UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Now that we have the GOAT that is Planetes, if AL could just get Sound of the Sky and that'd be the old Beez licenses I want rescued bingo.
A part of me interested in Witch Hunter Robin, but it's been so long that I can't remember if that show is any good or not.

But yes, a Sound of the Sky blu-ray would be incredible.

I hope AL can get all the dubs, sub tracks and ADV extras but wouldn’t be shocked if Khara blocks all those also I bet the OP won’t say Gainax on our version.

I hope AL can get all the dubs, sub tracks and ADV extras but wouldn’t be shocked if Khara blocks all those.

I hope that all of the extras for Planetes can be sourced. The original Bandai release had some two disc releases for the first three volumes that had some great NASA material that was dropped for the collected release which I got.

Great to see AL getting Eva (does Anno now own every AL members first born?) Also really surprised by Demon Slayer as I thought that was a dead cert for Manga (someone please bring that up at the Andrew+Jerome panel!) Too bad the one thing Manga beats AL on is release time frame as we'd have gotten it this year then...
People saying they expect a Utena situation with Eva I think is a bit weird. Theres no way this isn't getting a massive print run! Double, triple or even quadruple that of the Utena set. It's not just the UK that'll be buying this set. Speaking of, who's got it in the US? Place your bets now!

Damn, huge. Please make more than 4 units for Eva. I'll also take Planetes and Demon Slayer.

I hope they go with a "less is more" presentation. I found Bebop to be terribly overdone.

Will there be another Early Bird for IBO part 2 closer to release? Or only this weekend one? (Assuming it doesn't sell out)

Great to see AL getting Eva (does Anno now own every AL members first born?) Also really surprised by Demon Slayer as I thought that was a dead cert for Manga (someone please bring that up at the Andrew+Jerome panel!) Too bad the one thing Manga beats AL on is release time frame as we'd have gotten it this year then...
People saying they expect a Utena situation with Eva I think is a bit weird. Theres no way this isn't getting a massive print run! Double, triple or even quadruple that of the Utena set. It's not just the UK that'll be buying this set. Speaking of, who's got it in the US? Place your bets now!
The only reason Manga have been so quick recently is due to duplication of the US sets and not having to negotiate a sublicense for Funimation stuff. Their non Funimation licences are just as far behind as everyone else.

There's some huge caveats with that Eva release but for now I'm pretty pleased. I guess we'll see what happens with the ADV dub situation or the Netflix sub tracks. I'm not hugely optimistic given the power and pedantry of both Khara and Netflix, but anything is possible.

I also have concerns over the end price point. Knowing how high licencing costs were rumoured to be, not to mention it being ultimate ed, I'm expecting at the very least we'll be seeing a repeat of the Utena price situation, most likely higher. I could easily see Eva going for upwards of £200, and while it's one of the few show's I'd actually give some thought to paying that amount for, if the notice is as short and the artificial demand as prominent as it was for Utena, that situation will largely be taken out of my hand. I hope they figure out a better balance between keeping costs sensible while also not making stocks so low that we see another mad rush to snap up available sets. Hopefully the size of the property allows for greater leeway.

Also, it's pretty cool to see Planetes being announced, not to mention updated news of Violet Evergarden and Bartender. Demon Slayer will also be a popular acquisition. Hats of AL, this has probably been their strongest license announcement panel in 3-4 years.

The only reason Manga have been so quick recently is due to duplication of the US sets and not having to negotiate a sublicense for Funimation stuff. Their non Funimation licences are just as far behind as everyone else.
Well, the assumption was that Manga UK would get Demon Slayer due to Aniplex being part of the Sony family, and Funimation having the Standard Definition releases in the US. So, how Aniplex licenses fit into that Sony conglomerate, is very interesting to slowly figure out...

Well, the assumption was that Manga UK would get Demon Slayer due to Aniplex being part of the Sony family, and Funimation having the Standard Definition releases in the US. So, how Aniplex licenses fit into that Sony conglomerate, is very interesting to slowly figure out...
Aniplex is under a different umbrella of Sony, Music as opposed to Pictures Television, so licencing is potentially being handled differently.

Tbh though AL probably got the license for this before the current distribution situation between Funimation/Manga and Aniplex began.

Back