UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

What exactly is that actually?
A transfer from film elements to digital video using a flying-spot scanner with a cathode ray tube (CRT) imaging system.

CRT-based scanners have lot of unwanted side effects if not properly maintained, such as scanner noise (not to be confused with film grain).

These days scanners with a Charge-Coupled Devices (CCD) based imaging system are being used instead.

Last edited:
lost, or just not popular enough to justify the costs of restoration. It's a sad fate for many 90s shows.

Many Japanese studios weren't the best at storing their reels, and the hot humid summers ruined many things. Its sad to see stuff lost to the flow of time.

Yeah, it does indeed look as if grain has been added afterwards, meaning it was degrained in the process. Artifacts are also visible near the edges. All in all, doesn't really look like an improvement, which is a pity.

I’d been hyping it up as a huge improvement, but even I have to say I’m disappointed. Sorry if I set false expectations for anyone. I had no idea about the reduced or removed grain.

Back