Anime Limited & MVM's 12 Days of Christmas 2020: 1st-12th Dec | 9:30am MVM, 5:00pm AL

Seems like it might be a good time to post this list of recommendations I made for MVM titles on Blu-ray as a lil bit of encouragement (it was meant as a response to people saying Anime Limited have a much better range of stuff). Sorry I haven’t properly written up any of these and I know some of them are out of print but I just wanted to show my appreciation/stick up for MVM a bit really (DGMW I love Anime Limited too!)

Seen, would recommend

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Berserk (1997)
Chobits
Fate/Zero
Flip Flappers
Fruits Basket (2001)
Girls' Last Tour
Kids on the Slope
Land of the Lustrous
A Lull in the Sea
Made in Abyss
O Maidens in Your Savage Season (tbf I haven't quite finished the final ep of this for reasons I won't go into, but it was def a good show from what I saw)
Samurai Champloo
Serial Experiments Lain
Scum's Wish (I wouldn't recommend this as highly as most of the other ones on the list but I like the risks it takes and thought it was compelling throughout)
Skip-Beat
Tenchi Muyo OVAs
Toradora

Haven't seen but have heard a lot of good things and will pick up at some point/currently watching

After the Rain (just bought the BD, only seen 2 or 3 eps so far but I'm digging it)
The Demon Girl Next Door (just pre-ordered cuz lots of people seem keen on this here on this very forum and the premise sounded cute and funny)
Fate/Franchise, rest of (yep all I've really seen is Fate/Zero but that was very good I'd happily watch the rest)
Girls und Panzer (I can't guarantee I'd like this one but I will check it out based on all the good buzz around it)
Log Horizon (Sword Art Online but done better sounds like a good premise to me, someone who never watched SAO beyond part of the first episode XD )
Monogatari Series (tho I have seen a few eps and it convinced me to see the rest at some point plus I have bought every Monogatari series novel that shows up on Audible as they're excellent audiobook versions)
Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (I have watched the first three quarters of this and it’s excellent)
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Revue Starlight (this got a lot of critical acclaim and is supposed to be quite Ikuhara-esque, can't wait to see it!)
Watamote

Not my thing but people like it/critically acclaimed so it belongs here:

Cells at Work
The Eccentric Family Season 1 (I can see this is good, it just didn't click with me)
Garden of Sinners (too violent for me but it's undeniably well regarded)
Higurashi: When They Cry
Maid-sama! (I was in a shoujo fan group and this series was discussed and loved on a lot, it's clearly popular)
No Game No Life (I really didn't like this but it's obviously really popular overall so here it is).

Some other titles of note:

Bodacious Space Pirates
Bloom Into You
Ergo Proxy
Grimoire of Zero
Ground Control to Psychoelectric Girl
Hanasaku Iroha
Monster Musume
Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun
UQ Holder

Thanks for what you do MVM! :)

As others have said the issue isnt that they dont have good titles, the issue is that the sales this year has not been their very best, they had better sales in the past.

But it seems they have been having some issues lately with licensing and stock upkeep(i mean to cancel the second mystery box their must have been an oversight of the stock of titles they were issuing or something)

I still would buy a few titles, i mean i already bought both the monthly girls nozaki kun ce set and todays mystery box.

@RadFemHedonist they have a good list of shows I just think most people would agree the pricing hasn't been great for a sale.

I got monogatari 2nd season from amazon about a week ago for £42, was £60 on sale on MVM directly.

I'd definitely encourage you to watch Monogatari from the start though.

I agree about the sale prices overall but it was more cuz someone said their good shows were few and far between and I'm not having a go at the people who said or agreed with that, I just thought I'd post something a bit more favourable about them and also thought it would be of some help to people looking for recommendations :)

As others have said the issue isnt that they dont have good titles, the issue is that the sales this year has not been their very best, they had better sales in the past.
Yeah I have noticed that this year's prices are the exact same as the year before with some tweaks. While I am perfectly fine with the £14.99 tag during their DOTW, I think for Christmas we're all too spoiled by Anime Limited's sales to the point where our expectations are too high. I was expecting £9.99 price tag for the Blu-rays and a big 60-80% discount on the CEs (especially when you consider the fact that Amazon has them for cheaper) instead of the 50% one.

Kill la kill
Hmm its been that price on the store all week🤔

You couldn't buy it until today, it was pre-order pending.

Kill la Kill is the new AL EB. It is finally time.

Ordered KLK along with RE:Zero S1 :)

I agree about the sale prices overall but it was more cuz someone said their good shows were few and far between and I'm not having a go at the people who said or agreed with that, I just thought I'd post something a bit more favourable about them and also thought it would be of some help to people looking for recommendations :)

Yeah I know what you mean, your list looks good to me with some I haven't seen on it, I'm working through a bit of a backlog but I'd check some of it out if I wasn't!

Yeah I have noticed that this year's prices are the exact same as the year before with some tweaks. While I am perfectly fine with the £14.99 tag during their DOTW, I think for Christmas we're all too spoiled by Anime Limited's sales to the point where our expectations are too high. I was expecting £9.99 price tag for the Blu-rays and a big 60-80% discount on the CEs (especially when you consider the fact that Amazon has them for cheaper) instead of the 50% one.
The sale the year before (2018 I think?) MVM has ridiculously good deals. I was getting blu rays for £6.99. Since then, they've never been that good and significantly more expensive. Which is fine, it's to be expected but also yeah, we got spoiled a bit so when their sales were signficantly more expensive than what we've seen them offer before, people do become kinda :/ about it.

I mean things like the funimation clear out we shouldn’t compare as they are obv just getting rid of those because they don’t have the license anymore and £5 for something they can’t sell is better than £0 and binning it.
MVM problem for me is they don’t have anything I want I got After the Rain and that is the only I’ve wanted in 10 months as all the Sentai shows I like get skipped and all the AoA show I like get skipped but hey Yuuna before the AoA release????

The sale the year before (2018 I think?) MVM has ridiculously good deals. I was getting blu rays for £6.99. Since then, they've never been that good and significantly more expensive. Which is fine, it's to be expected but also yeah, we got spoiled a bit so when their sales were signficantly more expensive than what we've seen them offer before, people do become kinda :/ about it.
This 100%.

Their 2018 xmas sale was fantastic, gave AL a serious run for their (well, our) money, this year is basically on a par with their sale last xmas, not terrible by any means but just not comparable to AL's fire sales, or what we've seen from MVM themselves in the past.

Anyways, their tweet saying 2020 releases at 40% off for days 7 and 8, I'm guessing that's 40% off the full RRP, where the MVM store price is pretty much already "25% off" across the board?

I.E. their standard releases for 2020 are typically £40 RRP, standard MVM price is £30, so will be presumably be on sale for £24?

I've been waiting for an offer on quiet a few of their 2020 releases, that'll probably tempt me for Anohana & Psychoelectric Girl, the rest I guess I'll be waiting for their inevitable debut on DOTW.

C'mon MVM, shock us with 40% off your standard prices, not off the RRP that no one ever sells them for!

MVM problem for me is they don’t have anything I want I got After the Rain and that is the only I’ve wanted in 10 months as all the Sentai shows I like get skipped and all the AoA show I like get skipped but hey Yuuna before the AoA release????

Oh come on you know very well why they can't list AoA titles.

Back