Animefreak17 And His All-Purpose General Chat Thread

ayase said:
B... But the decline in sound quality! The loss of range! (unless you're ripping in FLAC in which case I tip my hat to you). 256kbps mp3 is tolerable for listening with headphones but I wouldn't want to play it through my stereo.

You would have a fit if you saw my audio setup at home. I love music and seiyuu, but ironically my hearing is absolutely terrible - I don't pick up any detail in the sound when there's air between me and the source, so headphone-quality is as good as it gets :D

R

Rui said:
All of my things are in alphabetical order but my husband's games are by genre and he refuses to comply with the System! O_O
It would be prudent to ask whether you overlook definite articles from titles during the alphabetisation process, a practice of substantial import in certain fields.

On another highly relevant note, titles on the bookshelves of one of my aunts, along with those of my supervisor, are arranged by the colour of their binding in accordance with an ad hoc spectral continuum. A novel practice.

st_owly said:
My anime is alphabetical, my manga is sorted by publisher and line (so Shonen Jump is separate from Shonen Sunday, for example) then alphabetical within that.
Do you live in a book store?

My stuff is sorted by the "where do I have space to put this new stuff... oh, over there" method.

Rui said:
ayase said:
B... But the decline in sound quality! The loss of range! (unless you're ripping in FLAC in which case I tip my hat to you). 256kbps mp3 is tolerable for listening with headphones but I wouldn't want to play it through my stereo.

You would have a fit if you saw my audio setup at home. I love music and seiyuu, but ironically my hearing is absolutely terrible - I don't pick up any detail in the sound when there's air between me and the source, so headphone-quality is as good as it gets :D

R

So you prefer headphones? Interesting. I'm personally slightly averse to them, I've always preferred playing music properly out loud...I'm not really sure why, now that I think about it. I mean, my setup is pretty rubbish, well, its not even a set up, it's just the incredibly crappy default laptop speakers on my mum's Packard Bell...oh how I wish its maximum volume was louder. Yet I still find myself refusing to settle for head/ear phones, maybe I'm just cutting off my nose to spite my face? ahaha.

@ilmaestro - Not quite. I shall put up some pictures of my shelves soon.

I just like good speakers. I have an amazing pair of mixing/mastering headphones and my boyfriend has a pretty good pair of monitors. When I use them, I try and make sure I've got something better than crappy mp3's.

Oh man I would love to own a record player. My Mum used to have one that was built into a large system which had about 4 tape players so you could record from one tape onto the other, record from the radio etc. Kinda miss how hectic it would be recording songs from the radio etc.

vashdaman said:
I've always preferred playing music properly out loud...I'm not really sure why, now that I think about it. I mean, my setup is pretty rubbish, well, its not even a set up, it's just the incredibly crappy default laptop speakers on my mum's Packard Bell...oh how I wish its maximum volume was louder. Yet I still find myself refusing to settle for head/ear phones, maybe I'm just cutting off my nose to spite my face? ahaha.
vashdaman said:
default laptop speakers
8ats.jpg

If you find yourself with the money to spare, get yourself down to Cash Converters Vash. So many quality old stereo separates and speakers which people have replaced for something newer, smaller and worse. I have an old Rotel amp and CD player and a couple of good-sized Sony speakers I bought from there with money I got for my 17th birthday (before that all I had was a portable CD player as my parents were still firmly in the vinyl era). Think it cost me about £150 at the time, but almost eleven years later they're still going strong and it still blows modern all-in-one systems that cost twice as much (or more - I'm looking at you, Bose) out of the water. Especially if the speaker cabinets are plastic or MDF as most tend to be on lower end music systems - Plywood speaker cabinets FTW. No CDs? Get a record player instead and a world of cheap, high quality music can be yours for a fraction of what others pay.

Thanks all great advice, and yeah I really should move on to Vinyl. And trust me, if you actually heard there speakers, your reaction would be even worse than that chap's, they are especially bad for laptop speakers, and somewhat worse than my old laptop's were...

Need some advice please guys, just been offered a 2nd hand PS3 (old style) 80gb, one pad for £100. Is this a good deal? Do the older version consoles have a history of any problems that I should know of like the old 360 3 red lights?

My bro has tonnes of games I can lend so I'm not too fussed I don't get any with it.

Lawrence said:
No idea of the going rate for a PS3 but that doesn't sound too bad. I mean, either way you should probably check it out first, to make sure it works but I mean, I think the problem of yellow light of death was limited to the 60GB model for the large part, really, since it had a tendency to overhead.

Thanks Lawrence, much appreciated :)

I'll definitely give it a good run through before parting with my cash.

Il be getting a new light for my room soon with a new dimmer switch, problem is I'm not sure what sort of light I should get, maybe a an old hanging light will do,

Back