Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a sub guy anyway so as long as it had the original jpn audio and eng subs I'd be happy :)

jpn VA's were very good from what I recall.

Still doesn't make a lot of sense to have two dubs of a new show, sounds like licensing issues which shouldn't really exist. So much stuff doesn't have dubs at all.

I am a sub guy anyway so as long as it had the original jpn audio and eng subs I'd be happy :)

jpn VA's were very good from what I recall.

Still doesn't make a lot of sense to have two dubs of a new show, sounds like licensing issues which shouldn't really exist. So much stuff doesn't have dubs at all.
Netflix are abusing the way the licences for dubs work. The dub remains the property of the company that commissioned it until the costs are recouped and as a subscription streaming service are basically not putting any of their fee into paying for the dub production cost.

Then once the home video release comes around they charge an extortionate amount to use them.

I usually watch sub as well but mostly because it fits most anime (e.g the show takes place in Japan). If a show doesn't have that burden and has a good dub I'm open to it.

Netflix are abusing the way the licences for dubs work. The dub remains the property of the company that commissioned it until the costs are recouped and as a subscription streaming service are basically not putting any of their fee into paying for the dub production cost.

Then once the home video release comes around they charge an extortionate amount to use them.
Sounds like a pretty crappy thing to do... I'm shocked.

But you'd think the license agreement has a time frame? Like must be repaid in 5yrs etc 🤷‍♂️

I ordered Kakegurui and I am also among those disappointed by the lack of a good dub. That said there is a positive side to this situation - if AL did manage to secure the original dub, the subtitles probably wouldn't have been polished/improved.

Now that it's using the Sentai discs, the subtitles should be polished even though the dub is not to everyone's liking.

Like someone else mentioned the JP VA is still really good and you can always still watch the 'good' dub on Netflix... until they don't renew the license and then it's lost forever! But that's a problem for the future licensees to work out 😂
Nah I was just teasing, I'm always set with JP VAs here 🙌 I'm not missing out on anything 😁

Sounds like a pretty crappy thing to do... I'm shocked.

But you'd think the license agreement has a time frame? Like must be repaid in 5yrs etc 🤷‍♂️
If it's true that the license for the dub returns to the Japanese studios. I can't help but wonder if they got a bit burned by that too lol.

If it's true that the license for the dub returns to the Japanese studios. I can't help but wonder if they got a bit burned by that too lol.
That is how modern licences work. Anime Limited got burned by it before where Mai Mai Miracle got re released in Japan with the English dub before the Kickstarter release as the costs had already been recouped and the rights for the dub reverted to the production committee.

Apparently Anime Limited has licensed Kakegurui Season 2 and will release it at some point
I wonder if we will get the second season already next year. I hope we don't have to wait long for it to be released.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211206-194941.png
    Screenshot_20211206-194941.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 4
Ok, since apparently shipping to Switzerland is faster than shipping to the UK, I can confirm that the blue box does indeed contain the titles mentioned previously, those being, and I spoiler

Ride your Wave
Birthday Wonderland
The Dragon Dentist
Fullmetal Alchemist CE Part 1

Pics will follow in the appropriate thread
I’m not sure whether it’s in the spirit of the mystery box to not buy it until you know the contents but…

My 10% voucher is still in play so I’ll obviously have to top up my order with some collector's editions too. Dang. Thought my wallet escaped unscathed this year but just when I thought I was out…

6802E5C1-5144-47B4-A32C-37F4B8FF7FB4.gif

Is this legit or is Zavvi just jumping the gun? I also presume the Sentai listing is temporary as well?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211206-233326.jpg
    Screenshot_20211206-233326.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20211206-233256.jpg
    Screenshot_20211206-233256.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 16
Is this legit or is Zavvi just jumping the gun? I also presume the Sentai listing is temporary as well?

Zavvi in recent months have been listing US imports on the UK stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back