Anime Limited wants to hear your opinions on deluxe packaging

Re: Anime Limited wants to hear your opinions on deluxe pack

Re baccano, copying another release exactly and changing your release to amaray cases is not something I'd at all like, which seems to be a popular thing here for some reason! Id much rather see it adapted as your digipack/artbox (which could easily just take the amaray case covers as the digipack art and the slipcase art as the artbox art) to fit in with all your other releases.

With regards to the ultimate editions Id choose either option 1 or 3.

I'm actually a big fan of the rigid board releases - ie. I really liked what you did with Perfect Blue / Tiger & Bunny. It just feels nice and concise, but obviously that works better for films.

I think my main priority is having something that feels solid, durable and that will fit easily on my shelf. I really liked the GL release - but in the grand scheme of things, my gut feeling says it feels way too big - I'd almost have rather had the standard blu-ray case, and then got the art book separately. I'm not too keen on things that feel flimsy, or that need to be unfolded loads to get to the discs.

What MVM did for their release of Fate Zero was quite nice, where it was essentially just two standard Blu-Ray cases, but housed in a rigid board box.

It may be a little boring but I'm a big fan of Aniplex's/Funimation sets

Rigid Art box, 2-3 keep cases with reversible/double sided artwork and there's space to add an artbook etc if you make the box bigger.

I don't trust digi packs, I don't like to see overlapping discs and the GL release confirmed my worry that the plastic could come separated (though this is a rare occurrence I suppose)

I am not a fan of digi files, I always worry about marking of discs and awkwardness of removing them.

Steelbooks are always great to me, but I usually prefer them for movies.
A few game editions I have consist of a steelbook and art book that slides into a sturdy box from the side. Those look quite nice.

I do really like the Gurren Lagann release. The only two issues I had was the plastic disc hubs weren't the same size as the digipak card and the card itself was too thin. If it was more sturdy, I'd be happy for future releases to be like that. So the rigid board sounds good to me. I imagine they will be thick like the US Walking Dead Blu-Ray digipak sets?

I also wouldn't be opposed to a few standard Blu-Ray cases. Perhaps different coloured cases for particular releases (IE: Pink for K-On). Then have those and an art book and whatever extras in a sturdy box. Something like the original Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray set.

For Baccano, what about the 2-panel chipboard digipacks that Beez used for Durarara, Tatami Galaxy, House of Five Leaves? Those things are sexy.

I'm surprised that so many people dislike Steelbooks. I think they look and feel (dat weightiness) classy, and they shouldn't get scratched if you don't, I dunno, run a key down them or something.

I ordered the platinum tin version of Evangelion and it arrived with no many dents that it's just put me off them. Maybe I'll reconsider once my postal service decides to stop playing football with my parcels...

My favourite packaging is the really unique stuff like Pioneer/Geneon did for R.O.D the TV (book-style) and Stellvia (thinpack tin) and the sturdy boxes FUNimation did for shows like Negima (magnetic lid with a solid thunk) and Trinity Blood (hinged flaps).

Much of my Japanese stuff is pretty standard fare for the disc housing (standard cases in slipcovers and digipack variations).
OTOH, while Clannad used standard superjewels, the pearlescent paper on the inlay made them something special (although that sort of thing obviously works best with the singles release format).
I think there were only two cases where the packaging helped sway me into actually buying something: Kara no Kyoukai and lol Kodomo no Jikan (I only got the one volume but I couldn't say no to a replica randoseru). While KnK is just a digipack, it was digipack done in style (it started getting boring after 6 volumes, but that wouldn't be an issue for a collection or single movie).

I like the rigid art boxes the best. The kind you used for Durarara!!! and Kill la Kill, and MVM used for Fate Zero.

My favorite deluxe packaging would be of the rigid artbox kind too, whether they contain digipacks and artbooks, or just plain Amarays. I really like the ADV US and Geneon artboxes that I got with Gankutsuou, Utawareremono, Pani Poni Dash. I love my Steamboy deluxe collection, and NISA's Hanasaku Iroha artboxes are big but sweet. Beez and Bandai had some good collections in the day, Fantastic Children had awful disc authoring, but a lovely box, I still cherish my mega-cheap Patlabor movie deluxes, IGPX, Wings of Honneamise US Blu-ray, Haruhi Suzumiya US, Moribito had a nice Super-jewel case collection from Media Blasters, the thin card case was flimsy, but the super-jewels are sturdy.

I'm not too fond of the over cooked digipacks. Two discs on two holders are fine, but more than that feels flimsy. With my ST TNG and X Files Collector's sets, where I watch one episode a night, I usually take a disc out, and put it in a CD case until I'm done watching it, rather than keep folding and unfolding that digipack collection too often. And discs shouldn't overlap in cases, my Excel Saga brick from ADV is a pain to access. Tins are a waste of time. I have a Revelation School Rumble tin that I never filled, Tenchi Muyo in a tin, 009-1 in a tin, and I feel I should be keeping my packed lunch in there. And I hate steelbooks with a vengeance.

I guess my fave deluxe packaging is the rigid artbox, preferably with Amarays, or small digipacks as in Kill la Kill and Cowboy Bebop

Something like the dark knight trilogy collectors edition world be great especially for bluray. Sturdy board with slots to put the discs in and can make some nice artwork for it.

That would be easily better than any other option I have seen

fabricatedlunatic said:
For Baccano, what about the 2-panel chipboard digipacks that Beez used for Durarara, Tatami Galaxy, House of Five Leaves? Those things are sexy.

I'm surprised that so many people dislike Steelbooks. I think they look and feel (dat weightiness) classy, and they shouldn't get scratched if you don't, I dunno, run a key down them or something.

So long as they're in an outer box so the issue with the spines being on the wrong side (e.g. Durarara!!) is mitigated and you can keep all of the extra pieces with them without them falling out, I like the chipboard digipacks. Attaching the booklet to the case wasn't a great idea for FUNi's Attack on Titan sets but once those sturdy digipacks were slotted into their box they looked and felt pretty nice.

I just find steelbooks ugly, especially the spines ;_;

The metal tins used for some releases like Tenchi Muyou OAV s3 and (again) Durarara!! in the US are sort of annoying too. They're reasonably cool but I don't have that many ways to present them on my overstuffed shelves any more, so I prefer packs which look good from all angles. The kind of chipboard box which you can open up and fill with treasures (like Fantastic Children and many mainstream box sets) with no open sides is kinda fun.

If you ever do a set with lots of discs I really liked the way this 17-disc Japanese set arranged them in two separate digipacks covered with art housed in a chipboard box. None of the discs overlap, there are effectively 17 art cards built into the digipack itself and it's surprisingly compact when folded up.

R

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Mangaranga said:
Assuming you can use the art assets, I personally think a replica of Aniplex's LE with a wrap around like Kill La Kill would be good. The whole set just looks great.

cover_baccano_us.jpg

NormanicGrav said:
GolGotha said:
On a side note, did Japan do a limited edition set for Baccano at all?

Just checked what the Japanese Blu-ray Disc Box had to offer, only the Textless Opening and Endings.
The Japanese and US releases use the exact same discs FYI. It was in Aniplex's phase of "Let's just reprint the Japanese discs" which is great quality wise, but they lack a signs/songs track.
I'm pretty sure Andrew said this release would have one though.

I'd expect these Amarays to be clear rather than blue, like the Garden of words release- it would look really clean that way

Digifiles, hell no.
A sturdy box is great.
Simple flimsy box like Attack of Titan CE, no thanks.
Digipacks are all right, just make sure the disc holders are quality!
Different coloured amaray cases are cool.
Reversible cover art to get rid of barcodes, ratings boxes and such ugly stuff is great.
Steelbox, sure. Just make sure whatever card you put on the outside can be moved inside the box when it's been unwrapped.

Re: The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)

Admittedly, I've yet to purchase any of your Ultimate Editions Andrew (money mainly) and my only experience with them has been seeing the Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition in Forbidden Planet (and obviously, I wasn't allowed to poke around inside). To be honest, my initial impression was that it was too big. If I bought it, I wouldn't know where I'd store it!

However, when I am in Forbidden Planet I do end up finding myself eyeing up the first Limited Edition volume Kill la Kill, because in terms of presentation, I think it's absolutely beautiful. Earlier today, I pointed it out to a female friend of mine who notoriously dislikes the series, but even she had to admit that the packaging was brilliant. I also feel that it's the perfect size and would fit nicely amongst my other blu-rays, which as I noted earlier, is one of my biggest concerns about the Ultimate Editions.
The Madoka Magica Limited Edition blu-rays that I paid about £150 to import from Japan were of a similar quality to the Kill la Kill release, so I am very much in love with your packaging decision there!

I will say though, that I hate O-cards and other cardboard slip cases. If a series has to be housed in anything, I prefer rigid boxes, like Kill la Kill's.

(I fecking love the Kill la Kill packaging. Definitely ordering the volume 1 LE when I get paid).

NormanicGrav said:
GolGotha said:
anime_andrew said:
I think they're pretty cool myself but it does take a lot of pondering to sort out something else as we're basically blocked on most artworks to make a book and while I am sure we could have a 96 page book made up, I think it'd be a stretch to get it approved by Japan so I figure something nice packaging-wise would be cool.

So in terms of assets, probably what Aniplex / Funimation have had is all. Investigating what France did as well for now as they mention a booklet for example :).

AP

I'm not a fan of steel books, but would love a artbook, if it is at all possible.

On a side note, did Japan do a limited edition set for Baccano at all?

Just checked what the Japanese Blu-ray Disc Box had to offer, only the Textless Opening and Endings.

Both the Japanese & US Blu-ray sets used this for their cover art, using that for your Steelbook or Collector's Edition Rigid case would look nice Andrew.

Baccano_1.jpg
Baccano_2.jpg

That piece of artwork could look amazing as a steelbook. Maybe clip off the black borders to bring the edges together, then have the series' title, Anime Limited's logo and that stuff on the outer card bit, so that when opened up, the steelbook displays a whole, pretty image? (Although maybe the title would need to be on the spine too?).

Steelbooks are easily my favourite kind of packaging. Bog-standard amarays/thinpaks in a rigid case works for me too. I usually quite like digipacks, but it's the jumbo digipacks I'm not sure about. I don't have the Gurren ultimate set, but looking at the pictures, I'm not a fan of the plastic disc trays being smaller than the pack itself. Once my Patema Inverted Ultimate set arrives, I'll be able to have a more informed opinion on them.

I think digibooks are pretty nice as well, I have the Blade Runner Final Cut one from the USA and it's excellent. Just googled Digifiles, not too sure about those really, they look kind of flimsy to me?

Incidentally, I'm still surprised how many general BD buyers will pick a specific edition just because it has a slipcover. Probably not particularly relevant here but just a general observation! For me they're a nice bonus if they're there on a standard release but I'm not fussed at all if they're not.

A steelbook for Baccano would be cool. Artcards don't really do anything for me but I don't object to them being there in particular (postcards on the other hand :twisted: ). Come to think of it, I haven't actually seen Baccano yet. Any chance of it going up on Netflix so I could try before I buy Andrew?

I'm not sure on a steelbook, just because it's not the norm for a series, little out of my comfort zone ;) .. If it was something that you started to do frequently, I'd be up for it but a single steelbook series release would look odd in my collection lol. I do love me some steel tho.

The image Mangaranga posted was gorgeous, I'd be up for a UK edition of that.
Anything similar to your other releases on collectors format would make me happy, I love that rigid box you guys do & with that, I do also like what MVM use, like on Fate/Zero & their older releases (Like Love Hina & Ah My Goddess, it's nice & slick. Fancy enough without being too much) so I'd be into that for sure.

I cannot give an opinion on Ultimate packaging as I'm not sure on what is what. Sorry.

Perhaps a minor issue but stop using the white/grey Bluray boxes and use the standard blue ones so they don't look out of place on the shelf.

Random said:
Perhaps a minor issue but stop using the white/grey Bluray boxes and use the standard blue ones so they don't look out of place on the shelf.

I've never liked the blue ones. They're just blue because they wanted to separate them from the red HD-DVD cases. I want grey, yellow, orange, black, green, more colors! More fun!

Back