Sparrowsabre7 said:
animefreak17 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
animefreak17 said:
i need help

Nobody denies it :p

jeez even on here im the odd 1 out

Just teasin' AF lol

im going to tell you how i liked to be teased ........................ you get a cardcaptor complete collection boxset and say to me its yours then you go just joking. then i hit ya and grab the boxset and say thank you and run off lol. yeah i know you was joking

check this out

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5GJN0boye70?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5GJN0boye70?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

animefreak17 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
animefreak17 said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
animefreak17 said:
i need help

Nobody denies it :p

jeez even on here im the odd 1 out

Just teasin' AF lol

im going to tell you how i liked to be teased ........................ you get a cardcaptor complete collection boxset and say to me its yours then you go just joking. then i hit ya and grab the boxset and say thank you and run off lol. yeah i know you was joking

That's a strange notion of foreplay... oh. Not THAT kind of teasing :p

It is a transparent notion. If I watch something lasting half an hour, to give a standard example, I can say that I have aged half an hour with time whilst watching it. The same can be said, mutatis mutandis, of anything else.

animefreak17 said:
what do people mean by aged with time when they watch something i dont get that?

That's not what it means, zin5ki is merely indulging in some delightful banter, such as is his wont.

Generally when people say a series has aged well or poorly with time, it means that it is either still good after so many years (e.g. Akira) or it no longer holds up well in light of current day releases (e.g. M.D. Geist, Vampire Hunter D, though those two are my opinion and others may feel differently)

Generally only true classics are considered to age well, to the point where their themes remain relevant, or the plot remains intelligent even by comparison to modern day films. THe animation style is also a factor, like with videogame graphics. Many older N64 era games do not hold up well today because of their blocky graphics and have therefore "not aged well."

I now feel I have spent way too much time explaining this lol

In response to your previous question, I'll probably get Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex after my birthday and I've got some cash to splash. After that it's gonna be a loooooooooong wait till one of the series I want gets released lol.

Sparrowsabre7 said:
Generally only true classics are considered to age well, to the point where their themes remain relevant, or the plot remains intelligent even by comparison to modern day films.
Films with intelligent plots have always been a minority throughout the history of cinema, surely? There are plenty of classics (in both anime and live action) with ridiculous plots. And not that I'm trying to pick your statement totally to pieces, but are there themes which become irrelevant? Even if the world or prevailing attitudes change, underlying themes remain and are still relevant in a historical or allegorical context.

The only thing I've noticed that denotes a classic (or for that matter something which has aged poorly) is the prevailing attitude to the work in question at any particular time. IMO it's a bit of a nonsense really, as so many things (not just anime) drop in and out of classic status as they are subjected to "re-appraisal" to use a favourite word of the media. Personally I've always thought that it should be fairly apparent if something's rubbish or not to begin with.

ayase said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Generally only true classics are considered to age well, to the point where their themes remain relevant, or the plot remains intelligent even by comparison to modern day films.
Films with intelligent plots have always been a minority throughout the history of cinema, surely? There are plenty of classics (in both anime and live action) with ridiculous plots. And not that I'm trying to pick your statement totally to pieces, but are there themes which become irrelevant? Even if the world or prevailing attitudes change, underlying themes remain and are still relevant in a historical or allegorical context.

The only thing I've noticed that denotes a classic (or for that matter something which has aged poorly) is the prevailing attitude to the work in question at any particular time. IMO it's a bit of a nonsense really, as so many things (not just anime) drop in and out of classic status as they are subjected to "re-appraisal" to use a favourite word of the media. Personally I've always thought that it should be fairly apparent if something's rubbish or not to begin with.

Well I was just giving examples. And well, themes don't always remain relevant, or at least lose some of the impact. For instance, the Incredible Hulk (comic) was an answer to cold war nuclear paranoia, something which, while there is still the fear of nuclear power in the back of people's minds, is no longer quite as pressing an issue.

But like I said I was just giving a few exmples of why things may be perceived to not have aged well, not a definitive, subjective list.

ayase said:
Personally I've always thought that it should be fairly apparent if something's rubbish or not to begin with.
This is, almost by default, not necessarily the case at the absolute pinnacle of a discipline, though, because when truly breakthrough works are created the people appraising the work usually lack the experience and knowledge to overcome their gap in talent to the people creating the innovative work. Virtually everything needs historical context and considerable reflection before its true worth becomes apparent.

i only recently realised when i brought *big windup* i noticed its the only anime thats sports related iv got now, i haven't seen it yet but after iv watched phoenix tomorrow il watch big windup the day after. i guess it'll be my first sports anime. what was your first

animefreak17 said:
i only recently realised when i brought *big windup* i noticed its the only anime thats sports related iv got now, i haven't seen it yet but after iv watched phoenix tomorrow il watch big windup the day after. i guess it'll be my first sports anime. what was your first

If motorsport counts the only sports anime I've seen is Redline.

The only sports manga I've read was an original German-language manga called Gothic Sports. Not that brilliant to be honest.

I think part of the problem for me is that my favourite sport is cricket and a cricket manga has only just been created (adapted from a baseball manga).

animefreak17 said:
@Ian Wolf..................?? really redline counts

Like I said, it depends on if think motorsport (like Formula 1) are a form of sport. Seeing as Redline is about a motor race, you could in a way argue it is a sports film if you are so inclined.

Ian Wolf said:
animefreak17 said:
@Ian Wolf..................?? really redline counts

Like I said, it depends on if think motorsport (like Formula 1) are a form of sport. Seeing as Redline is about a motor race, you could in a way argue it is a sports film if you are so inclined.

um ok big windup is my first sports anime that plays with a ball lol

I think my first sporty series was Slow Step (anime), or possibly One Pound Gospel (manga), though neither focuses heavily on the sports side (as I don't know the rules of many sports, that's often beneficial for my understanding of the show). I do enjoy sports anime now, though it always sells so badly that it's rare any comes out in the west and it's not a genre I tend to import.

I liked Slow Step a lot. One Pound Gospel not so much.

Princess Nine is a nice starter sports series that came out in the west if you can track it down. Brilliant music, too.

R

I very much suspect that the first sports-related series I watched or read was Urasawa Naoki's manga, Happy!. I read that on the back of enjoying Monster, though, rather than for its sport affiliation. I suppose TeniPuri was my first sports anime, since it started airing within weeks of my first arrival in Japan.

Back