Anime UK News Review of 2018 Part 1: Anime

Sarah

Staff
AUKN Staff
Has 2018 been a good, bad or indifferent year for UK anime fans? Find out what impressed the writers Anime UK News - and let us know what your favourites are too!

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Not one mention of A Place Further Than the Universe, Yuru Camp, After the Rain, Bunny-Girl Senpai or Golden Kamuy (especially season 2).
Frankly you should all be sacked! 😜
Good to see mention for WotaKoi, Cells at Work and ZLS though.
Too many mentions for Violet Evergarden though.

Not one mention of A Place Further Than the Universe, Yuru Camp, After the Rain, Bunny-Girl Senpai or Golden Kamuy (especially season 2).
Good to see mention for WotaKoi, Cells at Work and ZLS though.
Too many mentions for Violet Evergarden though.

ditto.

The best stuff wasn't mentioned smh.

(Violet Evergarden is so overrated, looks really nice at least..)

"Year of Netflix" yet no Hisotan & Masotan mentions which i found better than VE than Maquia. and No Tsurune mentions well it has confirmed my feelings VE is gonna run away even though about 4 eps were crap. 12,13 were especially not good and episode 13 I can write an essay on how **** it is

Last edited:
Not read it yet but I thought it was going to be a good year, more fate, devilman crybaby possessed just about everyone's hearts I thought it would start a trend of more mature anime like the early 90's but that still didn't happen this year, then it dragged after the summer. I'd say it has a good start with a poor end

If it helps I really enjoyed A Place Further and Bunny-girl senpai, but I feel like they were both given ample attention in our seasonal articles. Whereas for this I decided to go with things that might have been forgotten about or fallen under the radar. :)

Also a lot of series that are airing this season I ignored because they're not finished (and at the time of writing this article were not very far into their run), this is especially true of Slime which is going to be two cours.

"Year of Netflix" yet no Hisotan & Masotan mentions which i found better than VE than Maquia. and No Tsurune mentions well it has confirmed my feelings VE is gonna run away even though about 4 eps were crap. 12,13 were especially not good and episode 13 I can write an essay on how **** it is

Ironically if not for how Netflix release anime I'd probably have mentioned Hisone and Masotan, but due to them dropping the whole thing at once I haven't even finished it. I'm getting close, but still several episodes off...

I did pirate it admittedly but its a show that works I feel better weekly especially with some of the endings its gave you time to mull the over. I would love Kakeguri S2 to be simulcast it wont but I would love it. I would like to know if really was Japans insistence why VE got simulcast

I haven't seen much I really enjoyed this year. Attack on Titan's latest season was pretty weak & the only memorable anime I watched was Saga of Tanya the Evil but I don't know if that came out this year? Castlevania got off to a reasonably good start but was too frigging short.

I can't wait for Neo Mag's awards, they represent the pinnacle of fandom for me. I'm especially eager to see who the distributor of the year is, I am really hoping for Manga UK to win it /sarcasm

The things mentioned in the article are very mainstream, I don’t understand the under the radar argument honestly.

:confused:

Personally I'd say the Bungo movie falls into under the radar as well as Girlish Number in the home video section, but that's because I haven't seen a great deal of discussion on either side.

Also re: Violet Evergarden I did wonder if the fact it aired all the way back in January might mean it was forgotten about by now, but all these comments clearly show otherwise! Can't help it still being my favourite anime this year though. ;)

I think there is a lot of talk around the mainstream series because those are what we universally enjoyed the most, but I feel like quite a few of the writers have chosen some unique picks that don't fall into the mainstream quite so much.

As I watched S2 of Bungo before I watched the film I found the film a bit disappointing yeah its a film but it felt "filler" and was bit crap at least we will have a S3 soon.

I’m just sad that Hozuki 2 got overlooked, I would have talked about that if given the chance. Happy to see WotaKoi on there in some capacity since I quite enjoyed a more adult-driven anime series with a fairly realistic set of romances.

How to Keep a Mummy I feel has also been somewhat forgotten, which is a shame since it was a really nice SoL.

Thinking about what's not been mentioned makes me think this has been a very good year, nothing truly outstanding imo, but many many 8/10's. And still plenty I missed to check out in the future. ☺

Back