UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Anime Limited getting their hands on One Piece Film: Red feels so bizarre. Like it's great news but I'm curious to see what exactly happened here for them to get their hands on the film, like it feels out of place.

All I can think of are these scenarios:
  1. Crunchyroll only worked with Toei America and not the entire branch as a whole, and either
    1. The UK branch didn't bother to take part
    2. The UK branch didn't release they had to get the license themselves
  2. Crunchyroll UK wasn't interested in getting their hands on the film, despite Manga UK putting a lot of effort in securing the license to parts of the franchise.
  3. Toei Europe approached Anime Limited because they were either:
    1. The better distributor.
    2. Had a much better take on the cinema front with their Cine Matsuri line-up.
    3. More likely to treat the license better.
    4. Interested in what Anime Limited has in store for a collector's set.
  4. Anime Limited wants to build a Goro Taniguchi library for their catalog (he worked on Code Geass, s-CRY-ed, Planetes, Gun x Sword etc.)

My personal speculation is that AL is diversifying to stay active in a market where there's now a massive conglomerate handling home media releases, simulcasts and streaming libraries. If they diversify into handling cinema screenings, concerts (the Dragon Ball one next month), soundtracks and manga, then that's a viable chunk of the anime market space said conglomerate isn't going after.

My personal speculation is that AL is diversifying to stay active in a market where there's now a massive conglomerate handling home media releases, simulcasts and streaming libraries. If they diversify into handling cinema screenings, concerts (the Dragon Ball one next month), soundtracks and manga, then that's a viable chunk of the anime market space said conglomerate isn't going after.
Soundtracks especially make sense. It’s very hard to get a lot of soundtracks over here, barring some releases on iTunes.

The more releases (on vinyl, CD and digital) the better 😄

Actually I just thought of something. What if this is Anime Limited's way of acquiring One Piece Red for cinema just so they can get their hands on the real goods from Toei...

FWp7hNVUsAAj_q3

Anime Limited getting their hands on One Piece Film: Red feels so bizarre. Like it's great news but I'm curious to see what exactly happened here for them to get their hands on the film, like it feels out of place.

All I can think of are these scenarios:
  1. Crunchyroll only worked with Toei America and not the entire branch as a whole, and either
    1. The UK branch didn't bother to take part
    2. The UK branch didn't release they had to get the license themselves
  2. Crunchyroll UK wasn't interested in getting their hands on the film, despite Manga UK putting a lot of effort in securing the license to parts of the franchise.
  3. Toei Europe approached Anime Limitedbecause they were either:
    1. The better distributor.
    2. Had a much better take on the cinema front with their Cine Matsuri line-up.
    3. More likely to treat the license better.
    4. Interested in what Anime Limited has in store for a collector's set.
  4. Anime Limited wants to build a Goro Taniguchi library for their catalog (he worked on Code Geass, s-CRY-ed, Planetes, Gun x Sword etc.)
5th possibility, AL had a couple of million laying around after Crunchyroll pilfered the rights to the new Shinkai so simply out bid them at all costs 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I know they probably can neither confirm or deny if they're going to bring the other Macross series to the UK, but I hope that if they definitely can't or won't they say so. I'll hold off buying the American releases even if it ,takes a couple of years for Anime Ltd to bring us them, I'd just like them to say if they're not. :)

It worried me slightly that they have the only one that has already been through the BBFC (does it mean the fees will be cheaper)? but if that's the huge hit that I expect, they may then be able to licence 7/Frontier/Delta.

I know they probably can neither confirm or deny if they're going to bring the other Macross series to the UK, but I hope that if they definitely can't or won't they say so. I'll hold off buying the American releases even if it ,takes a couple of years for Anime Ltd to bring us them, I'd just like them to say if they're not. :)

It worried me slightly that they have the only one that has already been through the BBFC (does it mean the fees will be cheaper)? but if that's the huge hit that I expect, they may then be able to licence 7/Frontier/Delta.
Macross 2 is also rated from it's VHS release by Manga.

I am actually impressed with how well AL is surviving in a post funi deal. From Eva to Macross and with them picking up soundtracks along with manga now. They really have diversified in the new age of Crunchyroll dominating the anime space. It really shows you that they don't need the Funi/Crunchy License to survive these days. AL has been killing it with some of there new releases even if some take a little longer than expected... The fact that they have gone back and picked up old Manga UK licenses e.g. Cyber City Edo 808, Perfect Blue and now Macross Plus is great to see because its seems that Manga UK cared little about them, which was especially shown with Wicked City not even having the UK dub on the UK release while the US release had both the US dub and UK dub (There could be good reason for why it wasn't included but how come America could get it and we couldn't?).

Now that Manga UK is technically Funi/Crunchy/Manga UK the little soul of Manga UK left is completely gone (imo). It did somewhat seem to be getting better when they had the Code Geass Akito/Death Parade batch of titles come out but its just gotten worse now with DVD only titles when they have blu rays in the US and very lack luster releases. In conclusion its good to see AL license Macross Plus because Manga defiantly weren't going to do it and its good to see them still be able to get license like One Piece Red. Now if only they changed their standard editions to be less ugly, all would be right. 😁

Last edited:
Back