AnimEigo's next kickstarter: Otaku no Video Blu-ray

qaiz

Pokémon Master
AnimEigo, the people who brought us the Kickstarter for Bubblegum Crisis have revealed their next project, which is Otaku no Video on Blu-ray. Not much is known at the moment as this was just sent out as an email to backers of Bubblegum Crisis, however what we do know is that the BD itself can be had for the low price of $25 with the more expensive tiers coming with extras.

More info will be added as it comes in. I was going to import the subtitle-less Japanese Blu-ray so I'm happy about this.
Link

Just finished reading about this myself (but wasn't going to mention it as it hasn't gone public!). $25 certainly isn't expensive for the basic item, but I don't feel any great need to upgrade my DVD copy tbh. I like OnV well enough, but I don't love it to the point of wanting to chuck lots of money at it.

I'm disappointed in you betraying Robert's trust in us like that qaiz. This was supposed to be our little secret. :p

Such an easy back at the $25 tier, almost seems too cheap.

Should I start a separate Kickstarter to buy the Otaking tier reward for chaos?

While the price seems good initially, once you factor in the shipping within the EU, it comes close to £30 in total, which seems a little much for under 2 hours of content. Maybe that's just me.

Actually that's a point. I didn't even see that shipping was $20 for us, and $25 is currently only 88p over the import taxation threshold of £15.

Might suggest they lower the price to $23 for the UK and offer $10 shipping.

I would back it without even thinking first at that price, even though it would be a triple dip. There's a definite feeling that there could be a tier between that and the mostly-pointless name-in-the-credits one. Shame about the way the pricing works out for us.

R

I got hit hard with BGC for customs so appreciate them having a forward shipment.
I will definitely be backing this. Even though I only grabbed the basic BGC I would like a premium version of this. Because....GAINAX!!! So I agree a $60-$70 version with a nice box and maybe artbook

I'm personally fine with the price, I never really consider run-time when it comes to things like that, as long as the content is good I'm all ears. Ive paid more for shorter films/OVA's!

Just to be clear I don't think the price is bad even at $45, for me it's more a case of "Why go to the trouble of pre-paying import taxes for people and including them in the shipping fee if you could lower the price by £1 and avoid having to deal with import taxes altogether?"

Of course if doing that might make it only cost $35 or $40, I certainly wouldn't complain.

Those price tiers are fruity, feels like it needs at least a $50 tier (which should probably be the stuff in the $100 tier, with a new extra added to the $100 tier) and a $500 tier (the cells/sketches are a bit of a poke in the eye even for me, compared to what I was willing to give to the Eve no Jikan kickstarter).

IncendiaryLemon said:
While the price seems good initially, once you factor in the shipping within the EU, it comes close to £30 in total, which seems a little much for under 2 hours of content. Maybe that's just me.
I think it's just you who looks at "value" as such a medical procedure, devoid of any relation to what the "content" actually is.

Just got a chance to look at the email as I backed the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-Ray set.

I've not watched Otaku no Video and probably won't back this project (doesn't look like my cup of tea). But it should be good for those interested. The Kickstarter tiers seem pretty reasonable.

I'd be tempted to go for this at $25 - but when you add the shipping on too, it's a little pricey as it stands. Will keep an eye on it though.

ilmaestro said:
Those price tiers are fruity, feels like it needs at least a $50 tier (which should probably be the stuff in the $100 tier, with a new extra added to the $100 tier) and a $500 tier (the cells/sketches are a bit of a poke in the eye even for me, compared to what I was willing to give to the Eve no Jikan kickstarter).

IncendiaryLemon said:
I think it's just you who looks at "value" as such a medical procedure, devoid of any relation to what the "content" actually is.

Personally, I've never even heard of this show before today, it could be the greatest anime ever created for all I know, so I don't know how good or bad the content actually is, but you can't tell me, even if you really like the show that two 40 minute episodes without any special packaging (Unless you count a different colour amaray case) or any other extras is a little on the high side? Even if someone was selling my favourite show ever at £30 for 4 20 minute episodes in a standard blu ray box, I still wouldn't buy it. Again, it could just be me, the first thing I look at when I look at any anime is the price due to low income. I'd probably be less concerned too if I was earning more.

It does have extras - the commentary tracks weren't previously available, and those are going to be worth their weight in gold for a show like this. If physical extras float your boat then uh, I guess there are the postcards >_>;

I'm not saying everyone should buy it; indeed, it's a snapshot of a bygone era so it's inherently more appealing to people who are interested in the background of anime and its fandom. People who want some gloriously-animated, modern, story-heavy content won't enjoy Otaku No Video. But if you have even the slightest interest in a semi-fictional anime-themed documentary then this is the kind of title which doesn't come around every day, so it's no wonder people are getting excited. It's effectively an undiluted dose of all of the interesting Japanese production material and silliness we usually miss out on in western releases!

People who are curious but don't want to take a punt at the price can still benefit from the older fans offloading their DVD copies ready for the upgrade, so I hope everyone will benefit.

R

IncendiaryLemon said:
ilmaestro said:

IncendiaryLemon said:

Personally, I've never even heard of this show before today, it could be the greatest anime ever created for all I know, so I don't know how good or bad the content actually is, but you can't tell me, even if you really like the show that two 40 minute episodes without any special packaging (Unless you count a different colour amaray case) or any other extras is a little on the high side? Even if someone was selling my favourite show ever at £30 for 4 20 minute episodes in a standard blu ray box, I still wouldn't buy it. Again, it could just be me, the first thing I look at when I look at any anime is the price due to low income. I'd probably be less concerned too if I was earning more.
I think it's just symptomatic of people being drawn into that line of thinking by Manga's race-to-the-bottom style of pricing and releases.

The first thing I look at when I'm buying toilet roll and sink cleaner is the price, the first thing I look at when I'm buying anime is the quality of the content.

Isn't a race to the bottom style of pricing a good thing for a consumer? I know I personally don't mind and I think the prices for most of their sets are fairly reasonable and I don't think I'd be willing to pay much more than what the prices are now, personally.

Back