Anime UK News Review of 2018 Part 1: Anime

I would like to know if really was Japans insistence why VE got simulcast
I believe the reason that VE was the one exception to the Netflix binge-drop because unlike most seasonal anime, it was animated and mostly finished before it aired. This gave Netflix a chance to dub it to multiple languages and release it as it aired.

I think a lot of the reason Netflix holds back anime is to dub them and release to more than just a English sub audience.

As for stuff I've enjoyed this year, Hinamatsuri jumps out as one of my top shows that hasn't been mentioned. Loved every moment of that show and how it could from funny to tearful to funny again so quickly.

I think there is a lot of talk around the mainstream series because those are what we universally enjoyed the most, but I feel like quite a few of the writers have chosen some unique picks that don't fall into the mainstream quite so much.

It depends who the article is aimed at. For casuals it's a fairly good spread although MHA and AoT would be known by the vast majority of people who watch anime whatever your level.

But for those of us who are regulars here and watch lots of stuff I wouldn't say much of it was off the radar. Looking at MAL only 2 have less than 100,000 members with the shows on their list (Bed and Breakfast for Spirits and Comic Girls). Bungo film fills a gap between seasons 2 & 3 so will be lower in these terms, I haven't seen any of it so wouldn't watch the film.

Here's 3 I enjoyed that have less than 100,000 members on MAL:
Hakumei and Mikochi c.32,000
Uma Masume: Pretty Derby c.51,000
Harukana Receive c.51,000

Hisone and Masotan
Only has c.37,000. So would have been a good shout.

It depends who the article is aimed at. For casuals it's a fairly good spread although MHA and AoT would be known by the vast majority of people who watch anime whatever your level.

But for those of us who are regulars here and watch lots of stuff I wouldn't say much of it was off the radar. Looking at MAL only 2 have less than 100,000 members with the shows on their list (Bed and Breakfast for Spirits and Comic Girls). Bungo film fills a gap between seasons 2 & 3 so will be lower in these terms, I haven't seen any of it so wouldn't watch the film.

Here's 3 I enjoyed that have less than 100,000 members on MAL:
Hakumei and Mikochi c.32,000
Uma Masume: Pretty Derby c.51,000
Harukana Receive c.51,000

Only has c.37,000. So would have been a good shout.
Uma Musume was an unexpected great imo. Harukana Receive was good fun too, some fine taste there!

Not one mention of A Place Further Than the Universe, Yuru Camp, After the Rain, Bunny-Girl Senpai or Golden Kamuy (especially season 2).
Frankly you should all be sacked! 😜
Good to see mention for WotaKoi, Cells at Work and ZLS though.
Too many mentions for Violet Evergarden though.
I'm loving Bunny Girl Senpai right now, but waiting on seeing how it ends before I make a final judgement. I actually almost included After the Rain, but I think I already took up too much space as it is :p.

"Year of Netflix" yet no Hisotan & Masotan mentions which i found better than VE than Maquia.
Confession: I'm only about 1/4 of the way through Hisone & Masotan. I find it charming, but I need to be in a certain mood to watch it, y'know?

Thinking about this year most the shows I was looking forward to disappointed me P5A, AoT s3, VE, S;G0. First half of the year was disappointing for me. At least Free, Banana Fish, Tsurune and Liz and the blue bird helped make this second half way better

Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori was great but no one seemed to watch it for some reason. (Only 15k Mal members)

Very comfy show. Id recommend it.

I absolutely agree! I wrote about it in our 'Looking back at the Spring Season 2018' and I'm very glad to see more love for it here! (Now if we could persuade Seven Seas to publish the manga as well... I've tried, and will keep on trying.)

I absolutely agree! I wrote about it in our 'Looking back at the Spring Season 2018' and I'm very glad to see more love for it here! (Now if we could persuade Seven Seas to publish the manga as well... I've tried, and will keep on trying.)
I would love to read the manga or a second season. I wanna know why the brothers fell out.

Not one mention of A Place Further Than the Universe, Yuru Camp, After the Rain, Bunny-Girl Senpai or Golden Kamuy (especially season 2).
Frankly you should all be sacked! 😜
Good to see mention for WotaKoi, Cells at Work and ZLS though.
Too many mentions for Violet Evergarden though.

All these series have had coverage here (and love!) from our writers in our Season Previews and Overviews for 2018 (with the possible exception of Golden Kamuy which may well turn up in our Winter Season Overview when it's finished its run).

Having been editing our reviews for a few years now, what strikes me is the vast choice of new titles we've been offered in the last year or so (especially when Netflix and Amazon joined the fray) compared with the relatively recent past. It's really difficult to choose just two or three!

"Year of Netflix" yet no Hisotan & Masotan mentions which i found better than VE than Maquia. and No Tsurune mentions well it has confirmed my feelings VE is gonna run away even though about 4 eps were crap. 12,13 were especially not good and episode 13 I can write an essay on how **** it is

Tsurune is a 'problem' series but only because it started so late - Run Like the Wind as well (because it's got a 2-week ? gap at the moment). I'm really enjoying both series and plan to discuss them in the Autumn 2018 Overview. (I'm glad to see you mention it here though!)

People also say its the reason the granblue anime sold I dunno how true it is. All Gatcha games i avoid with a passion which is why never touch FGO and hate that FGO is what become of TYPE MOON

Back