a mother tongue (hell some don't/can't speak the lingo at all) then it's only gunna confuse people.

but hey, like i said it doesn't mater who we vote for or how we vote or how long they'll be in power. either way we'll lose out. just look at the current government.

the majority of the UK blamed labour for everything, voted lib dems and tories, we have a hung parliament atm, the lib dems have lost seats today i believe, conservatives have gained some. the country are voting more for tories to stay in power but then slagging them off for price and tax rises. regardless of who's to blame for the financial situation atm whoever got in power would have had to put up tax's and wed have complained. i'm finished with this country in honesty, if i could live on an island on my own i would.

Tachi- said:
probably no, i'm yet to see any posters aying "vote yes" and from what i've heard if yes gets in then it'll be a case of putting 1234 next to people.... we tried that in high school and that confused people to no end, so they are going to try it with a whole country? may just be chaos.

I understand that it makes things fairer, you get a more exact reading for each part of the country/town/city of who they want and things, but as i said if 15 year olds struggle to work it all out then a diverse country with quarter of the public who don't use english as a mother tongue (hell some don't/can't speak the lingo at all) then it's only gunna confuse people.

but hey, like i said it doesn't mater who we vote for or how we vote or how long they'll be in power. either way we'll lose out. just look at the current government.

the majority of the UK blamed labour for everything, voted lib dems and tories, we have a hung parliament atm, the lib dems have lost seats today i believe, conservatives have gained some. the country are voting more for tories to stay in power but then slagging them off for price and tax rises. regardless of who's to blame for the financial situation atm whoever got in power would have had to put up tax's and wed have complained. i'm finished with this country in honesty, if i could live on an island on my own i would.

With AV you only vote for as many as you want so it can be 1234 or just 1 if you prefer.

As for the seat loss/gains - this is a local election not a general election so Parliament is unchanged (2011 UK Elections including the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly, Northern Irish Assembly, English local elections and the AV referendum).

Yeah i heard something about seats on GMTV this morning (can't remember whatever they call it now, its GMTV get over it)

So i was trying to remember about it, im sure thats what they'd said though

I voted yes for two reasons. I was annoyed by all the NO propaganda that was shoved through our letterbox, and also because Eddie Izzard also voted YES and I trust Eddie Izzard.

Also I don't really care much for our current system.

I hope yes win but I'm not getting my hopes too high.

So it seems SNP are likely to get a majority in Scotland at this rate. A historic victory. This implies that people here are wanting independence. SNP are going to want to start drafting up The Scotland Bill. I have mixed feelings about the inevitable referendum on our independence. This is something I will think long and hard about.

Regarding AV, I voted Yes.

Re: AV Referendum results this evening. PLACE YOUR BETS NOW

Mutsumi said:
While the NO camp may have had a boost in support through lies and propaganda late in the game
Every piece of advertising that came through my door from either side was nothing but lies or propaganda. I've also never seen a less well supported, more vague political campaign than the "yes" one for alternative vote, so if they don't get it (which they probably "should" imo, if only for the fact that I don't like any of the arguments against it all that much) they've only got themselves to blame.

In my area at least, I found the campaigning by the YES camp to be rather lacking. I went by the explanations given on the news channels to gain an understanding of how it worked, and from that concluded that it was a far fairer system.

Exactly. They were so passive in their campaigning for the most part, or when they did try something it seemed like it wasn't designed to best explain to your average person on the street exactly what it was about, and just wanted to focus on pointing at politicians with "guaranteed" jobs that they didn't deserve. If they'd gone about it properly I think it would have easily been voted in.

I expect FPTP to win, mostly because they had the loudest campaign.

I would prefer AV to win because it is a much better system.

I would've voted if I was registered, bloody parents, I hope yes will win, quite a lot of people I know voted for it, FPTP is unjust, a system under which a party can gain 20% of the vote yet only 20 seats is stupid.

When your own government lies shamelessly to manipulate a referendum, I start to think Guy Fawkes had the right idea.

Back