UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

At the end of day AL back in 2015 should never announced they would be releasing Gundam at the same rate as the US. Even before the French joint venture AL were still slow with releases I recall second part of original series taking much longer to release so its nothing new with AL. Once you make a sure impression people have cerain expectation's.

In regard CCA it would be a big disappointment if its not the 4K remaster, especially waiting up to 2 years for a release that been released in the UK and France before. If its the old master why did it take so long, understand if it was a gundam series or movie that hasn't been released before.

Last edited:
From what I see Hyouka Part 2 is totally sold out. Unless I can buy it somewhere? If no (and reduction is not planned), there will be a standard edition?
The licenses to all of the Funimation titles that Anime Limited had distributed has seemingly been revoked. So titles like Assassination Classroom, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, Hyouka, Claymore, Eden of the East etc. are now gone.

There are some european based sellers, but with questionable delivery times (most likely not in stock).
However Madman Australia announced a Blu-ray some time ago, but it has been postponed until further notice.

If it hasn't to be region B, there is still Funi's own version. But it's region A locked. (And you don't get any of the packaging extras. It has at least a cover Artwork the UK version hasn't afair.)

At the end of day AL back in 2015 should never announced they would be releasing Gundam at the same rate as the US. Even before the French joint venture AL were still slow with releases I recall second part of original series taking much longer to release so its nothing new with AL. Once you make a sure impression people have cerain expectation's.

In regard CCA it would be a big disappointment if its not the 4K remaster, especially waiting up to 2 years for a release that been released in the UK and France before. If its the old master why did it take so long, understand if it was a gundam series or movie that hasn't been released before.
I think there's various problems.

For one, Sunrise are infamously defensive of Gundam as their flagship property. They've softened in past 15 years (they had some ludicrous ideas as to how it would go global at the start of the century) but it's still a title they have immense confidence in. Consider how Gundam already arguably crashed in the Western market but has come back through sheer determination to make it a thing.

Another issue the question of just how you pitch it to fans outside Japan/Asia. Gundam owes its success to when it was released in Japan. What it defined in 1979, cultural nostalgia, etc. It's a bit like why Doctor Who is a huge thing over here even today but no one talks anymore about something like Primeval. Gundam has the UC timeline which is blighted by dated animation and a large backlog. Something Sunrise had realised by the mid 90s which is why they started the AU concept. So which series does an overseas licensor go with? What will Sunrise even allow them to? We were told the plan was to start the UK releases with the UC timeline but those have never been released here before. What little Gundam nostalgia exists in the UK is for Wing and a bit of SEED and 00.

Honestly the size, and old animation of UC is one of the biggest challenges I have to try, and get into gundam.

Even if I do like the trilogy movies when I eventually watch them. I'm then on the long journey of having to spend £££ to buy all of the rest. Its a pretty daunting thing for people who aren't already big gundam fans

I tend to find MSG's plot manages to overshadow the dated animation. There's still some stupid or silly things in it but the story and characters are why I was hoping they'd fully animate The Origin, not just awkwardly weld the prequel chapters onto the 1979 show where they don't fit.

I like most of the UC stuff but generally not the stuff others do. I find Zeta incredibly overrated and grim and the reason a lot of people give for liking 08th MS Team (removing most of the iconic UC elements) is why I'm not too keen on it. And although F91 has some cool ideas you can really tell it was made from abandoned plans for a TV series.

For me MSG '79's Movie Trilogy's animation is more appealing than, say, most stuff by ufotable- as you can tell it was hand drawn and has gorgeous backgrounds. Not to say that Digital anime has no place- shows like JoJo and Mob Psycho utilize its strengths perfectly- but there was a charm lost.

That said, I'm now aware of a lack of nostalgia for Gundam in the UK. As someone who isn't British, nor ever watched Toonami, I wasn't familiar with its history in the UK. Here in the US, it's better, in that we had more exposure, but even then, the ones people have nostalgia over are the worst ones (Wing, SEED).

Still, even though I now realise why Gundam in the UK hasn't been doing too hot, and why AL is taking forever to release them in the UK, it's unfortunate. But, that's life, really. You win some, you loose some.

Back