Status
Not open for further replies.
Narrowed down the potential items for this year's mystery box, no clue what would go into which so feel free to buy both to find out.

Films:
  • Birthday Wonderland
  • Children of the Sea
  • Ride Your Wave
  • Summer Days with Coo
TV Series/OVAs:
  • Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Part 1
  • The Dragon Dentist
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) Part 1
  • Terror in Resonance
Grav's Thoughts:

If this does turn out to be the final selection, it's an interesting one but I do think more people should watch Children of the Sea because it's a great experience.

Retail value for each box is about £160, so each box is probably going to have some shows and some films to balance out (since 1 series is £59.99 SRP).

I believe AL usually has a rule where if a title is in the existing sale it won't be in the box, so some titles would be ruled out. Though Kill la Kill could appear, but the complete series collection released last year is not a collector's edition (it's basically 3 part standard sets with a box).

Narrowed down the potential items for this year's mystery box, no clue what would go into which so feel free to buy both to find out.

Films:
  • Birthday Wonderland
  • Children of the Sea
  • Ride Your Wave
  • Summer Days with Coo
TV Series/OVAs:
  • Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Part 1
  • The Dragon Dentist
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) Part 1
  • Terror in Resonance
Grav's Thoughts:

If this does turn out to be the final selection, it's an interesting one but I do think more people should watch Children of the Sea because it's a great experience.

Retail value for each box is about £160, so each box is probably going to have some shows and some films to balance out (since 1 series is £59.99 SRP).

I believe AL usually has a rule where if a title is in the existing sale it won't be in the box, so some titles would be ruled out. Though Kill la Kill could appear, but the complete series collection released last year is not a collector's edition (it's basically 3 part standard sets with a box).

Is there some kind of rule that states that only releases up to date-x months are included in the box? Is some of the more recent stuff out of the question? Because if that's really the selection of series, I'm gutted lol

I got the blue box, so getting the obvious two sea-themed movies would be ideal, but yeah, those series. Hm.

Is there some kind of rule that states that only releases up to date-x months are included in the box? Is some of the more recent stuff out of the question? Because if that's really the selection of series, I'm gutted lol

I got the blue box, so getting the obvious two sea-themed movies would be ideal, but yeah, those series. Hm.
Yeah they have a rule that states no items from April/May 2021 to present will be included in the sale.

The goal of the mystery box is to mainly get rid of stock, especially titles that have tons left. In the past, at least 500 units are usually allocated to the mystery box.

Any impressions on Full Metal Panic, Eureka Seven, Escaflowne?
Full Metal Panic ranges from good to great, with Fumoffu being the highlight. Eureka Seven is great, with a complete story that has plenty of breathing room thanks to its length. The Escaflowne TV series is an all-time classic; if you haven't seen it, don't hesitate.
Had organised myself to be able to order in time this year and managed to get Lucky Star, which I'd missed last year, but lost out on the unexpected Claymore as I was waffling about something or the other.
Lucky Star sold out in minutes, like last year. I suspect you got the one copy they're allowed to sell per year.

On AL I picked up:
ZZ Gundam BOGOF
Noein (upgrading my old DVDs)
Eureka Seven: Hi-Evolution 1 (upgrading my DVD. This is the only time I've bought a movie I don't like twice. Worth it for that first 25 minutes though.)
Millennium Actress (Again upgrading my US DVD)

On MVM I bought:
Mahoromatic: Something More Beautiful
Michiko and Hatchin

Nothing beats the endorphin rush of buying a complete anime series for less than £2.

Also, if anyone doesn't own Sound! Euphonium yet, you owe it to yourself to grab that free copy AL are giving away. Basically, if you don't then just hand in your otaku card; you're off the team. 😅 I already own it and I'm tempted to get a second copy as a backup.

Yeah they have a rule that states no items from April/May 2021 to present will be included in the sale.

The goal of the mystery box is to mainly get rid of stock, especially titles that have tons left. In the past, at least 500 units are usually allocated to the mystery box.

Hm. I think I'm gonna maybe be a bother and make a request to cancel the order then.

Edit: ah scheisse, I like to live deliciously. Let's keep it. Maybe I'll luck out and get Violet Evergarden and Ride Your Wave. That would be a massive win.

Last edited:
Not much in the general sale for me, most of the things I'd want cheap I already got in earlier Christmas sales (far cheaper than what they're going for this year too...). If Rayearth is still in stock whenever CCS Early Bird drops I'll grab those with it so I can use the 15% code.

I was hoping The Dragon Dentist would be on sale at a decent price but I guess that'll be in one of the mystery boxes so may be able to pick it up cheap from someone that doesn't want it.

My headcanon is now that Aldnoah Zero only ever got one single CE, the one I just bought for 5 pounds.

I'll throw what I'm assuming are the dub discs out and put in the 1st season's discs and live happily ever after.

As for the EBs, what are we expecting stuff like Kaiba and Boogiepop (both 12/13 episode series, if I'm not mistaken) to cost? 35?

My headcanon is now that Aldnoah Zero only ever got one single CE, the one I just bought for 5 pounds.

I'll throw what I'm assuming are the dub discs out and put in the 1st season's discs and live happily ever after.
Well about that, each Aldnoah Zero season is 4 Blu-ray discs because Anime Limited had to match Hanabee's disc count which matched Aniplex of America (not the same discs as the US release though).

As for the EBs, what are we expecting stuff like Kaiba and Boogiepop (both 12/13 episode series, if I'm not mistaken) to cost? 35?

I'm expecting £59.99 SRP (£34.99) for most of them. Seraph might end up being £69.99 SRP (£39.99) due to the soundtrack CD.

Here's a very helpful price list prediction from @NormanicGrav
I had a stressful evening so I didn't have to time to process the early bird announcements properly.

I'm going to predict the price range for these since budgeting ahead of schedule is important. Like before, the titles are going to be randomised so one could appear on Day 2 while the other could appear on Day 10.

Belladonna of Sadness
They haven't specified whether this is a combo pack to my understanding but I'm going to give it the same range as Millennium Actress and Your name, which is probably £49.99 SRP.

Blood-C & Blood-C: The Last Dark
Who could have predicted a 500 unit Ultimate Edition release? I certainly didn't expect this but then again these are the same folks who gave us a B: The Beginning Ultimate Edition (with broadcast masters heh). Price-range is probably going to be similar to B at £129.99 SRP.

Boogiepop Phantom
Spooky... but very nice. This series did get a UK release before and it'll very likely be using the Nozomi discs, so price range would be the usual £59.99 SRP.

Cardcaptor Sakura
We know this is a special release because it has all 70 episodes together in one big box set. 10 discs, Pioneer subs and 4K scan. Price-range will probably be £149.99-179.99 SRP due to BBFC costs.

Code Geass Film Collection
The movie trilogy and the Re;surrection film together in one collection. Price range is probably £59.99 SRP (like buy 4 £19.99 SRP films for the price of 3 in a sense).

El-Hazard: The Magnificent World
A 11 episode OVA series and very likely to be using the Nozomi discs. This one will probably be treated the same as buying a 12-13 episode series due to the episode lengths, so expect £59.99 SRP range.

Kaiba
Another pretty easy to identify release since it'll be a 1-cour subtitled only release and very likely to be using the Discotek discs. Depending on content expect £59.99-69.99 SRP range.

Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler
Even though we lose the Netflix dub, Sentai authoring is generally pretty solid so the subtitles will be better I reckon. It's an unfortunate outcome but blame Netflix. Since it'll use the Sentai discs, expect £59.99 SRP range.

My-HiME
Also previously released in the UK before (under Beez) so BBFC costs are sorted. Funimation discs confirmed so it'll likely be £59.99 SRP range.

Seraph of the End -Vampire Reign-
Both seasons, already BBFC'd, but the CE content is where it's at with its OST & booklet. I reckon a higher range than the usual amount at £69.99-79.99 SRP just in case.

Silver Spoon
Both seasons packaged together like last year's Kill la Kill etc. Probably going for £59.99 SRP range.

---------------------

Grav's Price Guess (SRP - EB - 10% off)£ 819.89£ 509.89£ 458.90
Belladonna of Sadness£ 49.99£ 24.99£ 22.49
Blood-C & Blood-C: The Last Dark£ 129.99£ 79.99£ 71.99
Boogiepop Phantom£ 59.99£ 34.99£ 31.49
Cardcaptor Sakura£ 149.99£ 119.99£ 107.99
Code Geass Film Collection£ 59.99£ 34.99£ 31.49
El-Hazard: The Magnificent World£ 59.99£ 34.99£ 31.49
Kaiba£ 59.99£ 34.99£ 31.49
Kakegurui: Compulsive Gambler£ 59.99£ 34.99£ 31.49
My-HiME£ 59.99£ 34.99£ 31.49
Seraph of the End -Vampire Reign-£ 69.99£ 39.99£ 35.99
Silver Spoon£ 59.99£ 34.99£ 31.49

Heh I see the expert has answered your question again regardless.

Is both parts of K any good?

I have the VIZ Season 1 but never watched it... £15 seems a decent value to finish the series... but I noticed its by the same studio that gave us Handshakers, Coppelion and... oh god forbid I say this name... W'z

Picked up the following from the MVM sale:
Girlish Number Collection
Flowers of Evil Collection
Kamisama Dolls
Watamote Complete Collection
Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle Collection
So I Can't Play H Collection
Mysterious Girlfriend X Complete Collection
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun Collection
Waiting in the Summer Complete Collection
Girls Beyond the Wasteland Collection

Reactions: Dai
Is both parts of K any good?

I have the VIZ Season 1 but never watched it... £15 seems a decent value to finish the series... but I noticed its by the same studio that gave us Handshakers, Coppelion and... oh god forbid I say this name... W'z
From what I remember the visuals are pretty out there but not as bad as Hand Shakers. Real shame since they've obviously got great talent at GoHands but it's been directed towards giving me a headache

If those are the titles going in the mystery boxes, I'll be giving them a miss this year. Profiteering on CeX isn't as bountiful as it once was, after all. Only one I'd try to watch is Children of the Sea. I wanted Fujikotits & Kill la Kill to sell my overly large big, black... box.

Gate for £7.99 is good value via MVM, also. Like Goto, I am somewhat tempted by the allure of complete series I own not for £1.99. Will probably resist. Bugger hoarding. (Noein's blu-ray is barely, if at all, an upgrade on DVD. Nice CE tho.)

Just been informed by them that these titles will NOT BE added back
No more lucky star
No more attack on titan junior high
No more shimonetta and no more barakamon.... Gutted.

You're clearly a man with good sources, Dave. In the know, as it were. What's more, I see we share the same birth year thanks to your creative username AND first name starting initial. 'Tis fate~

Can you find out if Gundam Zeta/Iron Blood is going to magically reappear, in stock? You see, I'm not as young as I once was and, what's more, suicidally depressed--just look at my avatar, drained of all xmas joys. Alas, I couldn't bring myself to order asap. I know after the Eva square saga AL aren't good at stock allocation but the Gundam standard editons going out of the stock from the BOGOF on day 1... also, I paid £70 a year ago for those standard editions of the original Gundam. I want my money back as I never watched them.

If you could pass this on to your contact, I'd appreciate this greatly. 🤝

Last edited:
Reactions: Dai
Full Metal Panic ranges from good to great, with Fumoffu being the highlight. Eureka Seven is great, with a complete story that has plenty of breathing room thanks to its length. The Escaflowne TV series is an all-time classic; if you haven't seen it, don't hesitate.

Also, if anyone doesn't own Sound! Euphonium yet, you owe it to yourself to grab that free copy AL are giving away. Basically, if you don't then just hand in your otaku card; you're off the team. 😅 I already own it and I'm tempted to get a second copy as a backup.
Lol, Fumoffu is the season of FMP I will most likely never watch, because of the comedy... 😅

I agree with you fully on Eureka Seven and Escaflowne, though - two mecha series that I, Mr. Mecha Hater, really do like!

What free copy of Sound! Euphonium? I guess I missed that, because I added it in my first order from AL. But, it was only £11.24 for me, and it was just enough to get my order over £100 for free international shipping. I wasn't even planning on getting any of these, but what the hey, cheap prices for mostly CE sets, plus I got 10% off...

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Part 1 - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Part 2 - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Part 3 - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
Tokyo ESP - Blu-ray/DVD Collector's Edition
Ride Your Wave - Blu-ray/DVD Collector's Edition
Sound! Euphonium - Blu-ray

I used the one-time 10% code that was emailed to me, so after VAT was removed and with 10% off, that brought the total down to £102.73, with free international shipping. I still have the one-time 15% code and my AnimeUnLimited 10% membership to use on the Early Bird CE orders.

If those are the titles going in the mystery boxes, I'll be giving them a miss this year. Profiteering on CeX isn't as bountiful as it once was, after all. Only one I'd try to watch is Children of the Sea. I wanted Fujikotits & Kill la Kill to sell my overly large big, black... box.

Gate for £7.99 is good value via MVM, also. Like Goto, I am somewhat tempted by the allure of complete series I own not for £1.99. Will probably resist. Bugger hoarding. (Noein's blu-ray is barely, if at all, an upgrade on DVD. Nice CE tho.)

You're clearly a man with good sources, Dave. In the know, as it were. What's more, I see we share the same birth year thanks to your creative username AND first name starting initial. 'Tis fate~

Can you find out if Gundam Zeta/Iron Blood is going to magically reappear, in stock? You see, I'm not as young as I once was and, what's more, suicidally depressed--just look at my avatar, drained of all xmas joys. Alas, I couldn't bring myself to order asap. I know after the Eva square saga AL aren't good at stock allocation but the Gundam standard editons going out of the stock from the BOGOF on day 1... also, I paid £70 a year ago for those standard editions of the original Gundam. I want my money back as I never watched them.

If you could pass this on to your contact, I'd appreciate this greatly. 🤝
😬😬Haha nah... I wish... I sent them a dm on twitter asking about them... As i had them in my basket to checkout... But then went oos before i could... Gutted

Last edited:
Lol, Fumoffu is the season of FMP I will most likely never watch, because of the comedy... 😅

I agree with you fully on Eureka Seven and Escaflowne, though - two mecha series that I, Mr. Mecha Hater, really do like!

What free copy of Sound! Euphonium? I guess I missed that, because I added it in my first order from AL. But, it was only £11.24 for me, and it was just enough to get my order over £100 for free international shipping. I wasn't even planning on getting any of these, but what the hey, cheap prices for mostly CE sets, plus I got 10% off...

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Part 1 - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Part 2 - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Part 3 - Blu-ray Collector's Edition
Tokyo ESP - Blu-ray/DVD Collector's Edition
Ride Your Wave - Blu-ray/DVD Collector's Edition
Sound! Euphonium - Blu-ray

I used the one-time 10% code that was emailed to me, so after VAT was removed and with 10% off, that brought the total down to £102.73, with free international shipping. I still have the one-time 15% code and my AnimeUnLimited 10% membership to use on the Early Bird CE orders.

Sweet deal with the free international shipping! Makes me wish MVM did that, but knowing AL does I'll relook at some things there! Thanks for the heads up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back