AUKN Meetups: Have we actually had one?

20thCenturyBoy said:
Lawrence said:
chaos said:
Next one is SLA Glasgow (not sure I'll be there), then SLA Edinburgh (I'll be there and I'm kinda counting on Maxon, Arby and Reevo to be there as well. Maybe Stu?)

Actually, I do plan on attending but for Edinburgh at least -assuming things go to plan - I'll be preoccupied with other engagements in between. Depending on my work hours, I may try and attend some of Glasgow though. Kinda surprised there isn't more that are planning on going - from the forum but I've kinda been here and there, so perhaps I've missed something?

I'll be at Glasgow SLA so would very likely attend a meet up there.

I don't know if I'll be able to attend even though I'm about 1-2 hours away. I have University and also my job which unfortunately limits most of my free time. :(

20thCenturyBoy said:
Regionalised meetups in multiple locations all ocurring simultaneously and being broadcast live to one another ala WrestleMania II :lol:
king_kong_bundy.jpg

Much like Neptune, i'm quite far up north most of the time, but i get about edinburgh a lot to. I'll be in Edinburgh for SLA and i could potentially go to Glasgow, though not much there interests me(or for that matter, isn't available in Edinburgh) so i'm sticking to the one 20 minutes away from me. I have met a few of you though, mostly at the Expo which seems to be the main gathering point for us all anyways. It'd be nice for once if things where held up here instead of down in england ;p

Lawrence said:
Actually, I do plan on attending but for Edinburgh at least -assuming things go to plan - I'll be preoccupied with other engagements in between. Depending on my work hours, I may try and attend some of Glasgow though. Kinda surprised there isn't more that are planning on going - from the forum but I've kinda been here and there, so perhaps I've missed something?
I'll be at Edimburgh for sure and I'll be going to Glasgow for some of the events. If you're up for a meetup, then we can arrange something... There surely is more people in here that will attend, but they might be too shy.

MercenaryRaiden said:
I for one would adore to go to any kind of meet up, but I think there are various limitations that would me back. For one, i'm not as much of an established member of the community as the majority of you so I'd probably feel kind of weird. The other thing is i'm pretty damn shy in real life (And somewhat on the internet too actually, if that's even possible...)
Im one of those freak of nature that are shy extroverts. I try my best at engaging people, even the shier ones (and I like to think that I succeed at doing so, but then again, may be all in my head ;) )

MercenaryRaiden said:
For me it's all about money at the moment. Train ride alone it'll cost around £120 to get to Glasgow one way, which is such a shame because I want to see practically all of the movies being shown. And that's not factoring in hotel costs, food etc etc.
Where are you based? I've found return flights for ~60 from London. For places to stay, I usually couch surf, although it would depend on finding a host. For food there's gregs and Tescos and Asdas..... Ok, 60 quid is not cheap, but it's half the price of the train tickets....

theirsbailiff said:
OK, so judging by the posts, there have been meetups but they're normally at events and some people here aren't able to go due to living arrangements and cost reasons.

Well then, It looks like I'm gonna have to make one for the October Expo.
It usually happens in events, because it's more likely that people would travel to a con or expo, sometimes from far far away, but they wouldn't travel just for a couple hours meetup. And yep, there will be a meetup at October Expo.

20thCenturyBoy said:
I'll be at Glasgow SLA so would very likely attend a meet up there.
See you there!

vashdaman said:
I'd always be up for a meet up, as you all seem like great people. I guess my problem is that I've never been to an anime con, and never really planned on doing so. I've been to a couple bonafide nerd events in real life before (two Hideo Kojima signing, and an anime all nighter at the cinema), and I'm not gonna lie, I felt quite out of place during them. Not because I'm too "cool" or anything, but because many of the other people who attended were so erm...extreme I think is the word that comes to mind, and relatively unfriendly. Only at one of those events did I happen to meet a friendly group of people who I was able to have fun talking with. So, I think I've become somewhat intimidated by the prospect conventions :lol:. That and the fact that as far as I can tell there's never anything even remotely interesting at UK one's (am I wrong?). I would like to go to SLA however, but Scotland is so far away :(
You might have gone to the wrong events then mate.... Small cons like Kita and Minami are actually great to meet people and make friends. Cosplayers in general are the most sociable in all the anime / manga fandom. As for what happens in cons, etc, well at London Expo a lot of people won't even buy tickets and they will just hang around at the area in front of the Excel Centre. I've been to Minami, Kita and Amecon this year, and I believe I could count the events I've attended there on my fingers.... It's more about meeting friends and such. At Minami this year, I've been to two events and one of the events I've only attended because a friend was the speaker.... Ok, talking like this might make the event sound bad. It isn't, but when you go to / organise so many events, there's a point where the most fun I have is when I'm hanging out with friends there. And most of my friends in the anime / manga / cosplay communities, I can only meet at events as we live so far from each other.
I see that you're London based. So this Sunday there's WOTA - https://www.facebook.com/events/310601442369740/ - I'm not entirely sure I'll be going, but if I go and you want to tag along, pm me - I could introduce you to my friends and then you'd have a starting point....

Zin5ki said:
Our standard Expo meeting point lies outside the event's trading floor — with suitable prior arrangements in place, you'd only need to stroll from the DLR and back.
It's the Fox bar, on the way from Custom House DLR to the Excel Centre. We just need to organise a time, but it should be something like 4pm. if you wanna go to Expo and hang around with us, then feel free to pm me.

Cathe said:
I go to conventions. I was at Fuyucon 2009, Kita 2010, Kita 2011 and Kita 2012. The next event I go to is Ayacon 2013. Hoping to be able to do Fushicon too which should be at the end of 2013.

Whilst i'd be up for a non-event meet up, I probably wouldn't be able to attend. I live in Liverpool and have no job so it gets a bit expensive travelling to places. If anyone is going to Ayacon though it would be nice to be able to say hi :)
Kita this year was really great. Shame they won't run next year again. But I've got Aya and Minami to keep myself busy =) Oh, and Camcon, which we are planning already =)

20thCenturyBoy said:
Everybody is keen on meetups, but all live in different areas, thus there can be only one solution!

Regionalised meetups in multiple locations all ocurring simultaneously and being broadcast live to one another ala WrestleMania II :lol:
Let's do it! =D

neptune2venus said:
I don't know if I'll be able to attend even though I'm about 1-2 hours away. I have University and also my job which unfortunately limits most of my free time. :(
If you come to SLA, pm us! =)

Rui continues to crush the hopes of everyone who would like to meet her in person. ;_;

ayase said:
The people who go to the Cons tend to meet up, I believe. I've met chaos twice and ilmaestro and Zin5ki once at Leeds Film Festival anime showings, which was good fun both times.
Yeah, I'm a little upset I haven't been able to attend another one since, that was a fun day. I met up with chaos after a screening of Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below, which was also cool.

I would certainly be up for attending any meet, as long as my work schedule allowed for it. Other than the Expos (I won't be there next month, but might well be at next May's), I guess February would be an ideal time for me as it's the easiest time of the year for me to organize my time off work.

ilmaestro said:
Rui continues to crush the hopes of everyone who would like to meet her in person. ;_;
Everyone knows she's a bot! I've met Yunagirl, Mangagirl and Darkstorm IRL I can affirm that there are gorgeous girls in the internet as well....
Oh, and I've met Mono as well! (not sure what nickname she uses here nowadays....)
I've tried to meet Sarah as well, but that didn't work out. I've seen her son's gig though.

ilmaestro said:
Yeah, I'm a little upset I haven't been able to attend another one since, that was a fun day. I met up with chaos after a screening of Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below, which was also cool.
Which reminds me of something.... Have I ever sent you the pic of Makoto Shinkai and you?

ilmaestro said:
I would certainly be up for attending any meet, as long as my work schedule allowed for it. Other than the Expos (I won't be there next month, but might well be at next May's), I guess February would be an ideal time for me as it's the easiest time of the year for me to organize my time off work.
I guess that Feb is too cold for any anime events... But yeah, I'm happy to go to a meet up in Feb if it's close to where I live. If it's far, then might be the case of planning something in advance.

In terms of meeting up with people here, I've met with one person who came to the anime convention that I work for in Middlesbrough. All pleasant enough but it would be nice to meet more people.

chaos said:
Everyone knows she's a bot! I've met Yunagirl, Mangagirl and Darkstorm IRL I can affirm that there are gorgeous girls in the internet as well....
Oh, and I've met Mono as well! (not sure what nickname she uses here nowadays....)
I've tried to meet Sarah as well, but that didn't work out. I've seen her son's gig though.

to go to a meet up in Feb if it's close to where I live. If it's far, then might be the case of planning something in advance.

Yep, we met at the Brighton Festival a few years back, and I go by Rena Ryuugu now instead of Mononoke :p

Zin5ki said:
chaos said:
Which reminds me of something.... Have I ever sent you the pic of Makoto Shinkai and you?
Humbug to such fanciful and wanton fantasy.
I've met Makoto Shinkai twice! =P Got pics on both occasions as well as autographs, so when he dies and all his stuff goes OOP, I can become a millionaire! ....

Rena Ryuugu said:
Yep, we met at the Brighton Festival a few years back, and I go by Rena Ryuugu now instead of Mononoke :p
Oh yes, Rena. I remembered that you used Oyashiro-sama for a while, if I'm not mistaken.... I'v been rewatching Higurashi from the start now that the second season has been release in Aus and I managed to get the boxset =)

I'd be up for meeting anyone in London. I was supposed to be going to SLA for the Glasgow half but the girlfriend has vetoed, apparently we're doing something else. I can't really argue as I've already spent money on a festival I'm going to the next weekend, both muse shows the weekend after that and Distant worlds the Friday after that...

Sounds like I've been to a lot of the same events as you guys anyway, just didn't know who you were. I'm pretty hard to miss though, I'm usually in cowboy boots and a painted up leather jacket and always have pretty terrible hair :wink:

Hmm, i've been to a couple of expo meet ups.

I've met Chaos a fair few times and that reminds me, next time i'm free in london we have to have that catch up drink we've put off for long enough lol.

I've met reevothemusefan, hopeful monster, jayme (which is surprising because him and spyro are so close yet i've never met spyro we did used to talk on the phone alot) Durial666 i've met, Arby was a good lad always has time for everyone. Zin5ki was an odd meet up but he's alright :) i'm struggling to remember others - manga girl, Sonia leong - sorry if i've met you but cannot remember :/

People i've wanted to meet are:
Rui, because i believe she'll love my company
Black, long time friend but he lives too damn far!
Voddas, we speak to each other the most and i'm gunna make the drive north to see him on my way back to halifax at some stage,
Ayase - i'd love to sit in a bar with him and drink whiskey and speak of the meanings of life and the universe, just for a laugh then cut to women and cars :)
Spyro - just because we've agreed to meet up so many times yet one thing or another stops it everytime.

Basically most of the people i consider to be "close" friends are the ones i've not met and live far away lol

chaos said:
Rena Ryuugu said:
Oh yes, Rena. I remembered that you used Oyashiro-sama for a while, if I'm not mistaken.... I'v been rewatching Higurashi from the start now that the second season has been release in Aus and I managed to get the boxset =)

I have never used Oyashiro-Sama as a username, since it's my custom title <3

Awesome :D How far are you in? As soon as I got my Part 1 and 2 of Kai, I rewatched them straight away.

Rena Ryuugu said:

Awesome :D How far are you in? As soon as I got my Part 1 and 2 of Kai, I rewatched them straight away.

Oops, now that you mention..... I'm on disc 3 of the first season. Have to watch it slowly to enjoy it fully.

chaos said:
Rena Ryuugu said:

Oops, now that you mention..... I'm on disc 3 of the first season. Have to watch it slowly to enjoy it fully.

Awesome, I hope you enjoy rewatching it =D

I'd be up for a meet up. Have a lovely pint and talk about the weather. Don't think I've actually met anybody here in person before.

Sy said:
I'd be up for a meet up. Have a lovely pint and talk about the weather. Don't think I've actually met anybody here in person before.
Where are you actually base Sy? I think I knew, but I've forgot...

Tachi said:
Hmm, i've been to a couple of expo meet ups.

I've met Chaos a fair few times and that reminds me, next time i'm free in london we have to have that catch up drink we've put off for long enough lol.

I've met reevothemusefan, hopeful monster, jayme (which is surprising because him and spyro are so close yet i've never met spyro we did used to talk on the phone alot) Durial666 i've met, Arby was a good lad always has time for everyone. Zin5ki was an odd meet up but he's alright :) i'm struggling to remember others - manga girl, Sonia leong - sorry if i've met you but cannot remember :/

People i've wanted to meet are:
Rui, because i believe she'll love my company
Black, long time friend but he lives too damn far!
Voddas, we speak to each other the most and i'm gunna make the drive north to see him on my way back to halifax at some stage,
Ayase - i'd love to sit in a bar with him and drink whiskey and speak of the meanings of life and the universe, just for a laugh then cut to women and cars :)
Spyro - just because we've agreed to meet up so many times yet one thing or another stops it everytime.

Basically most of the people i consider to be "close" friends are the ones i've not met and live far away lol

I don't live too far away...I mean it's only a three hour train ride...or about 6-7 hour car ride, though not sure if it would be worth your while coming here, Thornaby offers nothing exciting...Scratch that, this whole area doesn't really offer much.

Back