UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

rezero-rezero-season-2.gif


Now would be a good time to get Re:ZERO Season 3 out of the way at this point. At least I waited than jumping ahead with the US version.
 
There might be some kind of licensing issue with Gunsmith Cats, as it's the only one of the AnimEigo blu-ray kickstarters that has not gotten a rerelease under AnimEigo's new ownership.
I'm not bragging but I'm damn glad I got the kickstarter bd release of this as I'm a very big fan of GSC. And I recall reading somewhere that there's a giant licensing snafu over it.
 
Hi, so I could use some help if anybody knows about the different releases of Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal. So I have the "Samurai X" ADV DVD 2 seperate releases of Trust and Betrayal, but I've found a Japanese Blu Ray, which seems to include English subtitles and no dub? I've heard conflicting things about them being different versions of the OVA / Movie and was wondering whether anybody knew anything?
 
Hi, so I could use some help if anybody knows about the different releases of Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal. So I have the "Samurai X" ADV DVD 2 seperate releases of Trust and Betrayal, but I've found a Japanese Blu Ray, which seems to include English subtitles and no dub? I've heard conflicting things about them being different versions of the OVA / Movie and was wondering whether anybody knew anything?

Hello, Rizzler. Thine effortless charisma drew me in~

I own the JP import release of Trust/Betrayal + Reflections OVAs. As well as the 'Samurai X' brick DVD box set, which included the sequel OVA series and iirc included a TV series movie.

20261001_134402.jpg

The dub is included for both OVAs on the Nippon BDs, along with the subs. And as an added bonus, the disc menu is in both JP and Eng. Checked dis.

You are likely confused by the "Director's Cut" movie compilation if two discs/versions, which afaik just removed the endings with some transitional bits added. It isn't the recommended method of viewing as it messed up the timing of Taku Iwasaki's wonderful music, plus removed some dialogue. Audio changes, basically. Compilation movies of OVAs often just cut content to fit the new format, with minimal effort. The fact it has been left behind on DVD (along with its cropped 4:3>16:9) is telling.

Your confusion might also be tied to ADV rebranding Kenshin to Samurai X. In Japan, the OVAs are simply split up; all under the Kenshin umbrella. Trust&Betrayal is one, Reflections another. Tho those share staff and are distinct from the cheapo look/style of of the TV anime; serving as both a standalone prequel that happens to be one of the bestest anime evar, and a sequel/conclusion to it and the TV series both.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top