Anime Limited & MVM's 12 Days of Christmas 2020: 1st-12th Dec | 9:30am MVM, 5:00pm AL

Let’s not forget the biggest anime company (because they are owned by an MNC) don’t have a similar sale and that zavvi/Amazon was way way worse than what MVM offered.
And for me at this points it’s not the discounts offered it’s what’s licensed and yeah FUNi has killed that for new shows so I can see why MVM is struggling and AL is more going to a discotek strategy (classics) that are cheaper. For all my complaining about AL sets the Utena is better than what crap standard FUNi did for Sarazanmai.

Since Monogatari turned out to be one of my all time favorites that's very high praise lol. Thanks for the answer I think you sold it :)
I consider Monogatari as a whole to be a very 5/10 franchise. Sometimes it'll have fantastic stories like Kizumonogatari or the Sodachi arcs but there's a lot of other arcs I find disgusting.

While Bunny Girl doesn't reach the same highs as Monogatari I just find it to be a more tonally consistent series with less disturbing themes. At the end of the day it's just personal preference.

For me that fact that can Sodachi the best depiction of mental illness I’ve seen in that genre (thanks Sodachi Fisaco for allowing to go in her head) and then more risqué stuff is a reason I love it and maybe I think sexuality is part of growing up which is why I love Zoku Owarimonogatari because it’s Araragi growing up.

I consider Monogatari as a whole to be a very 5/10 franchise. Sometimes it'll have fantastic stories like Kizumonogatari or the Sodachi arcs but there's a lot of other arcs I find disgusting.

While Bunny Girl doesn't reach the same highs as Monogatari I just find it to be a more tonally consistent series with less disturbing themes. At the end of the day it's just personal preference.
I mean yeah it's obvious we disagree on Monogatari lol

I love Bunny Girl but I feel dreaming girl is such a great ending of what it set up I don’t know if I want a sequel (as I know the books are ongoing) which unlike monogatari yes I do, I do love both. Bunny Girl was great to revisit without the hype before the US dreaming girl release as the EDs are bangers.

I love Bunny Girl but I feel dreaming girl is such a great ending of what it set up I don’t know if I want a sequel (as I know the books are ongoing) which unlike monogatari yes I do, I do love both. Bunny Girl was great to revisit without the hype before the US dreaming girl release as the EDs are bangers.
Thanks for the recommendation as well. I'll definitely check it out I think and see how it lives up to Mono :)

I've watched all of Monogatari and I agree that Bunny Girl is the more accessible show, with a less problematic main character and an almost total absence of creepy fanservice. I could watch Bunny Girl with my wife, but she'd never tolerate the borderline paedophilic shenanigans in Monogatari. Although Monogatari generally looks and sounds fantastic, it can be so obtuse and repetitive and even boring at times. I was never bored during Bunny Girl, it was effortless to watch. I really hope the movie gets licensed here, because I've not seen it yet.

Seems like it might be a good time to post this list of recommendations I made for MVM titles on Blu-ray as a lil bit of encouragement (it was meant as a response to people saying Anime Limited have a much better range of stuff). Sorry I haven’t properly written up any of these and I know some of them are out of print but I just wanted to show my appreciation/stick up for MVM a bit really (DGMW I love Anime Limited too!)

Seen, would recommend

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Berserk (1997)
Chobits
Fate/Zero
Flip Flappers
Fruits Basket (2001)
Girls' Last Tour
Kids on the Slope
Land of the Lustrous
A Lull in the Sea
Made in Abyss
O Maidens in Your Savage Season (tbf I haven't quite finished the final ep of this for reasons I won't go into, but it was def a good show from what I saw)
Samurai Champloo
Serial Experiments Lain
Scum's Wish (I wouldn't recommend this as highly as most of the other ones on the list but I like the risks it takes and thought it was compelling throughout)
Skip-Beat
Tenchi Muyo OVAs
Toradora

Haven't seen but have heard a lot of good things and will pick up at some point/currently watching

After the Rain (just bought the BD, only seen 2 or 3 eps so far but I'm digging it)
The Demon Girl Next Door (just pre-ordered cuz lots of people seem keen on this here on this very forum and the premise sounded cute and funny)
Fate/Franchise, rest of (yep all I've really seen is Fate/Zero but that was very good I'd happily watch the rest)
Girls und Panzer (I can't guarantee I'd like this one but I will check it out based on all the good buzz around it)
Log Horizon (Sword Art Online but done better sounds like a good premise to me, someone who never watched SAO beyond part of the first episode XD )
Monogatari Series (tho I have seen a few eps and it convinced me to see the rest at some point plus I have bought every Monogatari series novel that shows up on Audible as they're excellent audiobook versions)
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (I have watched the first three quarters of this and it’s excellent)
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Revue Starlight (this got a lot of critical acclaim and is supposed to be quite Ikuhara-esque, can't wait to see it!)
Watamote

Not my thing but people like it/critically acclaimed so it belongs here:

Cells at Work
The Eccentric Family Season 1 (I can see this is good, it just didn't click with me)
Garden of Sinners (too violent for me but it's undeniably well regarded)
Higurashi: When They Cry
Maid-sama! (I was in a shoujo fan group and this series was discussed and loved on a lot, it's clearly popular)
No Game No Life (I really didn't like this but it's obviously really popular overall so here it is).

Some other titles of note:

Bodacious Space Pirates
Bloom Into You
Ergo Proxy
Grimoire of Zero
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl
Hanasaku Iroha
Monster Musume
Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun
UQ Holder

Thanks for what you do MVM! :)

Completely agree, there are some absolute gems in this list. I could ramble on & on about a lot of these titles but just to say that After the rain is excellent, and not what the synopsis would suggest, as per the critic reviews; and Monogatari is genius but with a very heavy caveat regarding the fan service, which despite some fans' scholarly discourses & justifications is just creepy for all the reasons stated (I do wonder whether Monogatari would come across too pretentious without the fan service but I'm certain there are other ways to address that).

Sorry, rambling... Meant to agree regarding all the great anime from mvm and all other legal providers including streaming services. Used to be that you'd struggle to get evangelion dvds in Virgin megastores (yes, I'm from that era) and now we're spoilt for choice, even in the UK's niche market!

The Heaven's Feel movies have some spectacular animation (possibly all that UFOtable tax evasion cash at work) but extremely dark subject matter. I hope they announce a date for the release of movie 3 soon.

Fate/Apocrypha is a lot more lightweight, and fun, and stars one of my favourite Fate characters (you can probably guess who, from my avatar...)
I hoping against hope that screenanime will stream heavens feel 3 given their recent showings of the first 2!

I'm curious why MVM considers the Initial D Movie Collection an 'early bird' release. I've had it for a very long time, since last year. Is it 'early' for the UK? (I'm in the US).

Also, I'm new to MVM and AL, so why do you call it MVM and not AoL?

I'm curious why MVM considers the Initial D Movie Collection an 'early bird' release. I've had it for a very long time, since last year. Is it 'early' for the UK? (I'm in the US).

UK companies work with a UK perspective when doing early bird deals. As this doesn't get released until February it makes sense that it would get an early bird deal.

We refer to AOL and MVM as the same group as MVM operates the AOL site.

MVM is the distro, AoL is the webstore, MVM started out as a mail order company that was offered anime licenses by Anime Projects, when they went bankrupt, since then they have been a main stay in the UK,
Look at it as Right stuf, who have Nozomi etc

thank you both!!!

So in respect to the early bird, it's taken a year for the release to reach the UK?! wow, that kind of blows my mind!!!
Not really, a year is actually pretty reasonable, i have seen series that take far longer than that to reach the uk market let alone others never even make it outside of the states.

Alternatively, and one reason I'm loving AL and MVM, is there are some that doesnt make it to the US. The original Berserk for example, and a complete collection of Accel. The Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is available as one set on these sites, and in Rightstuf they are broken into 2 collector sets, each at $100 USD.

Just makes me /headdesk at some of their sets when I compare to AL and MVM. Sentai is a great distributor, as far as their prices go, they just dont have Rightstuf's selection. Now I have 2 more places to shop, I'm a happy camper!!!

Back