UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

"Mum, can we get Gundam NT?"
"No, we have it at home already."
Gundam NT at home:
AhSHQkW.jpg

Mobile Suit Gundam NT and Violet Evergarden have been pushed back to 11th January 2021.

Now don't be alarmed, as this could just be another instance where the retailers outside of the AL shop will be getting the stock later.
Still says 30th November on alltheanime.com for Violet Evergarden, if it does apply to the early bird orders from AL themselves I'm probably gonna have to cancel, I just know An Post are waiting gleefully for January 1st to apply VAT to packages from the UK, along with their bs "collection" fee...

I'm guessing The Promised Neverland is likely to miss the 14th December release too, another likely cancellation.

Apparently had my wires crossed because I've just seen the confirmation we aren't getting the SEED HD TV cut.

Hmmmmmm.

I'm mixed on this. On one hand, as far as I'm aware the TV cut is just an unfinished edit made up of initial new animation and stuff from the original show and compilation movies. In that respect the home video masters are the final product.

At the same time, in an archivist sense I think it's great that Nozomi are taking an error and turning it into a bonus for fans. I'm sure there's a multitude of business reasons we aren't getting them and them being on the table was largely a mistake anyway, but it does raise the continuing wound of how truncated the UK Gundam releases are compared to US ones. When masters are being shared this really shouldn't be the case. We can't get this but we can get a release of IBO that is the US one right down to autoplay adverts for titles not even released here?

I think the litmus test to determine if it is financially viable is 'is this something people were asking for prior to the current situation?' I don't think anyone was asking for the broadcast cut of the HD remaster and I doubt many who purchase the set would ever choose to watch it over and above the home video edit. I appreciate an archival overview of different cuts/versions, but it's not always necessary. Take Star Wars for instance, I'd like the most recent cuts and the original theatrical versions - I don't need every permutation that's been on VHS/DVD/Blu-Ray over the years. If you can do that in a cost-effective version for everyone, say Blade Runner, then fair enough, but there's no point in throwing good cash after bad in this case.

Apparently had my wires crossed because I've just seen the confirmation we aren't getting the SEED HD TV cut.

Hmmmmmm.

I'm mixed on this. On one hand, as far as I'm aware the TV cut is just an unfinished edit made up of initial new animation and stuff from the original show and compilation movies. In that respect the home video masters are the final product.

At the same time, in an archivist sense I think it's great that Nozomi are taking an error and turning it into a bonus for fans. I'm sure there's a multitude of business reasons we aren't getting them and them being on the table was largely a mistake anyway, but it does raise the continuing wound of how truncated the UK Gundam releases are compared to US ones. When masters are being shared this really shouldn't be the case. We can't get this but we can get a release of IBO that is the US one right down to autoplay adverts for titles not even released here?

I wouldn't normally chime in on this kind of point as everyone's entitled to their feelings on the topic - however I really want to be clear about the commercial implications here. When I said it's one or the other - you have to keep in mind that this scale of release is hugely expensive due to disc quantity alone. To give you some context here - to add the incorrect discs in would cost the equivalent of needing to move the SRP up by at least £79.99 minimum to accommodate it.

This would mean one of:
  • Cancelling and refunding all the pre-orders already and listing at a higher EB price again.

• Asking everyone to increase their spend by a considerable amount given the price the prdouct is already set at.

• Decreasing the income from the EB internally from £119.99 inc VAT to £40 inc VAT. Meaning that when you factor in costs like design time, authoring and material access the product basically is 0 income for Anime Ltd or the Licensor.
Frankly none of these options are appealing and my heart really goes out to TRSI as the reality is it's going to cost a lot to replace these discs and they're doing it out of pocket as their run has already been done / gone out, Anime Ltd's has thankfully not yet (much later than the news had come out and the discs would have been underway though!) The UK market is a fraction of the size of the US one so we simply cannot afford to provide a set of discs that will be viewed by the majority of fans as inferior.

I appreciate it's not what you want to hear probably there, but these financial considerations are all the more important during these unprecedentedly challenging times. If there's sufficient demand to justify it - we can always look with Sunrise's approval to do a release of it later at an added cost but I don't see enough demand for that really (unless folks prove me wrong now!)

Best,

Andrew

Mobile Suit Gundam NT and Violet Evergarden have been pushed back to 11th January 2021.

Now don't be alarmed, as this could just be another instance where the retailers outside of the AL shop will be getting the stock later.

This is exactly right - both Violet and NT will ship in December I believe. Pushing hard for Violet to ship before Christmas (still likely to - but either way will ship in December).

Retail dates had to shift though as Christmas and New Year mess around with when stock gets pulled for new releases basically (an incredibly boring but logistically important consideration that makes a chunk of time effectively a no-man's land for a lot of new releases).

Best,

AP

Yeah, I mean frankly I don't really know why I'm getting the original Seed and the HD version together, I definitely don't need a slightly worse HD version along with them!

I wouldn't normally chime in on this kind of point as everyone's entitled to their feelings on the topic - however I really want to be clear about the commercial implications here. When I said it's one or the other - you have to keep in mind that this scale of release is hugely expensive due to disc quantity alone. To give you some context here - to add the incorrect discs in would cost the equivalent of needing to move the SRP up by at least £79.99 minimum to accommodate it.

This would mean one of:
  • Cancelling and refunding all the pre-orders already and listing at a higher EB price again.

• Asking everyone to increase their spend by a considerable amount given the price the prdouct is already set at.

• Decreasing the income from the EB internally from £119.99 inc VAT to £40 inc VAT. Meaning that when you factor in costs like design time, authoring and material access the product basically is 0 income for Anime Ltd or the Licensor.
Frankly none of these options are appealing and my heart really goes out to TRSI as the reality is it's going to cost a lot to replace these discs and they're doing it out of pocket as their run has already been done / gone out, Anime Ltd's has thankfully not yet (much later than the news had come out and the discs would have been underway though!) The UK market is a fraction of the size of the US one so we simply cannot afford to provide a set of discs that will be viewed by the majority of fans as inferior.

I appreciate it's not what you want to hear probably there, but these financial considerations are all the more important during these unprecedentedly challenging times. If there's sufficient demand to justify it - we can always look with Sunrise's approval to do a release of it later at an added cost but I don't see enough demand for that really (unless folks prove me wrong now!)

Best,

Andrew
First of all, thank you for the response.

It's worth remembering that I'm almost always wearing 2 hats when discussing this specific franchise. One is pragmatic and sensible whilst the other is being a fanboy. The former is my default but the latter will often theoretically wonder "But why not?"

As others have pointed out this set was not advertised as having the HD TV cut. In fact many of us went "Oh no" when it emerged that was what had been unknowingly used and I appreciate Nozomi are simply rolling with it. It's not like when I have this set in hand I'll sigh with dejection and say "But it doesn't have the unfinished version, so who cares?"

As a fan specifically the idea of archiving all variations is appealing to me but I'm not going to die on that hill over this. You could even argue I'd likely never even watch it, just want it for archives sake. I admit it crosses into my annoyance with genuinely planned stuff that didn't make it from Nozomi to AL releases but I wouldn't dream of demanding your business take a hit to provide this one.

This is exactly right - both Violet and NT will ship in December I believe. Pushing hard for Violet to ship before Christmas (still likely to - but either way will ship in December).
Argh. I should've known it was too good to be true when Violet Evergarden wasn't listed with the other delays a couple of weeks ago. Now there's a chance it might not even make Christmas, which is inconvenient when it's supposed to be a gift.

As is Weathering With You DE. Please let us know if this is going to suffer a similar fate as at least I have the option of the CE instead. The DE is still down as 30th November on your site (and at Zavvi), but then so is VE at the time of this post.

I understand this must be as frustrating for you as it is for us 😫

As is Weathering With You DE. Please let us know if this is going to suffer a similar fate as at least I have the option of the CE instead. The DE is still down as 30th November on your site (and at Zavvi), but then so is VE at the time of this post.

WWY Deluxe - both the Zavvi and the AL versions should be shipping in the near future (edit, near is more accurate) - definitely well in advance of Christmas on that one!

Violet - Totally hear that and am as frustrated - like I say, all stock for our shop on that one am pushing hard for pre-Christmas delivery and with a lot of fingers crossed that should happen! Extremely sorry for any extra stress given the gift factor there too.

Andrew

WWY Deluxe - both the Zavvi and the AL versions should be shipping in the near future (edit, near is more accurate) - definitely well in advance of Christmas on that one!

Violet - Totally hear that and am as frustrated - like I say, all stock for our shop on that one am pushing hard for pre-Christmas delivery and with a lot of fingers crossed that should happen! Extremely sorry for any extra stress given the gift factor there too.

Andrew
just-when-i-thought-i-was-out-they-pull-me-back-in.jpg

I'm pretty sure anybody actually wanting the inferior version will be able to pick one up off ebay as loads of people who bought the US version won't actually want 3 copies of the same show!

Back