Attack on Titan Discussion

BDT87

Student Council President
So this was my highly anticipated series of this season and i'm guessing most of you as well. I have never read the manga only the synopsis and knew everyone loved the manga.
The when I saw the PV I was expecting great things and yup it didn't disappoint. From the first few seconds I was hooked.
The music was great and the cinematography. Don't get me wrong the animation is great as well but I do have some nitpicks on it.
It was one the great first episodes so far this season and the OP was awesome as well.
Here is my first impressions on this anticipated series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh498wFO2rM

What did you make of the series? Let's hear your thoughts!

For me was great too. Like you said, I was hooked since the first few seconds. Great animation (the way i like it), promising young character, promising story and i think we can wait lots of action/blood which is great eheh

Almost in the end when the Titan was about to eat his mother, i thought to myself... nah it aint gonna show anything special... but then it was great and the raining blood was great. The ending of the episode was great with some credits appearing already before ending giving a different style which i appreciate.

Looking forward for the next episode.

I just posted about this in the 'Last anime you watched' thread, lol.

I'd never even heard of this series before I saw the first episode; I was just watching a bunch of new 'first episodes', hoping I would like a few of them, which I did. I really liked this one, although going into it, I didn't realise the show would have elements of tragedy. Not really fan of that kind of thing in anime, but I liked everything else about the episode - so much so that I have now read half of the currently published manga series (online), and can't wait to read more!

I hope you'll at least be reading the 'more' from Kodansha as it would be a great shame if the creators put together an anime and manga you thought was fantastic, only to get nothing in return for their efforts at any stage ^^;

(Please, try to be more discreet...)

R

Oh definitely. This is a manga series, of which I'll be buying all available volumes as soon as I get my next grant installment next week. I tend to do that after 'sampling' series online, if I enjoy them, so that the creators get a little something from me for their efforts; I think this series is worth the purchase. I'm surprised that it has such a fan following and is so popular, yet I had never heard of it before. Makes me wonder what else I may be missing out on.

Whilst I enjoyed the first episode a lot, is the Manga any good?
I'm in a bit of "Let's Throw money at Manga" mood at the mo'. Bought Tiger and Bunny v1 as well as some more Railgun, but passed on Titan at the last second due to not really knowing much about it.

I think the manga is very good. The downsides I would mention, though, are that the art style is a little unrefined at the start (but gets better quickly enough, within one or two volumes). Also, the mangaka can't draw a balled up fist held to the chest (the soldiers' salute) properly. Unless the soldiers really are holding their fists in such an unnatural and uncomfortable position (I tried it), which is a possibility. Storyline-wise, it's great! And has left me wanting more. I just realised, though, that I haven't read half of it so far; I somehow got confused with the chapter to volume thing, and I have only read 11 chapters (which is almost 3 volumes), so I've decided to hold off on reading any more until I've bought them from Amazon.

Anyway, maybe I should stop talking about the manga, since this is the anime thread. :p

At some point, I'm going to go back and rewatch the first episode; just in case there's anything I missed. I also think I may have skipped the OP and ED (as I tend to do with most anime).

Finally got round to watching the first episode this morning and I was suitably impressed. It's a great looking show with a novel idea behind it, although I can't say I was immediately won over by the main character. It's early days though and I'll certainly stick with it for the time being.

The manga for this is possibly one of my current favourites and Kodansha USA are doing a great job of releasing it. All available legit through Amazon.co.uk too - highly recommended.

Andrew

I just watched the first two episodes and...wow. I don't think I've been more impressed with a show's first episode as much as I was with Attack On Titan's. The animation, the music, the emotion...it was awe-striking.

I just did a quick search and the manga is so hard to find. I ended up ordering volume 1 from Waterstones and volume 2 from The Book Depository. Hopefully with the anime starting, KodanshaUSA put out another print run. Used my Waterstones point to get volume 1 for free though =3.

Having read the manga I'm a bit annoyed with the way the anime is leaving things out. We are only three episodes in and today's episode showed a chapter from Vol. 4 of the manga. That's a lot of story skipped.

Ian Wolf said:
Having read the manga I'm a bit annoyed with the way the anime is leaving things out. We are only three episodes in and today's episode showed a chapter from Vol. 4 of the manga. That's a lot of story skipped.
I haven't read the manga yet (volume 2 has arrived but not volume 1) and I did note that the pacing seems to be way too fast - episode 2 in particular felt jarring at places.

Also, what I took out of episode 3: Potatoes are serious business.
tumblr_mllcezLEFY1qf91apo1_500.png

Imagine-nation, NHK World's anime/manga programme, is featuring Attack On Titan as its 'main theme' tomorrow 23/04/2103 and Wednesday 24/04/2013

Times(UK)
23/04
16:30, 20:30
24/04
00:30, 04:30, 08:30, 12:30

Link to the programme's page on the NHK World site including a preview of tomorrow's show and archives of previous shows.

Back