Ask our reporter in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey chris. I move out to Japan this time next week and will be living there foor a year. So i was wondering, is there any essentials you think i should bring with me that you think i would miss whilst living out there?

Thanks.

chaos-unleashed said:
is naruto the most popular anime in jap @ the moment?
Well yeah, but it still isn't as popular as the all-time favourites like Doraemon of Sazae-san.

Learning Japanese
Its probably going to be difficult to learn to speak without sounding like a forigner at home. Imersion is the best idea. Watch as much Japanese TV or listen to as much music etc as possible. Learn hiragana and katakana and DON'T write Japanese words in English- use hira/katakana or kanji.
Those podcasts sound useful but it depends of the subject I guess.

Things to bring
I'd go for:
Tea- good old PG tips or some other English tea. Top stuff :!:

Medicine- paracetamol and other pain-killers etc can be expensive. I'd also bring some Andrews Liver Salts (for use after booze) and some stuff for heartburn of upset stomachs (most medice is a bit expensive so stuff like that can be quite useful)

Hot Water Bottle- winter can get cold and again, they're expensive here.

er... thats all I can think of...

What's the most talked about next gen console over there in the games mags or by people?? Im thinkin its between PS3 n the Wii I hear Japs dont really like the 360 coz of its american-ness

Chris what can you never leave home without in japan? a la phrase book map that kinda thing. and is it tourist friendly? and what the drinking age? me and my mates may be planning a trip on the back of the info you provise thanks

I never leave home without my mobile phone. But unless you can understand Japanese it's pretty impossible I guess. So, I think you'll probably be best with your run of the mill guide book, the one that has some handy phrases in it for when you get stuck.

Japan is very tourist friendly. The legal age for drinking and smoking is 20, but I doubt that you'd get asked for ID. And booze and cigs are available at vending machines in the street anyway.

How much are cheap kimonos and where are the best places to get a half decent quality one without breaking the bank?

Also, is there anywhere in the UK that sells cheapo ones? I've been meaning to go to Mitsukoshi but I haven't been able to get there for the last few months so i can't even check their prices (although I don't think they are cheap anyway)

cornixt said:
How much are cheap kimonos and where are the best places to get a half decent quality one without breaking the bank?

Also, is there anywhere in the UK that sells cheapo ones? I've been meaning to go to Mitsukoshi but I haven't been able to get there for the last few months so i can't even check their prices (although I don't think they are cheap anyway)

probually disney prices but the cheapest on i saw is the one chaz got at £49 :s

I have absolutely no idea about where to get one in the UK. Kimono's are probably expensive though so I'd recomend buying a "Yukata". Since they're cheaper.
Never worn either- forigners in those kind of clother look daft and I'm not really into all that "Japanese" thing.

When I go to work tommorrow I'll look for some info (I'm on my mobile at the moment). I know you can get some Yukata's for less than Y10,000.

cornixt said:

You might be able to find one on ebay if you have a look, i've seen a few, and also if you really want one and are willing to import you can buy Vintage Kimonos from Yamatoku Corp. They sell Kimonos with a large range of prices, the site is in English, but it's based in Japan so postage is pretty expensive. It's all to expensive for me, but thats probably just because i have no money at all, lol

Thanks everyone. It is actually for my wife so a yakuta would be fine. Thejapaneseshop sells the type she wants for £59.99. Doomo

Laughing Manji said:
Yukata's are made form cotton, and are a kind of summer-wear version.
I was about to ask about the difference between a yukata and a kimono actually! I'm guessing it's an expensive proposition for a good quality one either way - same as party dresses and tailored suits over here I suppose.

I take it this sort of get-up is reserved for festivals and special occasions?

Speaking of special occasions, have you seen any traditional taiko drumming? I saw a UK group perform at a concert last weekend and wondered if you'd had the chance to hear some 'authentic' performances. I know next to nothing about the style but it's quite different from anything else I'd heard!

Kiomno's are only really worn on special occasions. Yukata's are worn anytime but, they're a bit too much of a messing around to put on so they're not really used all that much.

I've never seen any Taiko drumming. They do it a lot at festivals, but I don't like festivals so I don't go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back