Asian Cinema Thread

Arrow has also announced standard edition (well technically first print editions) for the Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest films. SRP for each 4K release is £29.99.

The Big Boss includes The Big Boss: Mandarin Cut 4K Ultra HD disc.

Fist of Fury is on its own.

The Way of the Dragon includes the Final Game of Death Blu-ray disc.

Game of Death includes Game of Death II (Tower of Death) Blu-ray disc.

Looks like what's missing are Game of Death's Alternate Version and the two Bruce Lee documentaries.

Arrow has also announced standard edition (well technically first print editions) for the Bruce Lee at Golden Harvest films. SRP for each 4K release is £29.99.

The Big Boss includes The Big Boss: Mandarin Cut 4K Ultra HD disc.

Fist of Fury is on its own.

The Way of the Dragon includes the Final Game of Death Blu-ray disc.

Game of Death includes Game of Death II (Tower of Death) Blu-ray disc.

Looks like what's missing are Game of Death's Alternate Version and the two Bruce Lee documentaries.
Glad I held off on the box set as I wasn't a fan of the big box.
Will definitely pick up Way of the Dragon & Big Boss on release then the other 2 after Christmas.

Last edited:
Yeah just saw those. I’m happy with my yellow box but good for those who missed out or preferred singular releases.

For anyone who enjoys the Don Lee Roundup films Capelight have announced a 4K of the 3rd film.
After the 2nd had English subs this one appears to have the English dub as well so wouldn't be to surprised if Capelight have the UK rights too after their first foray here with the Bloodsport 4K 🤞

Been a while since I've posted on here but wanted to highlight the latest batch incoming by Eureka Entertainment.

Three more Asian Cinema titles; two from Hong Kong and a double film pack from Japan.

1698441956021.png1698441995109.png1698442008219.png

Kung Fu Cult Master (倚天屠龍記之魔教教主)
1993 film by Wong Jing
29th January 2024 - Eureka Classics

Samurai Wolf 1 & 2 (牙狼之介 / 牙狼之介 地獄斬り)
1966-67 films by Hideo Gosha
29th January 2024 - Eureka Masters of Cinema

When Taekwondo Strikes (跆拳震九州)
1993 film by Huang Feng
22nd January 2024 - Eureka Classics

If you have been following the US scene, you may have noticed that Vinegar Syndrome included a documentary from 1990 called The Best of the Martial Arts Films by Sandra Weintraub, with their Righting Wrongs release. Eureka Entertainment were able to pick up the UK rights and add it to their When Taekwondo Strikes release. Plus it will be improved upon with remastered footage as well as the correct aspect ratio for all previously cropped movies featured in it.

And a shameless plug but I do compile a lot of the incoming Asian Cinema title slates on my blog which looks visibly better than posting it here. So if you want a bit more context on each newly planned release for your Asian Cinema collection, feel free to take a look.

I can't remember if I asked this before but does anyone have any recommendations for Asian cinema that's:

1. Not primarily in the action/martial arts genre.

2. Not really gory and not horror.

3. Not a depressing/disturbing drama about the futility of life or heavily themed around social/political problems? (I do care about these issues, but I am looking for some more lighthearted things?)

Aka more like rom coms, slice of life, family films that kinda stuff? Stuff like Instant Swamp and

is the kinda vibe I'm looking for I guess? :)

I can't remember if I asked this before but does anyone have any recommendations for Asian cinema that's:

1. Not primarily in the action/martial arts genre.

2. Not really gory and not horror.

3. Not a depressing/disturbing drama about the futility of life or heavily themed around social/political problems? (I do care about these issues, but I am looking for some more lighthearted things?)

Aka more like rom coms, slice of life, family films that kinda stuff? Stuff like Instant Swamp and

is the kinda vibe I'm looking for I guess? :)

Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes
Summer Time Machine Blues
Cyborg She
K-20 Legend of the Black Mask
Kikujiro
Ping Pong
Kamikaze Girls
Time Traveller: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Getting Any?
Dolls
Uzumasa Limelight
Fish Story
The Foreign Duck, The Native Duck and God in a Coin Locker
See You Tomorrow, Everyone
Sake Bomb
Funuke, Show Some Love, You Losers!

Crime or Punishment?!?​

Fuku-chan of Fukufuku Flats​

Fine, Totally Fine

Quirky Guys and Gals​

Dasepo Naughty Girls

Might as well just click over to Third Window Films and click at random, you'll definitely find something of interest.

Beyond the Infinite Two Minutes
Summer Time Machine Blues
Cyborg She
K-20 Legend of the Black Mask
Kikujiro
Ping Pong
Kamikaze Girls
Time Traveller: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Getting Any?
Dolls
Uzumasa Limelight
Fish Story
The Foreign Duck, The Native Duck and God in a Coin Locker
See You Tomorrow, Everyone
Sake Bomb
Funuke, Show Some Love, You Losers!

Crime or Punishment?!?​

Fuku-chan of Fukufuku Flats​

Fine, Totally Fine

Quirky Guys and Gals​

Dasepo Naughty Girls

Might as well just click over to Third Window Films and click at random, you'll definitely find something of interest.

I've seen Dolls if you mean the anthology with three interlinked stories? That was really interesting I liked it a lot, I have seen Kamikaze Girls and would say I liked rather than loved, not sure if I have the DVD still or not, would like to see it again. Fish Story was very neat I mentioned that to a friend the other day who likes Japanese cinema, and I tried Fine, Totally Fine the other day but found it a bit tasteless couldn't get past the first 10 minutes tbh (there were things I liked about it but not enough to continue). I guess there's always live action adaptations of shoujo manga as well... I did think of doing as you suggested and checking out the Third Window Films website but wanted to hear what people here particularly recommend. I will try to report back here when I've watched more of the live action Asian cinema I already have :)

I will check out some of the ones you mentioned and look into others :)

Has anyone here actually seen Tang and Me? I really wanna see it it looks so cute and funny from the trailer :)

88Films are having a sale which covers (from what I can see) most of their in-stock items.
Man. I wish I had noticed this sooner because I missed out on Untold Story and two other films :(

Well at least I still managed to grab bunch of other ones.

New batches from 88 Films and Eureka Entertainment.

1700171373323.png1700171441631.png1700171475675.png

Beauty of Beauties (西施)
1965 film by Li Han-Hsiang
11th March 2024 - 88 Asia

The Inspector Wears Skirts II (神勇飛虎霸王花)
1989 film by Wellson Chin
11th March 2024 - 88 Asia
Note: Due to licensing restrictions, the first three films are being released separately rather than a box set.

So Close (夕陽天使)
2002 film by Corey Yuen
28th February 2024 - 88 Asia

1700171232996.png

Also revealed is a new line-up for 88 Films dedicated to Japanese films, called JAPANARCHY.

Tokyo Decadence (トパーズ)
1992 film by Ryū Murakami
29th January 2024 - JAPANARCHY #01

Evil Dead Trap (夕陽天使)
1988 film by Toshiharu Ikeda
28th February 2024 - JAPANARCHY #02

Evil Dead Trap II: Hideki (死霊の罠2ヒデキ)
1992 film by Izo Hashimoto
28th February 2024 - JAPANARCHY #03

1698441956021.png
1698441995109.png

Slaughter In San Francisco (黄面老虎)
1974 film by Lo Wei
19th February 2024 - Eureka Classics

Yakuza Wolf 1 & 2 (狼やくざ 殺しは俺がやる / 狼やくざ 葬いは俺が出す)
1972 films by Ryuichi Takamori & Buichi Saitô
19th February 2024 - Eureka Classics

Beauty of Beauties is a very welcome and unexpected announcement from 88 Films; hopefully this bodes well for a release of The Love Eterne - which is a god-damn masterpiece but it looks like labels are largely avoiding the Shaw Brothers' catalog of huangmei and period films

Alright Asian film buffs. Someone on a different forum asked about a film

"It's a Japanese movie from the 70s or 80's. This bloke has a small fishing business which he runs with his wife. One night, he's out on his boat, and it explodes, killing him. His wife, suspects murder, and goes into hiding to find out the truth. Turns out some oil company with ties to the Yakuza was behind it, and the movie ends with the wife going on a murder frenzy with an insane body count"

Any ideas?

Someone else answered.
Mermaid Legend (1984) aka Ningyo Densetsu (人魚伝説)
I noticed this is also a Director's Company title in Japan, which could join Third Window Film's line-up of releases under that brand.

• The Crazy Family
  • DOOR & DOOR II
  • The Guard from Underground
  • Love Hotel
  • Luminous Woman
  • Typhoon Club

Back