Anime Limited wants to hear your opinions on deluxe packaging

Re: Anime Limited wants to hear your opinions on deluxe pack

ClearlyConfused said:
From seeing a recent unboxing of it, I recall the title being on the spine - in fact I'm sure it's like a normal Anime Ltd spine
Ace, thanks for that! I look forward to it turning up on Monday.

Rui said:
Technically top loading means more space for artwork :D

I don't have any strong feelings about top vs side loading; NISA releases are often top-loaded (with larger boxes) and it doesn't affect their attractiveness.

With regards to the o-card, I was under the impression that it was intended to be optional and like a spiritual brother to the flimsy obi which accompany many Japanese releases. I usually fold those up and tuck them inside the boxes because I can't stand them flapping around and don't like having my collection in protective sleeves, but with TTGL I'm just leaving the box inside the o-card for now as it's sturdier and doesn't get in the way. One day, I'll throw it away and just use the artbox.

I also want to say that I actually don't want LEs to come with soundtracks except where it's a pack-in soundtrack in Japan, too; the reason being that if it's any good I've probably already imported the standalone soundtrack by the time the physical release happens and it then feels wasteful ^^;

If it's a special CD which you can't easily obtain on its own then it makes a lot more sense as a bonus item.

R
In regards to the o-card, I think a lot of people feel that way. It isn't uncommon for people to throw away their slipcases, where to me that's blasphemy! :p I guess I just like treating everything as part of the package. I even keep the obi's in perfect condition from Japanese releases whether it's a CD, DVD/Blu-ray or even a LaserDisc! I actually go out of my way to make sure I get my slipcase with my releases and that can sway me towards one retailer or another, if say a release only got one during 1st print.

With soundtracks, I feel the same way. I usually buy mine, and when you get one with a game or whatever for example it's usually just a mini compilation so I agree. However, I still think it's a more viable extra than say art-cards/postcards when compiling assets for a 'collectors edition'. Getting the OST and a little light up core drill with the Beez Lagann DVD set was imo a really cool thing that made the set a bit more viable. Sure some may think of it as useless tat and I by no means want a bunch of silly trinkets like you get with the countless Ubisoft games, I still think if you release a Limited/Collectors edition that you should give something that is again, collectable. Cels/film reel cuts from the show, a douga etc are cool things that I think fans from said shows would appreciate and would pay extra for. They don't take much space up either. That's the kind of stuff I'd like to see more of, in any case. Of course getting your hands on said things can be hard.

I have mixed feelings about slipcases and Obi-strips. In one sense, they're nice, and add to the 'collectible' feel, but equally, from a practical sense, they're one more thing you have to take off every time you want to get to the discs when you're actually watching the show - but maybe that's just me.

I think, for me, all these Ultimate Edition sets have to still be within reason. For example, I think the KLK set looks absolutely stunning, is packaged fantastically and the book of art is brilliant too. I wouldn't like to see us go toward the US/Japan style of mega-releases though where you're plumping down £80-£100 quid on every release just for some extra goodies that you'll probably never look at more than once.

Regarding OBIs and O-cards, like I said before - make sure it can be put inside the packaging after you've unwrapped it. Most of the time this is impossible, with OBIs I assume it's impossible without folding it. I regard O-cards as simply a way of getting the BBFC rating on the cover for the shops, and then you can remove it and get the clean cover you want.

I mean, I don't intend to make a big issue about things like the o-card! I guess I just really like things like slip cases/Obi's etc when they come with an item and I like to make sure that they are in perfect condition and I get annoyed when they inevitably get bend up. If an item never came with one in the first place, I'm fine! But like with the Kaze release of Code Geass, I had to make sure they both came with the slips as they were out of print at the time.

I guess in this particular instance I prefer the art on the Lagann card rather than the actual (grey) box and I'm not a fan of the paper used on the box :) I actually would rather have the logo's etc on the actual box than on a removable card as long as the art is good. The way it was done with Kill la Kill was perfectly fine. Nice box with a red obi. I'll keep the obi, and it doesn't hinder the packaging or inconvenience me. In this case, if the Lagann box had the same art on the front, spine and back as the o-card I'd have been more happy. It's just too plain without it, but too much of an inconvenience with it on! It's a tiny thing, but I think overall the packaging with Anime Limited stuff can be fine, if not great so it often comes down the little stuff. I think KLK and PB were done well and lagann was the one I'm most disappointed with.

Disappointed with the lagann set? Anime fans are a peculiar bunch lol. I had two non anime fans round the day it turned up. They're massive dvd/bd collectors with around 4000 titles and some exquisite editions and even they were jealous of how nice the ttgl set was.

britguy said:
Disappointed with the lagann set? Anime fans are a peculiar bunch lol. I had two non anime fans round the day it turned up. They're massive dvd/bd collectors with around 4000 titles and some exquisite editions and even they were jealous of how nice the ttgl set was.

I just really don't like it. It pains me to say it too, I was super hyped about it! Posting updates as soon as they went live on the Blu-ray forum, made a thread for it on massive forums and everything. Pre-ordered it day one. I just picked it up a few mins ago and I felt dread as I did so. Soo big and unwieldy and fragile. Anything that brushes against it scratches it so I have to pick it up like I'm playing those crane games lmao. It's too tall so I have it laying on its back and the digipack is still rattling around inside of that thing. Every time I open it up it's in a different spot :( I'm glad you like it tho, nothing wrong with that. Just not my cup of tea. Feels amateurish.

qaiz said:
britguy said:

I just really don't like it. It pains me to say it too, I was super hyped about it! Posting updates as soon as they went live on the Blu-ray forum, made a thread for it on massive forums and everything. Pre-ordered it day one. I just picked it up a few mins ago and I felt dread as I did so. Soo big and unwieldy and fragile. Anything that brushes against it scratches it so I have to pick it up like I'm playing those crane games lmao. It's too tall so I have it laying on its back and the digipack is still rattling around inside of that thing. Every time I open it up it's in a different spot :( I'm glad you like it tho, nothing wrong with that. Just not my cup of tea. Feels amateurish.
I agree to point. Having received my copy of Patema Inverted today that seems like a better size while GL does seem too big. Saying that I dont regret getting either.

mangaman74 said:
I agree to point. Having received my copy of Patema Inverted today that seems like a better size while GL does seem too big. Saying that I dont regret getting either.

Yeah with all my negativity I'm still glad I got it, and supported the set and such otherwise I would have sold it or got a refund. Not a massive fan of the show however *dodges tomatoes*

I do agree with Patema being the perfect size and I love the packaging overall. The book looks and feels really nice and I do prefer it to the Lagann book and the box looks and feels classy with the gloss. The fit and finish is super nice. I will say that I still don't like digipaks with massive boarders around the trays but it's a little thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

The only major issue I have is, the digipak for the ultimate editions doesn't seem thick enough. The card needs to be slightly thicker in my opinion.

Both Patema Inverted and Gurren Lagann are both beautiful releases in their Ultimate forms, but the centralized disc holders is something I'm not a fan of. Patema's size is more appropriate; near to the collectors editions. The only thing to make them even greater would be if there was some way to have a stand of some sort for the digipak to sit on in the box so it aligns with the larger artbook and there wouldn't be a need for the digipak to be larger than the disc tray holders.

(I have done 33 hours at work over the last 39 hours so may not be making a whole lot of sense)

Yeah I agree. I think one of the issues with bigger boxes is having to make bigger digpaks and when the tray is in the center and it's surrounded by card that isn't too sturdy, it's a bit of an issue and creates weak-spots around the tray that can flex and causes the tray to come loose etc. I don't mind digipaks, and can often actually like them when they are normal sized and the tray covers the whole surface and the card itself is thick and sturdy. Bebop was perfect size wise but the digipak again feels really thin. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Space Dandy arrived today, and it looks and feels pretty good. If I had to level one minor criticism against it, it's that the artwork on the outer box doesn't totally cover the spine, it's a couple of millimeters out, so you can see the folds where it's wrapped around the box. (I still feel that the quality of the Kill la Kill box has it beat by a country mile though!). I also REALLY appreciate reversible covers, even if it's just the colour for Dandy.

With all the talk of digipaks too, my copy of Studio Canal's Miyazaki box set turned up today. Each film is in practically a hardback book cover that houses the tray (so there's only space for one tray, rather than two if they were to have used a "normal" thickness of card). I feel like I could throw them across the room and they'd be ok, not that anyone would ever do that... Obviously this probably isn't feasible for a lot of releases though.

One thing that did make me giggle, was that the glue hadn't set on a couple of them, reminded me of the Gurren Lagann box set. It's not so much of an issue here though, as the digipak is only as large as the disc tray.

(Happy to take pictures to illustrate any points on request!)

qaiz said:
Yeah I agree. I think one of the issues with bigger boxes is having to make bigger digpaks and when the tray is in the center and it's surrounded by card that isn't too sturdy, it's a bit of an issue and creates weak-spots around the tray that can flex and causes the tray to come loose etc. I don't mind digipaks, and can often actually like them when they are normal sized and the tray covers the whole surface and the card itself is thick and sturdy. Bebop was perfect size wise but the digipak again feels really thin. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I think if they're normal size (like Kill la Kill) they are perfect, it's when they become longer or taller/wider it needs a thicker card.

Being biased, but Kill la Kill's clean, simple strong looking set is ideal for me.

Elaniel said:
I think if they're normal size (like Kill la Kill) they are perfect, it's when they become longer or taller/wider it needs a thicker card.

Being biased, but Kill la Kill's clean, simple strong looking set is ideal for me.

The KLK set does look nice, I ended up canceling my pre-order however but I did like what I had seen of the set overall. I hope to pick it up one day :)

Back