Anime Limited & MVM's 12 Days of Christmas 2020: 1st-12th Dec | 9:30am MVM, 5:00pm AL

I thought Ride Your Wave was terrific as well, since it's been mentioned.
So did I. It became one of my all-time favourite anime films on the first watch.

I liked Children of the Sea a lot at SLA as well; it's probably not the greatest story ever told, but the visuals...! Oh my god, they're utterly astounding. 😵

Thought both were very good visually, but the plots were a bit silly in RYW and downright insane in CotS.
Like Fireworks they'll budget buys. Might check the manga for CotS to see if makes more sense reading it.

I saw both CotS and RYW at SLA's Aberdeen screenings in January this year.

RYW was great, I thought probably the best of all the movies shown. Not sure I'm that bothered about seeing it again any time soon so I'm not buying it right now.

CotS was very pretty but was far too long, vague and obtuse. I took my teenage daughter with me to see it and she almost fell asleep she was so bored by it. I've no intention of watching it again, though I'm glad I saw it once.

As we are comparing,

When it comes to RYW, I'm definitely closer to Shadow Cat than you who like it. Not really bad, but hardly good either. I think that if Lu over the Wall was a Ponyo (or similar anime) gone "Yuasa style" and that mix worked, RYW was a Your Name (or similar anime) gone "Yuasa style" and that mix failed.

Children of the Sea on the other hand feels like a movie I can re-watch many times over in the years to come, catching small details here and there. I liked the experience, especially the visuals, and I do really think there is something in the narrative. In fact I think I might have gotten an idea about what the message in story is during the ending so I'm excited to be able to see it again to see how well that idea fits the rest of the story.

It's fascinating how much opinions can differ 😁

I also would happily get both as budget buys and not at RRP.

On the subject of comparisons, CotS was certainly visually stunning with an ambiguous plot that one would probably unravel new elements of with each viewing. However, I didn't feel so much for the characters nor find it entertaining enough to rush in to buy or watch again straightaway.

I quite enjoyed RYW also and thought the visuals were beautiful in that too but more in the "Yuasa style" with sweet characters. In my humble opinion, it would have benefited significantly from more ambiguity,
especially in the way that a reviewer described an interpretation of the fantasy elements being more a reflection of a coping mechanism for grief, which unfortunately is no longer tenable by the clear cut ending

Last edited:
I quite enjoyed RYW also and thought the visuals were beautiful in that too but more in the "Yuasa style" with sweet characters. In my humble opinion, it would have benefited significantly from more ambiguity, especially in the way that a reviewer described an interpretation of the fantasy elements being more a reflection of a coping mechanism for grief, which unfortunately is no longer tenable by the clear cut ending.

Oh that's certainly my interpretation too, and I don't think that the events of the plot make that less valid. The idea that it's a manifestation of her grief does not mean that has to be hallucinatory .Ghosts are often used for the purpose but they're often still able to perform actions that affect the external/'real' worlds. I think I described it before as 'Ghost, but wetter!' I'd probably agree that it's not quite worth splashing (pun fully intended) £20 on, but AL have done a nice job with the release.

Oh that's certainly my interpretation too, and I don't think that the events of the plot make that less valid. The idea that it's a manifestation of her grief does not mean that has to be hallucinatory .Ghosts are often used for the purpose but they're often still able to perform actions that affect the external/'real' worlds. I think I described it before as 'Ghost, but wetter!' I'd probably agree that it's not quite worth splashing (pun fully intended) £20 on, but AL have done a nice job with the release.

Good point and I did not think to look at it that way. Makes me appreciate it more now. Stupid question, but how can I blank out text for spoilers?

Edit: I think I sort of figured it out heh

Last edited:

MVM Mystery Box
from the final list, i did this morning i managed to predict 3 of them, Dai Shogun, Vatican Miracle Examiner and Devils and Realist(this one especially cause it was in the deal of the week twice this year already, Land of lustrous is rather surprising, FOZ was already in a previus mystery box, looks like MVM is starting to repeat a few titles now with both that and captain earth and bakuon in the dvd box were already in previus mysery box
Looks decent i guess.

Quick Question and this somewhat related with the mystery box so il put in spoilers:
is the rest of the FOZ blu rays sold out? the only one i could find is S3 the rest are not on the site.

Quick Question and this somewhat related with the mystery box so il put in spoilers:
is the rest of the FOZ blu rays sold out? the only one i could find is S3 the rest are not on the site.
They're all oop due to being changed to a complete collection which also seems to be oop

This set seems to be back in stock but expect limited quantities. If you're interested, I'd suggest you act now before its sold out once more.

This set seems to be back in stock but expect limited quantities. If you're interested, I'd suggest you act now before its sold out once more.

Thank you kindly...

Back