UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

For me the biggest news is that soon I'll be able to replace my Journey to Agartha dvd with a blu ray.

The deluxe edition of WWY looks nice too.

A DX one and it's still a steelbook?
Is UK turning into a steelbook lovers country like Germany?
(I don't particular like them...)

5cm will be an interesting one for the extras, as I already have the French/German Kaze BD release. (Which is a very Spartan standard release packaging wise.) And slightly curious on the English dub.

Probably go for the steelbook, though it's a bit underwhelming. £69.99 for Deluxe really is near the absolute limit to what I would pay for a single movie. 5CM is more appealing anyways, so hope that one turns up alright.

A better pic of the deluxe box from AL france (pre orders starting today) and a mention of what's on the bonus Blu ray. 3hrs of extras including a documentary on production...
440-4K-ANI0587-BRANI9425_SLIPCASE-COLLECTOR_WWY_large.png

Also: limited to 250!!!

20200717_121502.jpg
Obvs UK could be different

Sol Levante is more or less just a tech demo. Outside CGI stuff, the likelihood of a native 4K full-length anime film or (even more unlikely) show turning up within the near future is very slim.

Not too bothered about the UE as I didn't like the film quite as much as YN and don't have a 4K player, but the CE is poor compared to the Promare one which went for the same EB price. And a bloomin' steelbook! I have zero steelbooks in my collection, but having said that I'll probably still go for it for the DVD to send to my little sister when I send her the Shinkai films.

Gsfv7fX.jpg

I would be tempted to get the 4K UHD out of curiosity and Shinkai completism if it wasn't part of a relatively expensive set...but I didn't think Weathering With You was particularly good; I might pick it up cheap but otherwise I'll probably pass. Great news that 5 centimetres per second has been rescued, I still think it's Shinkai's best work and one of the best animated films of the century thus far. An extraordinarily moving, perfectly structured piece. I imagine AL will just give it a standard Blu-Ray like it got from Manga, but I'd be in the market for a collector's edition set of that one - maybe with Shinkai's novelisation or all the draft short stories that he wrote.

I didn't think much of Journey to Agartha (which hopefully AL will revert to the more poetic title Children Who Chase Lost Voices) at time of release, but I've only seen it that one time and I've forgotten mostly everything about it other than it felt like Shinkai trying to be Miyazaki. I'll get that one too.

It will be, there is no native 4k Anime

Except from all the pre-digital anime.

Back