UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

In case some folks missed it, it seems Anime Limited have acquired Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. The Lupin the IIIrd films (Jigen's Gravestone, Goemon's Blood Spray & Fujiko's Lie) "would be the most logical next step after The Woman Called Fujiko Mine".

Who was that mysterious and handsom person who asked the question I wonder :p

So far they just mentioned Season 1 (aka Set 1). In terms of disc authoring, there's two factors to this:
  1. Viz titles I have seen often get re-authored for Region B, sometimes the Dub extras would get omitted.
  2. The Viz Blu-rays are controversial due to having a "dropped framerate" issue that has been occurring throughout all of the sets released so far. Seems to be an issue of making the series 1080p rather than 1080i (the exact reason is all over the place on the Blu-ray forum thread so if Mangaranga, Prof Who or Scavenger ever sees this, a TL;DR would help).
Thanks for the reminder on that! It’ll be interesting to see how the AL discs turn out.

So far they just mentioned Season 1 (aka Set 1). In terms of disc authoring, there's two factors to this:
  1. Viz titles I have seen often get re-authored for Region B, sometimes the Dub extras would get omitted.
  2. The Viz Blu-rays are controversial due to having a "dropped framerate" issue that has been occurring throughout all of the sets released so far. Seems to be an issue of making the series 1080p rather than 1080i (the exact reason is all over the place on the Blu-ray forum thread so if Mangaranga, Prof Who or Scavenger ever sees this, a TL;DR would help).
The materials are in 1080i 29.97fps with shots that are telecined 23.976fps and 29.97fps (there are possibly also some true 59.94i shots, but I'm not sure). A conversion to 1080p 23.976fps will always damage the shots that are animated in 29.97fps, but not even the 23.976fps were spared from damage here.

Seems like Viz improperly deinterlaced the video to 1080p 29.97fps as evidenced by the combing artifacts and then improperly decimated the video to 1080p 23.976fps. According to Mangaranga the video drops a frame every 40 frames and then repeats a frame shortly after, making the video constantly stutter every 1 or 2 seconds.

Colors are also wrong because of incorrect color space conversions.

Thrice upon a time
Isn't there a theory that
the manga isn't a straight adaptation, but rather the world looping back on itself and thus the rebuild films would be another loop hence Thrice Upon a Time.
I haven't seen any of the rebuild films yet as the licence was all over the place and thus no consistent releases available. Will have to wait till a complete collection.

Looking forward to a number of the announced titles; Josee, the Tiger and the Fish looks amazing. I'm not surprised that Your Name is getting a UHD release, but it's good to see that AL are giving some thought to their back catalog. It gives me hope that we can get 4K UHD upgrades of the Mobile Suit Gundam Trilogy and Char's Counterattack sooner rather than later...!

I was also very pleased to hear that they'd be interested in acquiring Future Boy Conan. Between that and the upcoming Italian release (the first outside of Japan in the HD era), I'm finally feeling optimistic about the prospects for a local release here even if it's still a few years off.

Going to put my Cloud Matsuri thoughts here in case anyone is interested and AL want the feedback. @Hanners @Jeremy Graves

Some overall thoughts: This Cloud Matsuri was a big step up from last time. The breadth of content was amazing and more akin to a live con. I really liked the sense of anime history we got this time.

Favourite panel: Mike's Dubs that time forgot panel. This panel was so much fun. Funny, informative, interesting, entertaining. Definitely hope he comes back for future CMs.

Day 1 review

Pitch your poison: a fun little start to the con. Some of the choices felt a little safe and obvious. For what it's worth my 3 picks would have been Noein, Zombie Land Saga and Darker Than Black.

UK Anime Showdown: another fun edition of the Showdown with some controversial moments!

All the Anime: Always fun to here from Jeremy and Andy and wouldnt be a con experience without them.

Cosplay Armour Making: really good panel this. Informative and clear. And a little different to everything else on offer.

Crunchyroll Onyx Equinox: a significant improvement on crunchyrolls previous CM offering.

Live Drawing: a fun and relaxed panel. Wouldve been nice if video of Craig and Kat couldve been embedded into the corners of the screen.

Cyber City Oedo: very good documentary. I was intrigued to watch this before but now I'm much more excited for it. Insightful and a great way to remember a piece of anime UK history.

Uzumaki: Uzumaki is a cracking read and this was a lit of fun and I'm pretty hype for this show.

Dubs that Time Forgot: As I said, hands down my fave panel of the weekend.

Day 2 review

Toonami
This was a fun start to day 2 and nice to hear peoples stories.

Screen Anime
Could listen to JC talk all day. Really excited for these films.

J-novel
Nice little insight into their company. And discovered that their doing collectors editions of FMP so have placed an order for the first one.

Gundam Seed
These anime guest of honor type panels are great and this was a lot of fun. Havent seen Seed yet but do have it on order.

Figurama
Wow their figures are off the chain. Very impressive and nice to see a company like this be really passionate about what they do.

Crunchyroll So I'm a Spider So What
Probably the weakest panel for me. The show does intrigue me but I didnt enjoy the interview style. It felt so fake.

All the Anime
Always a pleasure to hear from Andrew himself. I shall be getting the vinyls and the sneaky Fujiko Mine announcement is very exciting.

Utena
Really enjoyed this one. Its a cracking show and this was a real treat of a panel.

I also feel the interaction level was nicely improved from last time. The live Q&A segments were really good to see and the live chat was generally entertaining all day long. Another thing I like about the online con format is we get more anime guest of honour type panels which I really enjoy.

Anyway in summary thank you AL and everyone for another great weekend. The level, type and variety of panels was great to see.

Edited to include Oedo and Uzumaki thoughts now I've caught up.

Last edited:
In case some folks missed it, it seems Anime Limited have acquired Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. The Lupin the IIIrd films (Jigen's Gravestone, Goemon's Blood Spray & Fujiko's Lie) "would be the most logical next step after The Woman Called Fujiko Mine".
As a personal big fan of Lupin's adventures I wholeheartedly approve of this.

I may be wrong on this, but I think they removed the 3 day free trial for Scotland Loves Anime.
Oof. Wanted to at least catch the Love Live! Sunshine film before it changes and see what the service is like. Guess I can just wait and see if AL will release it. If they don't then at least the Japanese sets go pretty cheap these days

Can finally get to a computer to actual put a response in this page so I may be late to the party.

Nice to see some of the release dates for the Christmas sale items. That voucher code too is a nice surprise.
As for new releases, In/Spectre is a cool choice to see picked up. That was a Crunchyroll original so part of me had little hope of seeing any of those titles get physical releases. Because, well, Crunchyroll likely wanting to use them the way Netflix does as a way of making them only accessible at one place.

Some of those films look interesting too. Violet Evergarden is definitely one I'll have to catch after having gotten the main series, and I'll probably give Love Me, Love Me Not a try.

As for new releases, In/Spectre is a cool choice to see picked up. That was a Crunchyroll original so part of me had little hope of seeing any of those titles get physical releases. Because, well, Crunchyroll likely wanting to use them the way Netflix does as a way of making them only accessible at one place.
I doubt that was Crunchyroll's intention here as they've likely just had a lot of trouble since the Funimation partnership ended. Their partnership with Sentai is certainly promising and Discotek has already released one of their co-productions so it's not like they want to be digital only.

Even Netflix doesn't seem intent on being digital only as several of their originals have seen a home video release through various companies.

I doubt that was Crunchyroll's intention here as they've likely just had a lot of trouble since the Funimation partnership ended. Their partnership with Sentai is certainly promising and Discotek has already released one of their co-productions so it's not like they want to be digital only.

Even Netflix doesn't seem intent on being digital only as several of their originals have seen a home video release through various companies.
AL has said they get Netflix’s stuff through the JP licensors so B was from IG for example.

AL has said they get Netflix’s stuff through the JP licensors so B was from IG for example.
Thats makes sense of course. When Kakegurui was mentioned, the dub was brought up as an issue for delay in its release window. Interesting. Probably not a union thing based on when the Kakegurui dub came out and Violet Evergarden seems all good.

What does interest me is when Discotek gets round to it (potentially atm and AL is rather cool on the prospect), what will happen with the Konosuba movie as it hasn't been dubbed as of yet.

Back