UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

can you please let us know which video master is being used for the discs containing the classic ADV dub? Is it the same HD master as the official dub discs, or an upscale from an old DVD master?
Given that the Standard Edition contains only the five "main" Blu-ray discs, and the UE and CE 11 discs, that's a difference of a whole six discs. Those six discs apparently contain only the 26-episode series, Death(true)² and EoE in their "classic" ADV form, so here's the question:

Do we know for sure that the extra six discs are actually Blu-rays?
The product description only ever makes reference to these as "discs" generally.

The part I can't quite piece together, though, is how the Video Version of EoE can be absent from the SE. Is that somehow contained on one of the "ADV" discs? 🤔

Last edited:
There are 170 Ultimate Evangelion editions left in the store ... About 80 users canceled their orders?
Yeah about 90 cancelled their orders in favour of the cheaper editions, and there's an unspecified amount of users who have ordered both and may cancel one or the other closer to release.

Do we know for sure that the extra six discs are actually Blu-rays? The product description only ever makes reference to these as "discs" generally.
Well they're all BDs in the pack shot so I'd think so. I don't think they're dodgy enough not to make it clear if they were DVDs tbh, I'd also like to think if the ADV dub discs were from a different, lesser master then they'd say so as it'd be incredible dodgy not to make that clear from the start.

Given that the Standard Edition contains only the five "main" Blu-ray discs, and the UE and CE 11 discs, that's a difference of a whole six discs. Those six discs apparently contain only the 26-episode series, Death(true)² and EoE in their "classic" ADV form, so here's the question:

Do we know for sure that the extra six discs are actually Blu-rays? The product description only ever makes reference to these as "discs" generally.

The part I can't quite piece together, though, is how the Video Version of EoE can be absent from the SE. Is that somehow contained on one of the "ADV" discs? 🤔
I can explain this as I have been writing up these past two articles on this site.

Let's recap:
  • Discs 1-4 cover Neon Genesis Evangelion with the Netflix dub and Netflix translation. The on-disc bonus features in relation to the TV series are also here.
  • Disc 5 covers Evangelion: Death(true)² and The End of Evangelion with the Netflix dub and Netflix translation. The on-disc bonus features in relation to End of Eva are also here.
  • Disc 6 covers the video format version of The End of Evangelion in Japanese with English subtitles. This version is basically very much the same as the original with some tweaks as it's designed to be like watching 2 TV episodes. Evageeks has gone into better detail than I can on that.
  • Discs 7-10 cover Neon Genesis Evangelion with the ADV Films dub and ADV translation from what I have read. The original version of Episodes 21-26 is not included.
  • Disc 11 cover Evangelion: Death(true)² and The End of Evangelion with the Manga Ent. dub and translation.
The collector's edition has all 11 discs, while the standard edition only covers the first 5 discs. I know Dai asked about the Classic dub's master but it should be the same as the Japanese Blu-ray HD master as the dub can sync with them (if they were going to use an upscale or SD-BD then it would have used less discs I reckon).

The only thing that would be missing would be the original version of Episodes 21-24 for the ADV dub (only the ADV-redub Director's Cut version of the episodes will be used) and the original version of Evangelion: Death & Rebirth and also Revival of Evangelion that Japan has on their set.

Last edited:
I managed to order the ultimate edition on Friday and I am stay with this order. I want the best release. I wonder in the edition comparison with information about 8 cards. The quantity is the same but they are completely different.

@anime_andrew Now that all the different versions of the Evangelion set have been announced, can you please let us know which video master is being used for the discs containing the classic ADV dub? Is it the same HD master as the official dub discs, or an upscale from an old DVD master? Quite a few of us on here have pre-ordered the ultimate edition (myself included), and I'm concerned that I don't know exactly what I've bought.

Heya! I can answer that for sure - it uses the same video material as the Official 2019 version does so it's not using any old DVD masters :).

Hope this helps,

AP

I can explain this as I have been writing up these past two articles on this site.

Let's recap:
  • Discs 1-4 cover Neon Genesis Evangelion with the Netflix dub and Netflix translation. The on-disc bonus features in relation to the TV series are also here.
  • Disc 5 covers Evangelion: Death(true)² and The End of Evangelion with the Netflix dub and Netflix translation. The on-disc bonus features in relation to End of Eva are also here.
  • Disc 6 covers the video format version of The End of Evangelion in Japanese with English subtitles. This version is basically very much the same as the original with some tweaks as it's designed to be like watching 2 TV episodes. Evageeks has gone into better detail than I can on that.
  • Discs 7-10 cover Neon Genesis Evangelion with the ADV Films dub and ADV translation from what I have read. The original version of Episodes 21-26 is not included.
  • Disc 11 cover Evangelion: Death(true)² and The End of Evangelion with the Manga Ent. dub and translation.
The collector's edition has all 11 discs, while the standard edition only covers the first 5 discs. I know Dai asked about the Classic dub's master but it should be the same as the Japanese Blu-ray HD master as the dub can sync with them (if they were going to use an upscale or SD-BD then it would have used less discs I reckon).

The only thing that would be missing would be the original version of Episodes 21-26 for the ADV dub and the original version of Evangelion: Death & Rebirth and also Revival of Evangelion that Japan has on their set.

The description on Zavvi says that the collectors edition contains,
  • Classic Dub & Subtitles: Episodes 1-26, Evangelion: Death (True)2 And The End Of Evangelion
But you're saying that it doesn't include episodes 21-26. I'm kinda confused, I've only watched Evangelion once, years ago when I was a kid, so I'm not very knowledgeable able the show but I really want to watch it again with the dub that I saw back then on the Sci-fi channel. Does this include that dub and if it does, does it include all of it or only the first 20 episodes? I'd really appreciate the help.

• Classic Dub & Subtitles: Episodes 1-26, Evangelion: Death (True)2 And The End Of Evangelion
But you're saying that it doesn't include episodes 21-26. I'm kinda confused, I've only watched Evangelion once, years ago when I was a kid, so I'm not very knowledgeable able the show but I really want to watch it again with the dub that I saw back then on the Sci-fi channel. Does this include that dub and if it does, does it include all of it or only the first 20 episodes? I'd really appreciate the help.
There are original tv broadcast versions and directors cut versions of 21 onwards. This release only has the directors cut I believe

It doesn't include the original home video version of those episodes as they were not remastered for the blu ray release, only the directors cut versions are available in HD.

I should have made this part a bit clearer, basically we have two versions for the final episodes of the TV series. The original and a director's cut. The ADV release back in the day had both versions on the disc and were even re-dubbed so there's different voice actors for some characters.

The UK Blu-ray release will only cover the Director's Cut version of those episodes, which means the original ADV dub for the original version will pretty much remain lost at this point (as the director's cut will use the ADV director's cut dub instead).

Back