Anime Limited & MVM's 12 Days of Christmas 2020: 1st-12th Dec | 9:30am MVM, 5:00pm AL

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
Berserk (1997)
Chobits
Fate/Zero
Flip Flappers
Fruits Basket (2001)
Girls' Last Tour
Kids on the Slope
Land of the Lustrous
A Lull in the Sea
Made in Abyss
O Maidens in Your Savage Season (tbf I haven't quite finished the final ep of this for reasons I won't go into, but it was def a good show from what I saw)
Samurai Champloo
Serial Experiments Lain
Scum's Wish (I wouldn't recommend this as highly as most of the other ones on the list but I like the risks it takes and thought it was compelling throughout)
Skip-Beat
Tenchi Muyo OVAs
Toradora
I've seen most of these, agree they are good. Anohana made me cry so much. I think the only one I know nothing about is Skip-Beat.

Haven't seen but have heard a lot of good things and will pick up at some point/currently watching

After the Rain (just bought the BD, only seen 2 or 3 eps so far but I'm digging it)
I just got this in the MVM sale. Such a good show, I watched it stream subbed on Amazon Prime. I hope to watch the dub with my wife. She doesn't do subs.
Fate/Franchise, rest of (yep all I've really seen is Fate/Zero but that was very good I'd happily watch the rest)
I've been reading through the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel recently. It's very good, but very long. Nasu needs an editor really badly.
Monogatari Series (tho I have seen a few eps and it convinced me to see the rest at some point plus I have bought every Monogatari series novel that shows up on Audible as they're excellent audiobook versions)
I've mixed feelings on Monogatari. I enjoy a lot of it, find a significant proportion boring and am disturbed by some of the more overt creepy fanservice stuff (especially stuff involving little kids like Mayoi Hachikuji).
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
My favourite show of 2018
Cells at Work
I'm a medic, so I absolutely loved this. I keep the manga in my office at work to give my medical students to read!
Garden of Sinners (too violent for me but it's undeniably well regarded)
Never managed to finish this, but I loved what I saw. I'll get back to it, I've still got the last 2 or 3 movies to finish.
Higurashi: When They Cry
I binged all 55 episodes of this recently so I could contribute to a collaborative article on it. What a trip
Thanks for what you do MVM! :)
Agreed!

I saw fate/zero and enjoyed it. I am about halfway through fate stay/night ubw which is also good, although a tad slower to action and not quite as dark as fate/zero.

I saw fate/zero and enjoyed it. I am about halfway through fate stay/night ubw which is also good, although a tad slower to action and not quite as dark as fate/zero.
The Heaven's Feel movies have some spectacular animation (possibly all that UFOtable tax evasion cash at work) but extremely dark subject matter. I hope they announce a date for the release of movie 3 soon.

Fate/Apocrypha is a lot more lightweight, and fun, and stars one of my favourite Fate characters (you can probably guess who, from my avatar...)

The Heaven's Feel movies have some spectacular animation (possibly all that UFOtable tax evasion cash at work) but extremely dark subject matter. I hope they announce a date for the release of movie 3 soon.

Fate/Apocrypha is a lot more lightweight, and fun, and stars one of my favourite Fate characters (you can probably guess who, from my avatar...)

Is it Rin? Edit - it's Astolfo - I haven't bumped into Astolfo yet so probably why I don't know who that is :D

I think seeing the heavens feel films after fate ubw is a somewhat correct order right? The opinions on what is right seems to vary a bit.

Last edited:
I've seen most of these, agree they are good. Anohana made me cry so much. I think the only one I know nothing about is Skip-Beat.

I just got this in the MVM sale. Such a good show, I watched it stream subbed on Amazon Prime. I hope to watch the dub with my wife. She doesn't do subs.

I've been reading through the original Fate/Stay Night visual novel recently. It's very good, but very long. Nasu needs an editor really badly.

I've mixed feelings on Monogatari. I enjoy a lot of it, find a significant proportion boring and am disturbed by some of the more overt creepy fanservice stuff (especially stuff involving little kids like Mayoi Hachikuji).

My favourite show of 2018

I'm a medic, so I absolutely loved this. I keep the manga in my office at work to give my medical students to read!

Never managed to finish this, but I loved what I saw. I'll get back to it, I've still got the last 2 or 3 movies to finish.

I binged all 55 episodes of this recently so I could contribute to a collaborative article on it. What a trip

Agreed!
Skip beat is good imo. Worth a watch

The Heaven's Feel movies have some spectacular animation (possibly all that UFOtable tax evasion cash at work)
That's actually a pretty big misconception there. ufotable's budgets really aren't anything special compared to most studios. Their works only look so good due to their dedicated in house staff and digital effects team as well as really healthy production schedules. Budget rarely ever affects the visual quality of anime these days.

An Astolfo fan

Fate/Apocrypha isn’t light weight either and is pretty poor third worst... after FGO (due to not explaining it at all for non players) and Fate Extra.
I just hope we get FHA at some point. I think MVM will get HF III Dec-Jan 2021/22 as JP is March then US will be 3-6 months and then AUS/JP another 3-6.

Fate/Apocrypha isn’t light weight either and is pretty poor third worst... after FGO (due to not explaining it at all for non players) and Fate Extra.
I just hope we get FHA at some point. I think MVM will get HF III Dec-Jan 2021/22 as JP is March then US will be 3-6 months and then AUS/JP another 3-6.

People like to look down on it but FGO is actually one of the best writen ones (after camelot)

I agree with you on Apocrypha and Extra though

If I could play it legally I would and I won’t play the US version because I don’t agree with we can’t get it as someone said we originated the language even though we are in Europe,

the end of the series made no sense the monster looked bad and yeah it had a nice episode but the rest of that second half was awful I loved the first half with Gil but then I realized I love Gil from FSN and FHA and FZ and the world building those did not that.

If I could play it legally I would and I won’t play the US version because I don’t agree with we can’t get it as someone said we originated the language even though we are in Europe,

Yeah I wish we could play it without having to jump through loopholes. I'm ok with playing US personally though but I can't blame you.

Blimey I must be the only person that likes the MVM sale this year
I like it, too. Have bought a good number of titles.

Can't believe people are moaning about a sale which they don't even have to do!
Enjoy the reduced prices - I certainly am.

Buy or don't buy - but moaning about it is ridiculous.

I mean Fate/Apocrypha is light-weight only in comparison to Fate/Zero and Heaven's Feel... because let's be fair... most things are...

That's actually a pretty big misconception there. ufotable's budgets really aren't anything special compared to most studios. Their works only look so good due to their dedicated in house staff and digital effects team as well as really healthy production schedules. Budget rarely ever affects the visual quality of anime these days.
Ach, I'm just being facetious. UFOtable have put out amazing work for years, I don't really know enough about the nuts and bolts of anime production to comment seriously. I hope they treat their staff better than the average anime studio though.

the end of the series made no sense the monster looked bad and yeah it had a nice episode but the rest of that second half was awful I loved the first half with Gil but then I realized I love Gil from FSN and FHA and FZ and the world building those did not that.

Ah you edited the comment. The game does a better job explaining I guess, the monster at the end was one of the 7 beasts of the earth (tsukihime reference) called Tiamat. Tiamat was far more powerful than Goetia though so the 7th singularity was basically the reason the final episode ends in that big red alert with him storming Chaldea because he now see's Fujimaru as a huge threat for being able to destroy it.

I've played the US version of FGO for almost 3 years now, it's the only gacha-type game I play. I love it to bits. It was a little annoying having to get a US itunes account to facilitate downloading it but it wasn't that hard. At least that makes it even more difficult to spend money on it, so I generally don't...

I love FSN and FHA and I hate gatcha I can’t not in good consience see a franchise I love become what it’s become if we do get the FE remake or the Tsuhikime remake I’ll calm down but the fact the franchise I love for its VNs is this type of game I despise I can’t really justify supporting. Maybe the story is good but the fact a series than started from VNs has become this is ugh. And yeah the fact that this was localized over those VNs is annoying maybe even sickening but hey Aniplex rolling in that cash,

Back