AnimeCentral; a new anime TV channel coming to the UK?

Jumping in late to the topic, I managed to watch a bit of the channel (and propeller) the other day. Propeller can be discarded for its extremely small amounts, but Animecentral has a lot of potential. Though I will say that its initial selection of series is appalling. Transformers does not remotely belong there, Planetes is good, GITS is good as well (though i've been there, done that, didn't want the t-shirt) bleach doesn't interest me and I also own Escaflowne, and as I have said before, Fullmetal Alchemist I consider a brilliant idea let down by awful excution (short jokes suck!)

So not a lot for me yet, but give it time...

They are due to be changing some of the shows on the list at the end of the month i think. Transformers you're going to have to put up with for a long time to come due to the fact that they have about 109 eps to air in total (might be more or less) . For some reason i think they will replace Planetes with Gundam Seed, don't know why, just a hunch.

BlackWolf said:
They are due to be changing some of the shows on the list at the end of the month i think. Transformers you're going to have to put up with for a long time to come due to the fact that they have about 109 eps to air in total (might be more or less) . For some reason i think they will replace Planetes with Gundam Seed, don't know why, just a hunch.

Well I have nothing against Transformers Per Se, but the dubbing ranks as some of the worst ever! (even the early Manga Video dubs beat this, even the god awful 'Angel cop' one sounds brilliant in comparison!)

And it is not so much a case of 'replacing' shows on rotation - it is more of a case of 'more' on rotation, rather than repeat load of times a night.

Still, we hope...

Warmaster said:
Jumping in late to the topic, I managed to watch a bit of the channel (and propeller) the other day. Propeller can be discarded for its extremely small amounts, but Animecentral has a lot of potential. Though I will say that its initial selection of series is appalling. Transformers does not remotely belong there, Planetes is good, GITS is good as well (though i've been there, done that, didn't want the t-shirt) bleach doesn't interest me and I also own Escaflowne, and as I have said before, Fullmetal Alchemist I consider a brilliant idea let down by awful excution (short jokes suck!)

You are very much in a minority I think so far as Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach goes. Both are excellent series in their own right and extremely popular. They have an excellent range of anime amounting to some of the best available. Transformers isn't quite so bad in Japanese (still not as good as many other shows but as a Transformers fan I enjoyed the series) but the dub is just the worst I have ever heard. I was quite surprised to find that AC had commissioned the series' for airing but I guess the whole thing was probably quite cheap for a goodly number of episodes.

Gawyn said:
Warmaster said:

You are very much in a minority I think so far as Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach goes. Both are excellent series in their own right and extremely popular. They have an excellent range of anime amounting to some of the best available. Transformers isn't quite so bad in Japanese (still not as good as many other shows but as a Transformers fan I enjoyed the series) but the dub is just the worst I have ever heard. I was quite surprised to find that AC had commissioned the series' for airing but I guess the whole thing was probably quite cheap for a goodly number of episodes.

I've had the argument about Fullmetal alchemist more times than I can count. Basically I read a story synopsis and it sounded great - a really dark and savage story that really would move people. Then I actually see it and it is presented mostly as a comedy. You cannot imagine how much of a let down that was. It could have been a dark epic and up with Lain and co, instead it is a kids show which occasionally has a dark and serious moment. (I am a proponent of not breaking the suspension of disbelief, and this does it repeatedly) I was savagely disapointed when I saw it on rapture, (I had gone in expecting it to be my fave of the two, I ended with Wolf's Rain being that) Good opening theme though :p

As for Bleach I have not watched it, but the synopses really don't inspire me. And since my dad hogs the tv, finding time to watch it is an issue. I will get there though, so do not think that one is a 'bah' message, just an 'inderferent' one (unlike FMA)

BlackWolf said:
Warmaster said:
Well I have nothing against Transformers Per Se, but the dubbing ranks as some of the worst ever!

Actually i just bought the Transformers Taraka collection boxset to set what it's like in subbed
Yeah, Headmasters et al are better subbed, as are the later Japanese made series(Car Robots/R.I.D, Micron Legend/Armada, Superlink/Energon, Galaxy Force/Cybertron), but thats not difficult considering the dubs for Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory had a cast of 4 or 5 people working on extremely badly translated scripts (where did they get the name Billy for Broadcast, or Wally for Blurr?) and to be blunt I've heard better fandubs than the Star TV dubs for the 3 Takara G1 series.

sniper_samurai said:
BlackWolf said:
Warmaster said:
Well I have nothing against Transformers Per Se, but the dubbing ranks as some of the worst ever!

Actually i just bought the Transformers Taraka collection boxset to set what it's like in subbed
Yeah, Headmasters et al are better subbed, as are the later Japanese made series(Car Robots/R.I.D, Micron Legend/Armada, Superlink/Energon, Galaxy Force/Cybertron), but thats not difficult considering the dubs for Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory had a cast of 4 or 5 people working on extremely badly translated scripts (where did they get the name Billy for Broadcast, or Wally for Blurr?) and to be blunt I've heard better fandubs than the Star TV dubs for the 3 Takara G1 series.

I heard about the differences between the japanese Car Robots and the American RiD, like how they changed the name of the main villian so it would seem more like Traditional Transformers. Though it seems that the RiD started the trend that whenever Megatron got a repaint he called himself Galavtron.

BlackWolf said:
I heard about the differences between the japanese Car Robots and the American RiD, like how they changed the name of the main villian so it would seem more like Traditional Transformers. Though it seems that the RiD started the trend that whenever Megatron got a repaint he called himself Galavtron.

Yeah in Car Robots after his repaint he was still called Gigatron. In Micron Legend he was still called Megatron, he didn't become Galvatron until he was reactivated in Superlink, which is clearly based on G1 Galvatron, but Hasbro decided to go back and call him Megatron again even though they were already calling him Galvatron at the end of Armada.

The only Japanese series that Megatrons repaint is called Galvatron is Galaxy Force, if you discount Superlink seeing as he was already called Galvatron at the start of the series.

Another mistake was calling Rampage Wheeljack in Armada meaning that they had to call Wheeljack Downshift when he actually did appear in Energon.

Ryo Chan said:
Pomtry said:
Does anyone know if this channel will be coming to NTL anytime soon?

in short no

maybe sometime late 08
Mark at Anime Central suggested the earliest possibility would be March 08 if the channel was a success. It is all dependant upon proving it has an audience to Virgin Media to be allocated the space in their bandwidth. As has been mentioned elsewhere, CSC Media who run Anime Central have other channels on Virgin Media so it is by no means out of the question but it will not happen until that benchmark is passed.

Gawyn said:
Mark at Anime Central suggested the earliest possibility would be March 08 if the channel was a success. It is all dependant upon proving it has an audience to Virgin Media to be allocated the space in their bandwidth. As has been mentioned elsewhere, CSC Media who run Anime Central have other channels on Virgin Media so it is by no means out of the question but it will not happen until that benchmark is passed.

Would you think that the 130,000 viewers that AnimeCentral had at last count would be enough for Virgin Media?

CitizenGeek said:
Gawyn said:

Would you think that the 130,000 viewers that AnimeCentral had at last count would be enough for Virgin Media?

not really, Virgin would want atleast 5x that many

Whats up with Anime Central mixing up all their shows. It's typical, just as i was thinking they had a quality thing going they had to start screwing everything up!
Anyway up until this week i have been really happy with Anime Central. I've loved re-watching Escaflowne and Fullmetal Alchemist. I've also loved Planetes, a series i wasn't even going to bother watching, i'm so glad i did.
Transformer though i must say contains one of the crappiest dubs in history, though it's actually quite funny to watch since i find it quite akin to Yu-Gi-Oh abridged :lol: . It's actually almost as bad as the Bleach dub...ok i'm exaggerating there, but i really cannot bear to watch it.

The only thing i really would have liked from Anime Central is for the repeats from 12am to have been subbed, then i think for me the channel really would have been close to perfect! Otherwise all the repeats just seem slightly redundant.

DaNiMe-sama said:
I've had my fair share of spoilers, glad I didn't read this.

I think spoilers are possibly the worst thing you can do in conversation/discussion. Really selfish thing to do, if I were a mod I would create a sticky about having no spoilers except in related discussions in the "views/recommendations" section.

*hits trumpster round the head with a metal baseball bat until he bleeds, while repeatedly kicking him* :)
Like you couldn't work it out yourself. I said nothing that I couldn't see coming since the subject first came up in the series. I just said it was a nice ending.

The important bits is how everything happens and the relationships between the characters.

trumpster said:
DaNiMe-sama said:
I've had my fair share of spoilers, glad I didn't read this.

I think spoilers are possibly the worst thing you can do in conversation/discussion. Really selfish thing to do, if I were a mod I would create a sticky about having no spoilers except in related discussions in the "views/recommendations" section.

*hits trumpster round the head with a metal baseball bat until he bleeds, while repeatedly kicking him* :)
Like you couldn't work it out yourself. I said nothing that I couldn't see coming since the subject first came up in the series. I just said it was a nice ending.

The important bits is how everything happens and the relationships between the characters.

seeing i'm not that far in the series, i couldn't have worked it out

I should be able to continue with Planetes soon enough. :) & :(. Quite annoyed I missed the only got up episode 16 or something of the first showing, So glad about the repeats.

And also, Episode 33 of FMA Is coming out on Wednesday I think, Finally I shall be able to continue with that. YAY

To do with the time changes, I suppose it can be a good thing, For the people whom only watches the first hour, Or something.

BlackWolf said:

Headmasters Transformers is only 35 episodes though isn't it? I know the dub is quite silly and ropey, but it's not so bad that it's unwatchable. It's sort of an old-school starry-eyed thing that for me is quite enjoyable, seeing as i've never watched a Transformers series before, it was all before my time. I only remember the toys being advertised in the mid-90's.

Back