UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

The covers for the Blu-ray cases just seem so lazy. It's as if they couldn't be bothered.
I'm no fan of the CE either but it's pretty bad to assume they're lazy. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes but it's known that home video production has to meet the approval of the Japanese companies. Considering Khara's tight grip on the franchise I wouldn't be surprised if this was AL's only option.

Heya! I can answer that for sure - it uses the same video material as the Official 2019 version does so it's not using any old DVD masters :).

Hope this helps,

AP
That's brilliant; thanks for clarifying. I've been wary about things like that ever since the disappointing situation with Criterion's Godzilla set, where Toho refused to allow use of the best quality materials they had available for some of the films. Sometimes there's just no guessing what an IP owner will clamp down on for overseas releases.

More I'm thinking of it, although I'm tempted by the lower price of the CE, I'm going to stick with the UE given its scarcity and I think its got a fair chance of rising in value with time.
I can explain this as I have been writing up these past two articles on this site.

Let's recap:
  • Discs 1-4 cover Neon Genesis Evangelion with the Netflix dub and Netflix translation. The on-disc bonus features in relation to the TV series are also here.
  • Disc 5 covers Evangelion: Death(true)² and The End of Evangelion with the Netflix dub and Netflix translation. The on-disc bonus features in relation to End of Eva are also here.
  • Disc 6 covers the video format version of The End of Evangelion in Japanese with English subtitles. This version is basically very much the same as the original with some tweaks as it's designed to be like watching 2 TV episodes. Evageeks has gone into better detail than I can on that.
  • Discs 7-10 cover Neon Genesis Evangelion with the ADV Films dub and ADV translation from what I have read. The original version of Episodes 21-26 is not included.
  • Disc 11 cover Evangelion: Death(true)² and The End of Evangelion with the Manga Ent. dub and translation.
The collector's edition has all 11 discs, while the standard edition only covers the first 5 discs. I know Dai asked about the Classic dub's master but it should be the same as the Japanese Blu-ray HD master as the dub can sync with them (if they were going to use an upscale or SD-BD then it would have used less discs I reckon).

The only thing that would be missing would be the original version of Episodes 21-26 for the ADV dub and the original version of Evangelion: Death & Rebirth and also Revival of Evangelion that Japan has on their set.
Unless I’m totally misremembering but I thought there was no DC version for 25+26? Just 21-24?

Everyone shouted out the name of that attack on titan dudes name when the funimation logo appeared when watching demon slayer for some reason, I guess its some meme, but apart from that it was alright. I’ve watched a lot of anime at the cinema and it’s usually alright .
It was a worldwide phenomenom. People who did in France were mocked so hard that within a week they all had shut up.
Yeah about 90 cancelled their orders in favour of the cheaper editions, and there's an unspecified amount of users who have ordered both and may cancel one or the other closer to release.
Add to that all those international pre-orders that have to be cancelled one day or another to comply with the contract ;)

More I'm thinking of it, although I'm tempted by the lower price of the CE, I'm going to stick with the UE given its scarcity and I think its got a fair chance of rising in value with time.

Unless I’m totally misremembering but I thought there was no DC version for 25+26? Just 21-24?
The directors cuts of 25-26 are End of Evangelion, being denoted as episodes 25' and 26'.

Looking at that, getting the sinking feeling we aren't getting anymore Gundam this year bar likely an early bird for SEED Destiny ahead of a 2022 release.
What have AL got against 08th MS Team and 0080, two of the most critically acclaimed (and shortest) Gundam series 😭

I ended up importing 08th MS but Nozomi's is such an underwhelming release that I would replace with an AL CE in a heartbeat. 0080 I'm holding on... and on... and on for.

What have AL got against 08th MS Team and 0080, two of the most critically acclaimed (and shortest) Gundam series 😭

I ended up importing 08th MS but Nozomi's is such an underwhelming release that I would replace with an AL CE in a heartbeat. 0080 I'm holding on... and on... and on for.
They'll probably end up re-using Nozomi's 08th MS Team authoring. Nozomi's 08th MS Team release isn't any better than their poorly encoded 0083 apparently (probably also missing the original Japanese tracks like Nozomi's 0083).

0083 and 08th MS Team have better quality Japanese Blu-ray sets with English subs btw.

pretty annoyed that the CE is zavvi exclusive, i don't really care for either of the dubs i just don't want the lowest of the low subtitles from the netflix release, like with videogame releases and GAME i really wish media publishers would stop using zavvi as a form of exclusivity because they can't package properly to save their life and their CS is as useful as a chocolate teapot when it comes to getting replacements which with this probably won't have any

Everyone hates on Zavvi, but they seem to be actively furthering UK blu-ray releases, whether it be exclusives with Anime Limited or Manga, or domestic releases of Disney 4K blu-rays we wouldn’t have otherwise.
As it stands, I have had less products arrive damaged from Zavvi than I have Anime Limited. Though that number is only 1 from Anime Limited. You should all be complaining about your local Royal Mail service damaging your packages, not Zavvi.

They'll probably end up re-using Nozomi's 08th MS Team authoring. Nozomi's 08th MS Team release isn't any better than their poorly encoded 0083 apparently (probably also missing the original Japanese tracks like Nozomi's 0083).

0083 and 08th MS Team have better quality Japanese Blu-ray sets with English subs btw.
I take your point about the authoring - have heard similar elsewhere - but I was thinking more in terms of Nozomi's Gundam releases being disappointingly barebones. We might only get a box and some art card/posters or whatever, but AL's look a lot better on my shelf. Video quality is good enough for me with my modest setup.

Zavvi earned some goodwill by getting my copy of Weathering CE to me undamaged - can't remember how it was packaged, but they certainly haven't always done enough to prevent items being damaged in transit.

Everyone hates on Zavvi, but they seem to be actively furthering UK blu-ray releases, whether it be exclusives with Anime Limited or Manga, or domestic releases of Disney 4K blu-rays we wouldn’t have otherwise.
As it stands, I have had less products arrive damaged from Zavvi than I have Anime Limited. Though that number is only 1 from Anime Limited. You should all be complaining about your local Royal Mail service damaging your packages, not Zavvi.
Fair points and I agree. But it can't be denied they could wrap the packages a bit better.

Well I'm fairly disappointed in that CE and that will only be a back up purchase if the UE isn't available in two weeks time. Not blaming AL but it's the most plain and boring looking CE they've ever released

Back