UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

To be fair to AL they are openly honest about this not being a streaming service they view it as a cinema festival replacement service but again that all lives and dies on its titles, like it will be interesting to see when Weathering with you goes on it as JP BD is this week

To be fair to AL they are openly honest about this not being a streaming service they view it as a cinema festival replacement service but again that all lives and dies on its titles, like it will be interesting to see when Weathering with you goes on it as JP BD is this week

True and the price is good too, plus the promised discounts for their website is a bonus

True and the price is good too, plus the promised discounts for their website is a bonus
Price is only good for UK consumers due to getting charged VAT twice in Ireland.

Under EU law you are only supposed to pay the VAT of your local country on purchases of goods and services between EU states, not VAT in both the country of origin and the destination country. This law is only really followed by large multinational companies though, most of the time you get charged the VAT of the origin country.

Current Irish price is just over £50.

Price is only good for UK consumers due to getting charged VAT twice in Ireland.

Under EU law you are only supposed to pay the VAT of your local country on purchases of goods and services between EU states, not VAT in both the country of origin and the destination country. This law is only really followed by large multinational companies though, most of the time you get charged the VAT of the origin country.

Ah right forgot about that issue, I wonder if that's intentional or a glitch in the system

Ah right forgot about that issue, I wonder if that's intentional or a glitch in the system
I'd say it is on Vimeo's end.
Most likely AL set the price as £39.98 and the breakdown between VAT and ALs take is being handled by the back end.
On the Irish side this isn't happening and VAT is being applied to the £39.98 charge instead of the ex VAT price of £33.32.

Current Irish price is just over £50.

It's a glitch - bit not the one you think it is I am afraid! It's not a VAT issue but a currency exchange one (I can see exactly why you'd think otherwise because I assumed the same at first) but no, it's a mad one. Tweaked it and it should be more in-line now but give me a prod if not there!

Very best,

AP

It's a glitch - bit not the one you think it is I am afraid! It's not a VAT issue but a currency exchange one (I can see exactly why you'd think otherwise because I assumed the same at first) but no, it's a mad one. Tweaked it and it should be more in-line now but give me a prod if not there!

Very best,

AP
Price has gone down to €46.75 which is now in line with the UK price.

Surprised it ended up being an extremely skewed currency conversion as the price difference matched the UK VAT rate.

@anime_andrew Is there any news on what the store discounts will be in regards to the AL store? I kinda want to know more about that before I consider the membership (I've already seen all four films though I might rewatch PROMARE after what happened back in November (long story), but I might check out Wolf's Rain).

Remembering the last time Anime Limited had a streaming site I'm wary of doing a full year

Does the site seem to be better to find video's / Video's all there?

Whats the video quality like?

Guess if I purchase a month to test it out I could always cancel and re-sub to the year?
To be fair this seems much more like AL's platform than Wakanim was, though you're right to be wary of anything where the content is effectively ephemeral. Since there's not a LOT of content, stuff is easy to find too. Video/sound quality seems fine for me, stuck at 1080 thoughout my Promare viewing without buffering or weird atrifacts, but I'm hardly an expert on fine visual detail.

It was Wakanim And they put stuff like Kill la Kill behind it didn’t go well.
I’m mixed on the whole Vimeo back end as Vimeo ain’t know for it’s subs that work with multiple lines of dialogue.
Are the subs done through the player though? Or are they part of the media being shown? Since I had to select the subtitled version of Promare and there was no option to disable them, I had assumed they were effectively hard subbed.

Wakamin wasn't really Anime Limited's though was it? I think Anime Limited were just a partner for an attempted British expansion, three years after they started their first simulcast in France.

It was Wakanim And they put stuff like Kill la Kill behind it didn’t go well.
I’m mixed on the whole Vimeo back end as Vimeo ain’t know for it’s subs that work with multiple lines of dialogue.

I briefly checked Royal Space Force and Wolf's Rain, and it seems that the subtitled versions rips from the BDs, but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, the subtitles are burnt in.

Burnt in subs is a bit eh... as I remember the complaints when CR had them for a few months but my feelings are 100% what will the titles be in future as tbh I own most of ALs films I want to watch even Promare I’ve decided to wait as I spent £25 already (if AL did this before the BD I probably would have paid for it)

I watched Promare last night with my laptop hooked up to my TV, and it worked fine for the most part. I had a few drop-outs where I had to pause and re-start, but I think that’s my wonky connection, as I get that sometimes anyway. It’s kind of a hassle hooking up the laptop, but I have RemoteMouse, so at least I can control it from the sofa.

I know there’s talk of iOS and Android apps, but I wanted to put a suggestion in for some TV or console apps, ideally Roku or PS4 as I have those.

My major memory of Wakanim was that episodes were released on rotation and then hidden behind a pay wall. Something like the 3 most recent were openly available but any earlier you missed had to be paid for. And if I recall, to do that you had buy currency to use on the site with real money.

Remembering the last time Anime Limited had a streaming site I'm wary of doing a full year

Does the site seem to be better to find video's / Video's all there?

Whats the video quality like?

Guess if I purchase a month to test it out I could always cancel and re-sub to the year?

In fairness to that - if we're talking about Wakanim it was a different beast for a few reasons. Firstly that was orientated as a platform for simulcasting and secondly while we were fronting things, effectively it was a partnership and our role was a supporting one, helping supply the service with content and marketing it but the overall service wasn't ours as you can imagine. They've come ahead in leaps and bounds in recent years in France, it's a shame that project didn't come a little later for the UK too as they're great folks, super passionate and doing some cool stuff!

Re Screen Anime -
There's definitely no pressure on doing a year's worth here (although with store discount on top I can see it'd be tempting!) Answering your questions below as well:
  • Video's all there, better to find: As with a film festival - the volume of programming each month means that content is easy to find both through search and just on the main browse page (4 films and 1 TV series makes it all pretty straight forward).

• Video quality: I'll let others speak to that more - but it goes from 1080p downwards and should scale automatically. Always open to taking feedback on this - can't guarantee things happen overnight but we are building a plan for the next iteration of the festival infrastructure already as you can guess!

• Monthly vs annual: You absolutely can switch over after - and I'd heartily recommend that if you're wanting to dip your toes in :). If you go with either, we'll definitely appreciate you giving it a shot! We're here to listen too so fire away with any feedback after trying if you have suggestions :).
Hope this helps!

AP

Back