Ask our reporter in Japan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
shaman king
no not really, hardly ever hear of it.

most heavily merchandised anime or videogame 'series'
Dragon Quest?

Getting stared at for being British
Yeah, all the time. Maybe it's because I wear nothing but Union-Jack clothes, only eat fish and chips and walk about with my passport stapled to my head. (Joke)

A couple of Questions... One of them is game related...

1. Is the Shin Megami tensei series a pretty popular game (since its like based on Japan).
2. What is the Oxygen Bar like ? (I know, weird question)

LukasROAR said:
CitizenGeek said:
What's the the most popular show on TV at the moment, in Japan?

Dammit i was going to ask that :p

What's the newest, most popular anime and manga series in Japan at the moment?

I always think this popularity questions come down to what you pay attention to. Its the same as asking. Whats the most popular animated show? It would fall down to something like The Simpsons, Because its everyone knows about it. But there really is "no" way of knowing what is the most popular in Japan.

Just saying is all!?

Well, there is, really. I don't really watch the Simpsons at all, but I know that's the most poplular cartoon in the West. Likewise, I don't watch Coronation Street, but I know that's the most popular show on TV at the moment!

^_^

Jayme said:
LukasROAR said:
CitizenGeek said:
What's the the most popular show on TV at the moment, in Japan?

Dammit i was going to ask that :p

What's the newest, most popular anime and manga series in Japan at the moment?

I always think this popularity questions come down to what you pay attention to. Its the same as asking. Whats the most popular animated show? It would fall down to something like The Simpsons, Because its everyone knows about it. But there really is "no" way of knowing what is the most popular in Japan.

Just saying is all!?

Course there is, tv ratings, merchandising.
Basically what i meant is the new craze, and surely its easy to pick out what that is at current if you live in Japan, it's just taking note of whats around you.

LukasROAR said:
Basically what i meant is the new craze, and surely its easy to pick out what that is at current if you live in Japan, it's just taking note of whats around you.

Chris has mentioned Dragon Quest if you look back. I have no idea what is it. But he says its popular. But of course things could have changed between then and now. :D

Jayme said:
LukasROAR said:

Chris has mentioned Dragon Quest if you look back. I have no idea what is it. But he says its popular. But of course things could have changed between then and now. :D

Yeah, that Dragon Quest statement does seem to conflict with a lot of what I've heard from others in Japan. I know DQ outsells Final Fantasy and Pokémon, but I'm pretty sure FF and Pokemon are much more heavily merchandised than DQ.

Jayme said:
LukasROAR said:

Ace, i didn't even know Dragon Quest had an anime
I'll have to look it up.
Thanks for the info.

Pokemon still going strong over there?

LukasROAR said:
Jayme said:
LukasROAR said:

I'll have to look it up.
Thanks for the info.

No, I don't think Chris was talking about Dragon Quest in terms of anime. As far as I know, there's no currently-airing DQ anime.

LukasROAR said:
Jayme said:
LukasROAR said:

I'll have to look it up.
Thanks for the info.

Although I don't live there, I've heard from a native it's still extremely popular amongst the younger generation. (11-ish?)

Not sure if someone can confirm this, but aren't pokemon cards/games/the anime still extremely popular in primary schools in the UK?

Motoko said:
Not sure if someone can confirm this, but aren't pokemon cards/games/the anime still extremely popular in primary schools in the UK?

I can confirm this due to my brother. It seemed to gain popularity again last year and hasn't died out. Its not at the same obsessive level that it was back in '98/'99. But it still is a popular trend among primary school pupils. :D

Hey again Chris,

How popular is rugby in Japan? I take it even less popular as football is, but i saw a decent turn out for the Australia world cup game today.

Thanks

Hallo Chris.

Do people still wear kamonos (not sure of the spelling, I'm sure you know what I mean though? If I ever went I'd love to wear one haha :-/.

Thanks!

Sorry for being awaay for such a long time. Had a LOT of personal **** to deal with, still going through a load of it. Hopefully it will be all sorted out soon 'cos it's been hell. よろしく.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back