UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Your booking is with what was Filmhouse so I'd be very surprised if the Scotland Loves Anime team would even be able to legally access booking details to transfer them even if they wanted to
Yeah, There's a part of me that's definitely seeing that, ie depends on contract agreements between the two charities, etc. I definitely see it as unlikely so will need to raise the Retail Dispute case with the bank at some point, but you never know.

As silly a question as it sounds, I'm assuming the best course of action here is to wait for Andrew, yourself and the team to confirm what the next steps are for us before proceeding to claim back the money spent? IE I suspect it's unlikely but if sale of tickets transferred over to something else in the event it happens?

We're currently investigating all possibilities to see what's feasible and workable - that's going to take a few working days, so I'd hope we'll have some news come the middle of next week. Personally speaking I'm not going to tell people not to claim back their ticket costs if they're concerned, but we are exploring all avenues just now.

Ok I suspect that the Edinburgh leg of this years SLA is now screwed

@Hanners
I get the feeling this is going to become a common occurrence across a whole range of UK businesses as the electricity/gas bills start to arrive.

Personally I’ll wait for statements from SLA and Filmhouse before going to my card issuer for refunds

I get the feeling this is going to become a common occurrence across a whole range of UK businesses as the electricity/gas bills start to arrive.
Yeah, it makes me very fearful for the GFT in fact, a very equivalent venue to the Edinburgh Filmhouse based in Glasgow. It’s holding the first weekend of SLA also in fact.
Its similarly iconic to the Filmhouse and would be a tragedy if it closed.

I live in Aberdeen, and recently I've been making an effort to visit the Belmont Filmhouse more often. Most screenings I went to had very few other people there. The cinema closing is properly tragic and I'm really gutted. That leaves us now with two Cineworld cinemas and a single Vue cinema. With Cineworld recently teetering on the brink of collapse, it's not too hard to imagine the city being left with only one operating cinema. I hope someone can step in to take over both Filmhouses, but I suspect these closures are but the first wave of a tsunami of upcoming closures affecting public businesses across the country. Worrying times indeed.

They are trying to secure a new venue at least

Most screenings I went to had very few other people there
I think in general cinemas are still trying to recover from having no audiences during the pandemic, and there's still some reluctance from people in getting out and about again. I myself haven't been going as much as I used to, and the one time I did go out to see Fruits Basket I got COVID so it's probably kinda justified.

But yeah, couple that with the current financial/energy crisis and it's no surprise it's going to overwhelm smaller businesses.

I live in Aberdeen, and recently I've been making an effort to visit the Belmont Filmhouse more often. Most screenings I went to had very few other people there. The cinema closing is properly tragic and I'm really gutted. That leaves us now with two Cineworld cinemas and a single Vue cinema. With Cineworld recently teetering on the brink of collapse, it's not too hard to imagine the city being left with only one operating cinema. I hope someone can step in to take over both Filmhouses, but I suspect these closures are but the first wave of a tsunami of upcoming closures affecting public businesses across the country. Worrying times indeed.
Yeah, the Vue in Aberdeen is a bit of a tip so hopefully something survives. Nothing will replace the Filmhouse though.

Wouldn't Picturehouse be the next obvious pick. I saw Inu-oh at our one, mainly because the Showcase didn't have it for some reason.
I see Edinburgh has a Picturehouse, so it's an option. Maybe that company could pick up the Filmhouse in Aberdeen as well, I'm guessing the one in Edinburgh would have to be rescued by another independent company.

Wouldn't Picturehouse be the next obvious pick. I saw Inu-oh at our one, mainly because the Showcase didn't have it for some reason.
I see Edinburgh has a Picturehouse, so it's an option. Maybe that company could pick up the Filmhouse in Aberdeen as well, I'm guessing the one in Edinburgh would have to be rescued by another independent company.

The Belmont was a Picturehouse before Filmhouse took it over. IIRC, Cineworld bought over Picturehouse about 10 years ago and because they already have 2 cinemas in Aberdeen they were forced to sell or shut one of them due to competition law which would presumably still apply.

The Belmont was a Picturehouse before Filmhouse took it over. IIRC, Cineworld bought over Picturehouse about 10 years ago and because they already have 2 cinemas in Aberdeen they were forced to sell or shut one of them due to competition law which would presumably still apply.
Yeah, that ruling also impacted where I live (Cambridge). The city had both a Cineworld and a Picturehouse, and after a lengthy public campaign to save the Arts Picturehouse, it was the Cineworld that ended up being sold here (to The Light).

I guess that's why our Cineworld went then. With an ODEON and the then new Showcase more central and a VUE in a nearby town. Plus also being literally over the road from the Picturehouse it must have made more sense to close the bigger of the 2.

I guess that's why our Cineworld went then. With an ODEON and the then new Showcase more central and a VUE in a nearby town. Plus also being literally over the road from the Picturehouse it must have made more sense to close the bigger of the 2.
We have 3 Cineworlds each within about 10 miles of each other. Used to be just 1 big one, but they bought Newcastle's Empire and built a smaller out of town screen in the retail park just south of me.

Outside of that we have 2 Odeons, 1 Vue, 1 Empire, 1 Everyman, 2 independent (Tyneside, and the Star and Shadow).

And these are the following films it's showing: (article link below is posted by Andrew Osmond)

BELLE, directed by Mamoru Hosoda

Birthday Wonderland, directed by Keiichi Hara

Cyber City Oedo 808 (pictured left), directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri

Fireworks, Should We See it from the Side or the Bottom?, directed by Nobuyuki Takeuchi

Josee, The Tiger and the Fish, directed by Kotaro Tamura

Memories, anthology with segments directed by Koji Morimoto, Tensai Okamura and Katsuhiro Otomo

Millennium Actress, directed by Satoshi Kon

Patlabor 2: The Movie (pictured right), directed by Mamoru Oshii

Perfect Blue, directed by Satoshi Kon

A Silent Voice, directed by Naoko Yamada

Tamako Love Story, directed by Naoko Yamada

your name., directed by Makoto Shinkai

Source:

I found this regarding the Scotland Loves Anime Festival. It's now a online festival

It's part of the festival yeah. They have an online side of things and the theatrical side of it in cinema.

Patlabor 2 I'm curious about honestly, I mentioned it in the discord too, but I'm hoping we do get go-ahead for the Edinburgh leg so I can see the first film before watching the second. On top of that, quite a few other titles in here I've seen many a time but would be happy to watch again as well.

I have visited the Cameo just once (as I am usually going crazy at the Fringe when I'm in Edinburgh). It was a special occasion as they were screening From Up on Poppy Hill, so I just had to. Nice cinema from what I recall.

Back