UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

And this is why I waited for a while and didn't order this ahead of time. Because I knew it was being released by Anime Limited and figured worst case the early bird price would be the same as other deal prices. Definite buy now.

I hope the OST CD being included will be something we can see from more future releases from AL. I personally think its a way better extra than artcards/posters/etc

I imagine it'd be hard for some stuff, and really would depend on how much the OST stands out. I'd love to see it with Weathering With You, i found that had a great soundtrack, but I don't know the general opinion on it.

Pre-ordered Promare, bit of a blind buy but I like Studio Trigger so it seems safe and I want to support a nice CE like this one that has an OST.

On the subject of studio Trigger I would be remiss not to mention my want for a release of Little Witch Acadamia again lol.

It's one of the many titles in the void called Netflix. This is why I really hate when Netflix licenses something

Sometimes they get the licence and the thing gets released physically. Years later.
I honestly just end up getting annoyed at the fact they hold the licence until the series is finished then shove all the episodes up. Because let's face it, if they got a good series people want to watch then there is a high chance they already watched it months ago.

An all around stellar CE for Promare! Might very well put in a pre-order during this week.

I honestly just end up getting annoyed at the fact they hold the licence until the series is finished then shove all the episodes up. Because let's face it, if they got a good series people want to watch then there is a high chance they already watched it months ago.

This is their biggest problem. It is such a stupid practice. Always hits me when I read over at Anime News Network when they do a review for a series and nearly everyone in the comments have watched said show months ago and in some cases seen more of the show than the reviewers.

This is their biggest problem. It is such a stupid practice. Always hits me when I read over at Anime News Network when they do a review for a series and nearly everyone in the comments have watched said show months ago and in some cases seen more of the show than the reviewers.

Yeah. I mean they must see how sites like Crunchyroll and Funimation draw people in is with the almost immediate access to episodes. No idea what Amazon's practices are to compare it but the first two seem to understand that the best way to make people watch it there is to allow access.

Amazon when they were licensing anime, were trying to do simulcasts (even if some shows were slow at getting uploaded).

Netflix isn't aiming solely at the english-speaking instant anime crowd, they are subbing and dubbing into at least half a dozen languages usually and these things take time to co-ordinnate and are wanting to market to multiple markets with a simultaneous launch.

Plus I wonder what the pay is like for Netflix's translators compared to CR, which is often reported as being a pretty low paying job.

the way i see it with netflix and their keeping anime on the streaming network is they're more interested in getting you to spend that £5 a month or whatever it is on the subscription so you'll accidentally discover other stuff and decide to keep your sub than getting you to spend £20-30 on a 1 time purchase of the blu-ray and then not touching anything until the next season comes out

i do wonder tho if it really is a netflix thing or japanese companies because i think all if not most of the actual netflix original shows haven't really got a blu-ray release, stranger things got some really limited release in america but that was about it

In this current world I’m using Netflix and amazon more than CR. Without simulcasts those subscriptions are crap cos they don’t use BD masters if only CR would I would watch backlog stuff on it then but I don’t if other masters exist bar TV

the way i see it with netflix and their keeping anime on the streaming network is they're more interested in getting you to spend that £5 a month or whatever it is on the subscription so you'll accidentally discover other stuff and decide to keep your sub than getting you to spend £20-30 on a 1 time purchase of the blu-ray and then not touching anything until the next season comes out

i do wonder tho if it really is a netflix thing or japanese companies because i think all if not most of the actual netflix original shows haven't really got a blu-ray release, stranger things got some really limited release in america but that was about it
House of Cards got home releases as did the Marvel series until Defenders.

This is a good point and certainly true in my case. I subbed literally just for Violet Evergarden, but I've ended up keeping it going because there's western stuff on there that I've discovered and have found I want to watch.

In general though, I'd feel better about it if there was an actual time limit on their exclusivity before it was opened up to home video licensing, even if that was 18-24 months; rather than being locked to the service for perpetuity. The only way to own some of these series, like LWA for example, is to import the Japanese Blu-rays and the vast majority cannot afford nor have the Japanese ability required to do that.

Just out of curiosity, Andrew mentioned a couple of pages back that Utena "is in progress for approvals etc". Anyone, with far better knowledge than me when it comes to this, knows where in the exact licensing process this is? Is it somewhere in the beginning of the process, in the middle or towards the end?

Back