UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Excellent news. Very interesting to see the Netherlands being mentioned in the press release. The OVA was released here on DVD way back in 2002 by A-Film. If they are indeed releasing it here, I hope properly translated Dutch subs are produced instead of just re-using the A-Film DVD subs.

GLASGOW, JULY 01, 2022 – Anime Limited is proud to announce its upcoming release of Macross Plus to Blu-ray for the first time outside of Japan, an anime praised as a “visual tour de force” by Forbes.
Actually, Italian distributor Dynit released it first on Blu-ray outside of Japan back in 2013, although that release only includes the OVA version.

Absolutely wonderful news. First Future Boy Conan, now Macross...what a year AL is having. Hopefully Do You Remember Love? isn't too far behind.
From the wording of Big West's statement back when the plans to release Macross titles internationally were first announced, I don't think SDF tv or DYRL will likely be seeing a release any time soon. They basically mentioned a cut-off year that would exclude those two. I'm sure attempts will be made, but the trademark rights mess between Big West & Harmony Gold around those specific properties still doesn't appear to be ironed out at this time.

And then there's Macross 7, which has been long speculated to have hugely expensive music rights attached to it, for what is a fairly niche title. I'd probably wouldn't get too hopeful about those titles for the time being.

From the wording of Big West's statement back when the plans to release Macross titles internationally were first announced, I don't think SDF tv or DYRL will likely be seeing a release any time soon. They basically mentioned a cut-off year that would exclude those two. I'm sure attempts will be made, but the trademark rights mess between Big West & Harmony Gold around those specific properties still doesn't appear to be ironed out at this time.

And then there's Macross 7, which has been long speculated to have hugely expensive music rights attached to it, for what is a fairly niche title. I'd probably wouldn't get too hopeful about those titles for the time being.
That’s right. SDFM and DYRL seemed unlikely at the time of the original announcement last year, but that was over a year ago so hopefully things have moved on since then. Given that that one of the main drivers behind finally sorting this mess out was to unimpede the live action Robotech movie I wonder if SDFM and DYRL will be held back until after the movie releases so as to not muddy the waters.

Hopefully ATA have more than just M+. Splitting the series between the various distributors probably makes sense for the US but it’s not like Nozomi or Animeigo are going to release here so someone should get them for the UK.

Given Macross is an anime holy grail I have to wonder if the various global licensing partners might unite their finances to overcome obstacles with certain titles? I mean it's taken decades to reach this point so I could see all involved pushing the boat out.

I hope the new Newswire is up on Monday I'm really excited to see what's coming up, also happy about Macross Plus (I really do hope we will get full dub options as well as sub and both the OVA and movie versions) and hoping for a UK release for Frontier as well as the original SDF and DYRL? eventually :)

Great news, wondering what this means for the rest of the franchise. I really would like to get frontier and seven on bluray.

As stoaked as I am to see Macross Plus getting released here I do admit I'm disappointed the US got 4 Macross titles announced and we just have the 1 but ah what can you do, fingers crossed hopefully AL has the others too and is just waiting

As stoaked as I am to see Macross Plus getting released here I do admit I'm disappointed the US got 4 Macross titles announced and we just have the 1 but ah what can you do, fingers crossed hopefully AL has the others too and is just waiting
There is a good chance with Animeigo that the discs will be region free for Macross II and AL will more than likely release Delta and Frontier se te after the Nozi releases.

I’d be really interested to hear what the global strategy is. Is the model something akin to Eva? Something like Gundam? Something else entirely? Excited to hear the details.

I've still got the old Manga Entertainment DVD for Macross Plus, and I watched it recently with my son. I'm not that keen to double dip on a blu-ray copy right now as I can't imagine I'll want to revisit it again that soon. However I would very much like Macross 7 to be released legally in the UK. Please? Pretty please? With bows on top? (I'd also love Delta and Frontier too and would definitely buy them, but I'd kind of like to watch the franchise in chronological/release order.)

Wasn't expecting Anime Limited to get One Piece Film: Red but I'm not complaining, it'll mean it'll get a nice collector's edition when it eventually comes to home video.

Back