UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Yup, said the same thing a while ago on here and people thought I was crazy šŸ˜‚
They're locking down all corners of the fandom: streaming, physical, cinema, merchandise and distribution the next logical step is the manga arena.
That'll be interesting to see since Kadokawa have invested quite a bit into the overseas market already. They own Yen Press and J-Novel Club and Bookwalker is a major digital manga/LN retailer that is experimenting with exclusives.

That'll be interesting to see since Kadokawa have invested quite a bit into the overseas market already. They own Yen Press and J-Novel Club and Bookwalker is a major digital manga/LN retailer that is experimenting with exclusives.
Sony already has a "corporate alliance" with Kadokawa.
I'm sure the move to the manga and Light Novel department wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

It might be a bit early for Evangelion 4.0 blu ray to be announced (seeing as it was only just announced for Japan) but I think we might see 2.0 and 3.0 in the 12 days.

They always announce a UE during these christmas announcements so I would expect that to be Gunbuster as the US release is due soon.

They always announce a UE during these christmas announcements so I would expect that to be Gunbuster as the US release is due soon.
I'm hoping for a Gunbuster announcement too, but there's always a possibility that their next UE could be another total curveball like Blood-C.

Some more 90s OAVs would be great. The likes of 3x3 Eyes, The Cockpit, Rumik World and Ultimate Teacher have languished in obscurity for decades at this point, which is a real shame.

i doubting it'd ever happen cause i bet mangamationroll still has the unexpired licence but it would be nice if AL could release Naruto on blu-ray

Sony already has a "corporate alliance" with Kadokawa.
I'm sure the move to the manga and Light Novel department wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
The alliance makes sense because all three specialize in different fields. Working together to maximize gains is profitable for all sides. Sony handles the anime side of things. Kadokawa handles the source material from LNs/Manga and the IP itself. CyberAgent handles monetization of the IP via mobile games.

Once you cross over into another sector, there's valid fears that one of the others will lose their seat at the table and eventually be cut out.

I'm hoping for a Gunbuster announcement too, but there's always a possibility that their next UE could be another total curveball like Blood-C.

Some more 90s OAVs would be great. The likes of 3x3 Eyes, The Cockpit, Rumik World and Ultimate Teacher have languished in obscurity for decades at this point, which is a real shame.

I would also love to see various 80s/90s OVAs released here on Blu-ray - 3x3 Eyes, Ah! My Goddess, Dragon Half (though technically that's a very short-lived TV series rather than an OVA), The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Please Save My Earth, Record of Lodoss War, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal and Video Girl Ai, to name a few :)

Ok I suspect that the Edinburgh leg of this years SLA is now screwed

@Hanners
Hanners said on the discord that we know as much as they do for the moment, so I suppose it's up in the air for now.

@Hanners

We know as much as everyone else on this right now, but obviously we're monitoring closely, and will let folks know more once we have any news. I imagine it'll take a bit of time for things to become clearer about the situation in the immediate future.

Hanners said on the discord that we know as much as they do for the moment, so I suppose it's up in the air for now.
Wait, what discord? šŸ˜±

We know as much as everyone else on this right now, but obviously we're monitoring closely, and will let folks know more once we have any news. I imagine it'll take a bit of time for things to become clearer about the situation in the immediate future.
Thanks very much šŸ‘šŸ‘

All the staff have immediately been made redundant and I can tell you that the administrators have already changed the locks on the Aberdeen branch, so I suspect the only hope would be some sort of rescue package....which you hope would have been done before making all the staff redundant, if it was on the cards. A terrible day for the arts in Scotland.

All the staff have immediately been made redundant and I can tell you that the administrators have already changed the locks on the Aberdeen branch, so I suspect the only hope would be some sort of rescue package....which you hope would have been done before making all the staff redundant, if it was on the cards. A terrible day for the arts in Scotland.
Wow, that's brutal.

It might be a bit early for Evangelion 4.0 blu ray to be announced (seeing as it was only just announced for Japan) but I think we might see 2.0 and 3.0 in the 12 days.

Didn't Crunchyroll UK only just recently reissue 2.0 and 3.0? So, I think they might still have the UK license.

@Hanners
Walked past the Belmont Filmhouse in Aberdeen earlier today. Signs up saying to go to your card issuer for a refund. Heartbreaking, Aberdeenā€™s only indie cinema just gone. On a personal note, it was where I really fell in love with film. Hope the council can get it up and running again and that all who are affected find other employment.

Assume itā€™ll be the same in Edinburgh. Was really looking forward to SLA too, hopefully they can come up with a solution.

Attachments

• 24B699DC-7380-4CD1-94E1-B40A521DE3A7.jpeg
    24B699DC-7380-4CD1-94E1-B40A521DE3A7.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 991146DF-C4C7-4881-9A0C-E30B464CA7DB.jpeg
    991146DF-C4C7-4881-9A0C-E30B464CA7DB.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 25

I did wonder what would happen next. My heart goes out to all the staff in the Edinburgh Filmhouse, some I've recognised every single year for the last 12 years going in and out.

As silly a question as it sounds, I'm assuming the best course of action here is to wait for Andrew, yourself and the team to confirm what the next steps are for us before proceeding to claim back the money spent? IE I suspect it's unlikely but if sale of tickets transferred over to something else in the event it happens?

Your booking is with what was Filmhouse so I'd be very surprised if the Scotland Loves Anime team would even be able to legally access booking details to transfer them even if they wanted to

Back