UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Really hyped for Penguindrum blu-ray CE, although other than the subs isn't the sentai release rather poor in general?
1080i I think?

I still haven't actually watched the disks myself so I'm only going by the comments at the time, but from what I can remember the quality of the episodes themselves were serviceable, but I do recall Justin Sevakis mentioning on an old ANNcast episode that the extras (on disk two?) had some of the worst encoding he had ever seen. He was not happy with those disks.

Of course the biggest sticking point was Steven Fosters dub and the subsequent subtitles, which were heavily based on his script. Granted, it's nowhere near his most extreme effort (I mean it's certainly no Ghost Stories), but if you know the man's output with many of adv's/sentai's older shows, you'll be aware of his habit of adapting the source material to the point of being unrecognisable, often in favour of lame jokes and (even for the time) outdated meme humour.

Again, he largely reigns it in for Penguindrum, but for a show like that, which has the density of a collapsed star, and relies heavily on nuance and subtly, it was an extremely ill-advised move that pointed to a lack of understanding or respect towards the work.

Personally I'm of the opinion that any collector's edition of Penguindrum should come with a copy of Haruki Murakami's Underground/The Place That Was Promised.

Ok, that will never actually happen, but holy crap, was that book incredibly helpful for examining the themes and empathy on display in the show during my rewatch. Ikuhara was clearly pulling heavily from it.

Holy **** 5 cuts? The creators must be increadibly fickle
It was more an issue of budget most of the time. Death and Rebirth was the first version featuring the first 25 minutes of EoE. There was another slightly extended version with different music. End of Evangelion eventually got released but even then there were slight differences. Death received an edit called Death(true) which aired on TV as a recap with the final version Death(True)2 being shown before the final version of End of Evangelion.

But yeah it sure sounds complicated lol

It was more an issue of budget most of the time. Death and Rebirth was the first version featuring the first 25 minutes of EoE. There was another slightly extended version with different music. End of Evangelion eventually got released but even then there were slight differences. Death received an edit called Death(true) which aired on TV as a recap with the final version Death(True)2 being shown before the final version of End of Evangelion.

But yeah it sure sounds complicated lol

Yeah that's very complicated. And I got laughed at last time I asked what the watching order for Eva is lol.

Yeah that's very complicated. And I got laughed at last time I asked what the watching order for Eva is lol.
Not really surprising. After all, Eva fans have spent the last 25 years arguing who best girl is in a cast of children and terrible people.

But to clear confusion you can just watch the series and then End of Evangelion. Death(true)2 is more of an extra really but it serves as a pretty interesting recap before EoE. The Rebuild films are an alternative version of the series so they can just be watched on their own.

Thrice upon a time doesn’t suggest the rebuilds will standalone for much longer.
Also I think people talk about about the meaning of Evangelion rather than best girl best girls are more of a joke regarding it, because Rei created the quiet archetype.

I know about Death and Rebirth's various edits, but are there multiple cuts of End of Evangelion too? Looking forward to seeing it on the big screen. It's a phenomenal film.

Not really surprising. After all, Eva fans have spent the last 25 years arguing who best girl is in a cast of children and terrible people.

But to clear confusion you can just watch the series and then End of Evangelion. Death(true)2 is more of an extra really but it serves as a pretty interesting recap before EoE. The Rebuild films are an alternative version of the series so they can just be watched on their own.

Thanks, that is really helpful as I never got an answer.

Thrice upon a time doesn’t suggest the rebuilds will standalone for much longer.
Also I think people talk about about the meaning of Evangelion rather than best girl best girls are more of a joke regarding it, because Rei created the quiet archetype.
Wait, when did this film get titled "Thrice upon a Time"? It took me long enough to start calling it 3.0 + 1.0 instead of 4.0.

Back