Ask our reporter in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Chris

I've been thinking of going to Japan to study Japanese. I was wondering if you had any information on this subject/advice? Any idea what kind of qualifications are needed to get into programs and which ones are good? I'd MUCH rather be in Tokyo than anywhere else but I might be willing to let go of that if it really would be better someplace else.

Chris said:
D'ya
Whats a "d'ya"??

Slang for Dont You? as in "D'ya know what that means?"

Hows things going Chris? Hope all is well.

Edit: Chris, one of those links is very interesting and i'm going to look at it further. Thanks.

Hey Chris, another question for you, do you still pronounce the 'R' in your name when speaking in japanese, or do you pronounce it like an 'L'?

Thanks! :)

The closest thing to "d'ya" would probably using "kai" at the end.
e.g.
"D'ya know what that means?"
"あれ、知ってるかい?"

There does seem to be a misconception that Japanese people always mix up R's and L's, but it's nothing like that. There is no L in Japanese, the nearest thing to it in English is R, people just get confused with which one to use when. I never say my name with an L.
:wink:

I meant the L sound, not the actual letter, sorry for not clearing that up. :p

Olmus said:

Both the sound "L" and the letter "L" don't exist in Japanese. Well, some people say words like "ramen" or "raiyu" with the R sounding like an L.

Chris said:
Olmus said:

Both the sound "L" and the letter "L" don't exist in Japanese. Well, some people say words like "ramen" or "raiyu" with the R sounding like an L.

Oh..*throws book away*

Parapara
No, thank god.

Olmus, or anyone, if you have any other questions, please ask away- I'm at work all week and I get bored :cry:

I have a question, it may have already been asked but if your bored I suppose you can answer it again :)

Why is it that in most anime, bath water is green? Do Japanese people always put something in the baths or what, and if so, what is it?

Chris, I may be coming out to Japan in the next two years to teach english as an ALT. Do you have any knowledge of this? from everything i've read and looked at everyones that has done it has loved it and it's something i'm really interested in doing.

Also what would you say are the best areas to try and get a palcement in, god knows how many prefectures there are.

Another F1 q for you today Chris, but after this weekends Canadian GP Is Sato being touted as a hero or are they also going Hamilton mad?

Green water
Most people put stuff in the water- 入浴剤. Theres loads of different... flavours? do bath salts and stuff like that have "flavours"? Oh well, you know what I mean.

ALT
Be prepared to act like a dick. I've never done that, did teach English for a bit but only 'cos I couldn't speak Japanese. Never did the singing/dancing stuff due to a high level of respect for myself. Seen people do it though and they seem to have fun.
Apparently most placements are outside of Tokyo, many out in the countryside, I'm not talking "Deliverance" but the countryside is BAD. Boring and irritating- maybe it's because I'm a city-boy, I don't know.
At least try and bet a placement in the Kanto area, so you can get to Tokyo on a regular basis and not be bored out of your face of seeing temples (Kyoto= temples and nothing much else and if you've seen one- you've seen them ALL) or other stuff like that. You'll probably be forced into doing some "cultural" stuff, which basicly means- Japanese traditional clothes, Japanese lessons, Shodo, Sado, and other degrading things. But if you're into Japanese culture/tradition (which as you can guess, I'm not) you'd enjoy it.
If you want any more specific info. PM or mail me and I'll see what I can get for you.

F1
To be honest, F1 only get coverage when the Japanese racers are doing well. No-one really cares about the other drivers. It's the same with just about every other sport. Last year there was a big Champions League game, Man U Vs some other BIG team, can't remember who but it was sure to be a good game. What did Japanese TV do??? Well, of course, they showed a NORMAL Scottish Premier League game that had Nakamura playing for Celtic. WHO...GIVES...A...****???
The only time F1 gets shown LIVE is then theres a window in the TV schedule and nothing else "important" is going on. Of course though, they'll put ALL the games for the Japanese National VolleyBall team on at prime time and cancel other programs if the game over-runs! For VOLLEYBALL!?! Now, excuse me if I'm wrong, but wasn't volleyball the thing you did in P.E. when it was raining outside and there was nothing else left to do?
It's like a joke thats not even funny or makes sense, like "Why did the chicken cross the road? Because last tuesday Ken scratched his leg when he woke up."

I am SO glad that I'm either working or sleeping, watching TV annoys the hell out of me.

I used to watch every race, no matter what time, when I was in the UK. Last Sundays race was the FIRST I've seen live on TV in Japan in 7 years!!! Sure, I haven't paid much attention, there probably has been many races shown live, but I haven't seen them. All the comentators seem to talk about is how the Japanese are doing, and since they're CRAP it's mostly about how they crashed or stalled. NOT interesting TV.

Rant rant rant rant rant rant rant ...

Don't really hear an awful lot about it except when there's a new game out. "Dragon Quest" is a LOT more popular.

how much would it cost about for 2 weeks in a hotel (not exactally wanting a top of the range hotel) and a flight for two people? cos i really wanna go sorry if this question has been repeated T_T also would like the numbers in pounds :D thank you!!!

For cheap flights to Japan, I'd recomend here:
http://www.gendai.co.uk/en/
Depending on the time of year you can get flights for about 350 pounds.

As for hotels, if you want cheap the one I work at is out of the question :wink: You might be better renting an appartment for 2 weeks or trying a "Gaijin House"- wouldn't do it myself, but if you want cheap...
http://www.sakura-house.com/

Manga? To be honest I'm so out of touch with reality you wouldn't believe it. I know "Nodame..." is still pretty popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back