Anime Limited wants to hear your opinions on deluxe packaging

anime_andrew

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
Thought folks may be interested to hear a few gossip points:

PACKAGING FOR ULTIMATES:

I'm meeting the head of purchasing for our replicators to discuss what we use to store the Ultimate Edition discs in. For the first few we did (up to Giovanni) we've used larger digipacks. My issue so far there is they've been okay (barring Gurren) but I'm not super happy with the quality as a part of the overall.

I'll keep folks updated on progress but here's what I am considering:

- Rigid board instead of Digipack, with CD_style single tray cases glued on (Gurren's Japanese release did something akin to this).
- Digifiles (I'm strongly against the idea but will entertain the option if they present something cool).
- Another way of storing all the goods that isn't a rigid case (huge fan of Destiny and the Collector's Edition they did, maybe that is an option for Ultimates in some cases).

Any ideas welcomed - but I've a bunch of things and we're looking into them going forwards.

BACCANO!:

Debating a steelbook just now or similar for this as assets are a bit thin and putting it out for SRP of £44.99 / 49.99 with some art cards if available (depends on assets etc). Would that be of interest to folks given it's 16 eps over 2 BD-50s?

Best,

AP
NB - Looking at does not equal assured right now!
 

YukiFan

School Idol
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

anime_andrew said:
Thought folks may be interested to hear a few gossip points:

PACKAGING FOR ULTIMATES:

I'm meeting the head of purchasing for our replicators to discuss what we use to store the Ultimate Edition discs in. For the first few we did (up to Giovanni) we've used larger digipacks. My issue so far there is they've been okay (barring Gurren) but I'm not super happy with the quality as a part of the overall.

I'll keep folks updated on progress but here's what I am considering:

- Rigid board instead of Digipack, with CD_style single tray cases glued on (Gurren's Japanese release did something akin to this).
- Digifiles (I'm strongly against the idea but will entertain the option if they present something cool).
- Another way of storing all the goods that isn't a rigid case (huge fan of Destiny and the Collector's Edition they did, maybe that is an option for Ultimates in some cases).

Any ideas welcomed - but I've a bunch of things and we're looking into them going forwards.

BACCANO!:

Debating a steelbook just now or similar for this as assets are a bit thin and putting it out for SRP of £44.99 / 49.99 with some art cards if available (depends on assets etc). Would that be of interest to folks given it's 16 eps over 2 BD-50s?

Best,

AP
NB - Looking at does not equal assured right now!
To answer it all in order, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the first option but it sounds interesting. I'm personally also against digifiles (from personal experience they don't tend to last long). After looking up the Destiny Collectors edition I have to say that case style is pretty awesome. About the Baccano! steelbook I quite like the idea, there aren't many extras for the series so it'd add some value to the release (As long as it has nice artwork).
 

Mangaranga

Za Warudo
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

anime_andrew said:
BACCANO!:

Debating a steelbook just now or similar for this as assets are a bit thin and putting it out for SRP of £44.99 / 49.99 with some art cards if available (depends on assets etc). Would that be of interest to folks given it's 16 eps over 2 BD-50s?
Baccano probably isn't something I'm likely to double dip on considering I've had Aniplex's release for yonks, but I can say that I'm really really not a fan of steelbooks.
When you say that assets are a bit thin, are you limited to what Aniplex used for their standard edition BD or something?
 

Emo185

Student Council President
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

anime_andrew said:
Thought folks may be interested to hear a few gossip points:

PACKAGING FOR ULTIMATES:

I'm meeting the head of purchasing for our replicators to discuss what we use to store the Ultimate Edition discs in. For the first few we did (up to Giovanni) we've used larger digipacks. My issue so far there is they've been okay (barring Gurren) but I'm not super happy with the quality as a part of the overall.

I'll keep folks updated on progress but here's what I am considering:

- Rigid board instead of Digipack, with CD_style single tray cases glued on (Gurren's Japanese release did something akin to this).
- Digifiles (I'm strongly against the idea but will entertain the option if they present something cool).
- Another way of storing all the goods that isn't a rigid case (huge fan of Destiny and the Collector's Edition they did, maybe that is an option for Ultimates in some cases).

Any ideas welcomed - but I've a bunch of things and we're looking into them going forwards.

BACCANO!:

Debating a steelbook just now or similar for this as assets are a bit thin and putting it out for SRP of £44.99 / 49.99 with some art cards if available (depends on assets etc). Would that be of interest to folks given it's 16 eps over 2 BD-50s?

Best,

AP
NB - Looking at does not equal assured right now!

I've seen the Destiny Limited Edition packaging and its pretty cool but either option 1 or 3 sounds perfect to me (i somehow can't imagine Andrew playing games xD).

In terms of Buccano Steelbook i'm not sure; i love steelbooks (and the artwork they can sometimes have) but they easily get scratched and the sleeve around them gets torn - i'd rather just have a standard amary case with a carded sleeve around it (like Manga's 1st print of Madoka and Eden of the East). Also artcards / postcard just feel like a waste (but i guess its the thought that counts) xD
 

cyborg 002

School Idol
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Personally I prefer the blue standard Bluray cases. didpacks are so fragile and steelbooks are overrated.
 

anime_andrew

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

black1blade said:
When in the year will baccano be coming out?

If we do a steelbook then May is likely just due to turnaround times etc. I'd like it for Q2 anyway :).

AP
 

anime_andrew

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Mangaranga said:
anime_andrew said:
BACCANO!:

Debating a steelbook just now or similar for this as assets are a bit thin and putting it out for SRP of £44.99 / 49.99 with some art cards if available (depends on assets etc). Would that be of interest to folks given it's 16 eps over 2 BD-50s?
Baccano probably isn't something I'm likely to double dip on considering I've had Aniplex's release for yonks, but I can say that I'm really really not a fan of steelbooks.
When you say that assets are a bit thin, are you limited to what Aniplex used for their standard edition BD or something?

Yeah - Steelbook is a bit of a love / hate thing. I think they're pretty cool myself but it does take a lot of pondering to sort out something else as we're basically blocked on most artworks to make a book and while I am sure we could have a 96 page book made up, I think it'd be a stretch to get it approved by Japan so I figure something nice packaging-wise would be cool.

So in terms of assets, probably what Aniplex / Funimation have had is all. Investigating what France did as well for now as they mention a booklet for example :).

AP
 

anime_andrew

Anime Limited Representative
Industry Representative
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Emo185 said:
I've seen the Destiny Limited Edition packaging and its pretty cool but either option 1 or 3 sounds perfect to me (i somehow can't imagine Andrew playing games xD).

In terms of Buccano Steelbook i'm not sure; i love steelbooks (and the artwork they can sometimes have) but they easily get scratched and the sleeve around them gets torn - i'd rather just have a standard amary case with a carded sleeve around it (like Manga's 1st print of Madoka and Eden of the East). Also artcards / postcard just feel like a waste (but i guess its the thought that counts) xD

Big fan of games here, mostly playing through The Evil Within just now as am trying to break up levelling in Destiny ;)! What little spare time I do have I tend to play games anyway!

For steel book - good point! I'd pondered an O-Card as well to help protect it but that sort of defeats the point of the steelbook I'd guess...

Definitely pondering what we can do anyway - I'd rather a rigid case + case inside it but we'll see what materials are available when we get ahold of the assets :).

AP
 

Buzzkillington

Za Warudo
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

anime_andrew said:
Thought folks may be interested to hear a few gossip points:

PACKAGING FOR ULTIMATES:

I'm meeting the head of purchasing for our replicators to discuss what we use to store the Ultimate Edition discs in. For the first few we did (up to Giovanni) we've used larger digipacks. My issue so far there is they've been okay (barring Gurren) but I'm not super happy with the quality as a part of the overall.

I'll keep folks updated on progress but here's what I am considering:

- Rigid board instead of Digipack, with CD_style single tray cases glued on (Gurren's Japanese release did something akin to this).
- Digifiles (I'm strongly against the idea but will entertain the option if they present something cool).
- Another way of storing all the goods that isn't a rigid case (huge fan of Destiny and the Collector's Edition they did, maybe that is an option for Ultimates in some cases).

Any ideas welcomed - but I've a bunch of things and we're looking into them going forwards.

BACCANO!:

Debating a steelbook just now or similar for this as assets are a bit thin and putting it out for SRP of £44.99 / 49.99 with some art cards if available (depends on assets etc). Would that be of interest to folks given it's 16 eps over 2 BD-50s?

Best,

AP
NB - Looking at does not equal assured right now!
Well personally I'm not really a fan of digifiles so that's a pass from me. When you say Destiny collectors edition, do you mean the one that came with the cool little box which is actually the limited edition or the actual collectors edition that came in the case with the replica ghost and such guff? I really like how the Limited Edition did it.

As for Baccano, it's a real shame that there isn't a lot you can do with it, I like steelbooks when I see pictures, but they never really look as good in person (looking at you Ghibli steelbooks), and art cards are worthless to me, I dunno why people like them tbh. Honestly I'm not sure Baccano is something I will be double dipping on now that a decent collectors edition isn't likely.
 

GolGotha

Death Scythe
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

anime_andrew said:
I think they're pretty cool myself but it does take a lot of pondering to sort out something else as we're basically blocked on most artworks to make a book and while I am sure we could have a 96 page book made up, I think it'd be a stretch to get it approved by Japan so I figure something nice packaging-wise would be cool.

So in terms of assets, probably what Aniplex / Funimation have had is all. Investigating what France did as well for now as they mention a booklet for example :).

AP

I'm not a fan of steel books, but would love a artbook, if it is at all possible.

On a side note, did Japan do a limited edition set for Baccano at all?
 

Emulsion

Pokémon Master
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

anime_andrew said:
For steel book - good point! I'd pondered an O-Card as well to help protect it but that sort of defeats the point of the steelbook I'd guess...

What you do is, once you remove the steelbook from the factory seal you put it in a clear plastic sleeve to protect it from getting scratched. I have all my steelbooks in sleeves.

On the packaging. What about going with the hard card artbox with standard Blu-ray cases in side. Same way Funi do their limited edition.
 

NormanicGrav

ヽ(⌐■_■)ノ♪♬
AUKN Staff
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

GolGotha said:
anime_andrew said:
I think they're pretty cool myself but it does take a lot of pondering to sort out something else as we're basically blocked on most artworks to make a book and while I am sure we could have a 96 page book made up, I think it'd be a stretch to get it approved by Japan so I figure something nice packaging-wise would be cool.

So in terms of assets, probably what Aniplex / Funimation have had is all. Investigating what France did as well for now as they mention a booklet for example :).

AP

I'm not a fan of steel books, but would love a artbook, if it is at all possible.

On a side note, did Japan do a limited edition set for Baccano at all?

Just checked what the Japanese Blu-ray Disc Box had to offer, only the Textless Opening and Endings.

Both the Japanese & US Blu-ray sets used this for their cover art, using that for your Steelbook or Collector's Edition Rigid case would look nice Andrew.

Baccano_1.jpg
Baccano_2.jpg
 

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
Re: Anime Limited wants to hear your opinions on deluxe pack

I personally don't care for steelbooks (I've steadfastly avoided buying a single one since my first). I just don't like how they look.

However, I already own two copies of Baccano! and I'm unlikely to buy it again, so perhaps my opinion isn't all that important in this particular case ^^;

In general, when it comes to UEs I like them to feel sturdy and standard plastic cases or thinpaks in a chipboard box with all of the other goodies suit me just fine (no eco cases, however). I'm pretty relaxed so long as they're durable but decent BD cases are replaceable in the case of a disaster and give nice, easy access to the discs without any fiddling with complicated hub designs. Something like the JP Mononoke box is just perfect for me; stunning printing, artwork everywhere and simple BD cases to hold the discs. By the way, you guys should license Mononoke for BD here >_>

R
 

BanzaiJedi

Pokémon Master
Re: Anime Limited wants to hear your opinions on deluxe pack

For some reason I only ever like steelbooks with live-action films, for anime I prefer digipacks in a sturdy card sleeve (Durarara, Bebop) or Amaray with a slipcase (Psycho-Pass, Madoka). I would prefer Amaray with sleeve this time because I'll still be catching up with this years releases at that point, and a regular edition would ease the strain on my bank balance. If there are very few extras available then this goes double.
 

Mangaranga

Za Warudo
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Assuming you can use the art assets, I personally think a replica of Aniplex's LE with a wrap around like Kill La Kill would be good. The whole set just looks great.

cover_baccano_us.jpg


NormanicGrav said:
GolGotha said:
On a side note, did Japan do a limited edition set for Baccano at all?

Just checked what the Japanese Blu-ray Disc Box had to offer, only the Textless Opening and Endings.
The Japanese and US releases use the exact same discs FYI. It was in Aniplex's phase of "Let's just reprint the Japanese discs" which is great quality wise, but they lack a signs/songs track.
I'm pretty sure Andrew said this release would have one though.
 

YukiFan

School Idol
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Mangaranga said:
Assuming you can use the art assets, I personally think a replica of Aniplex's LE with a wrap around like Kill La Kill would be good. The whole set just looks great.

cover_baccano_us.jpg
Wow, Aniplex's release was really nice. If Anime Limited can make there release a replica of this one that'd be brilliant (I love the art they used for both the box and the cases).
 

Buzzkillington

Za Warudo
Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Mangaranga said:
Assuming you can use the art assets, I personally think a replica of Aniplex's LE with a wrap around like Kill La Kill would be good. The whole set just looks great.

cover_baccano_us.jpg

I'd second this, infact I'd take this over the whole digipack thing you guys do tbh, far nicer a product to me. But yeah, if you do something like this I could see me double dipping after all.
 

GolGotha

Death Scythe
Re: Anime Limited wants to hear your opinions on deluxe pack

That does look nice, I'd be happy with something like that.

The reason I asked was because I curious if the limited edition included something extra, for example the LE of Durarara had bonus CDs, character profile cards and a color booklet. So, if that was also the case with Baccano! We could of used the booklet contents and put them together to make a single book...but I couldn't find anything in my quick search on CDJapan ^^'
 
Top