UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Maybe the case for older stuff, but if you're following the current season then a) it can't be done with physical and b) is probably even more hardcore because you'll probably be watching stuff that will never see the light of day physically in the West.
So I call that BS!

Does it really matter on which end of the "Geeky" spectrum you are? Preferring one medium over another doesn't (in my opinion) make you more or less of a fan of something; it's just preference.

I definitely see this point of view, we can all be fans just watching a show on crunchyroll. I took his post more in line with the conversation on collectors of films.

Oh yes, the Internet will be the saviour of us all, Marie Kondo-ing our DVD and BD shelves as lightning fast connections ensure that all our favourite movies and shows remain on tap...

And then this happens.

Home | UltraViolet

Not really comparable to Plex or Kodi which Ultraviolet is closely related to. Nor any of the on demand services like Netflix for that matter. But for the people who went all in on Ultraviolet and abandoned their Blu-rays (I know of a few) this will be a shock.

Last edited:
Maybe the case for older stuff, but if you're following the current season then a) it can't be done with physical and b) is probably even more hardcore because you'll probably be watching stuff that will never see the light of day physically in the West.
So I call that BS!

Followers of current seasons that are simulcast, is something I consider done by avid fans. But that does not rule out a physical relase for a later date. Sure there may be titles that falls through the cracks because they are too obscure and won't get a physical release because of that, but those two things don't go hand in hand, plenty of obscure B movies gets a physical release while they are nowhere to be found on the more popular streaming services.

You can easily be an anime fan without buying anything.
It needs to happen otherwise anime will die. MHA is doing very well not because it sells a lot of BDs. It is snobby to say oh I'm anime fan cos I buy stuff.

Sure you can be anime anime fan without buying stuff, but you still buy a subscription atleast to some anime service I take it, otherwise anime will die because people don't use enough money on it.

Sure you can be an anime fan without buying physical relases and just have a subscription to some streaming service, but that is also the cheapest kind of anime fan. I checked Chruncyhroll for fun, apprantly it's available in my country. The cost in my country is DKK 45,- that's like 5£ a month, I spend way more on anime on DVD and BD.

So I'm a snob, that's fine with me. Even though I'm a snob, I do have my limits. I did not buy the LOTGH LE from Sentai. If 800$ was a grab in the pocket for me, I would would have bought it, but it's not, far from it, I'm still hoping for a regular release though.

But sure the streaming services are making money otherwise they wouldn't be there, it's a business afterall, just like physical releases make money. There will always be people like you and snobs like me. Combined we make it work, we get anime and the big wigs gets a big fat pay check.

I’m getting annoyed by the CE first culture though I want to buy a lot of anime I admit but most these days aren’t CEs. As most CEs end up full of tat unless I really admire a director or love the art I rarely read the books. So SE options are a bonus for me that’s how I see anime is shifting it’s going CE first even for stuff I feel undiserving Hi evolution for example.

Does it really matter on which end of the "Geeky" spectrum you are? Preferring one medium over another doesn't (in my opinion) make you more or less of a fan of something; it's just preference.

Geeky spectrum was to put things in perspective, but it only made things worse in a way. But to some extent it does make a difference, because if you stream LOTGH for 5£ a month VS buying a friggin 800$ box, I say those who owns that LOTGH box are friggin hardcore. Note I do not own that box myself, so I am not tooting my own horn.

I definitely see this point of view, we can all be fans just watching a show on crunchyroll. I took his post more in line with the conversation on collectors of films.

I have noticed this about myself before. I come of as being harsh and oppionated, while my post should be taken
with a grain of salt, or not so harshly.

I’m getting annoyed by the CE first culture though I want to buy a lot of anime I admit but most these days aren’t CEs. As most CEs end up full of tat unless I really admire a director or love the art I rarely read the books. So SE options are a bonus for me that’s how I see anime is shifting it’s going CE first even for stuff I feel undiserving Hi evolution for example.

When I buy a CE, I buy it because I want the anime ofcourse, but also because of the chipboard box. Like I have said before, I like the artwork and design. But alot of the times those little books don't do anything for me.

I have noticed this about myself before. I come of as being harsh and oppionated, while my post should be taken with a grain of salt, or not so harshly.

It's ok, I have a bad habit myself of not always being clear with what I mean myself. I think we can all agree that we all want to support Anime and I believed I was right that what you said was towards collectors as the natural flow of conversation at that point was primarily about DVD's and Blu-rays.

This is a good discussion though and I think everyone is making good points, this isn't a topic with a clear cut answer and somehow we have gotten from DVD's still being a good medium to collect still to the all digital skynet. I just wish my question that actually was on topic didn't get buried because now I'll have to ask it again when this has cooled off :p

Well, they certainly won't be in my collection. I've been totally HD in my home for over 10 years, so I dumped all my DVDs back in 2008. I can understand still having to buy older titles on the used market in their original DVD releases, but anything new has no business being on DVD anymore. I'm glad to see companies announcing they are discontinuing them, and at least go to SDBD for re-releases of older material.
I've almost exclusively been a blu-ray buyer for that amount of time myself, only making rare exceptions when something isn't released on the format. However, I can't see DVDs becoming obsolete while they're still "good enough" for mass market consumers (and sometimes cost 1/3rd less than BDs in the UK). For example, when visiting local supermarkets, their DVD section is 3x the size of the space they give to Blu-rays...

I do wonder about the long term viability of Blu-ray as a format. As I mentioned earlier, I've seen some non-anime UK releases forgo Blu-ray, releasing only on DVD and Digital HD. Basically, we hardcore fans are likely in the minority for a lot of titles, even if Blu-ray is objectively technically superior. So, bringing this back to Maquia, having a good quality DVD is still important.

But if they keep firing Voice Actors without any substantiated reasons, there won't be any left to make any dubs, and everyone except us subbers will have to learn to read English again to watch their anime. 😱

Anime Limited is like Nintendo. Nintendo hasn't made a Nintendo Direct for 2019 yet, and as a result, people are making rumours and speculation, while 3rd party developers are announcing stuff on Twitter that would be better suited for a Direct. AL hasn't announced anything for 2019, really, and as a result rumours and speculation has started up.

In short- what's going on?! I would've expected something by mid-January, but now we're nearing mid-February with nothing. If this is a big year, then why not announce anything?

Perfect. Blue. When. The US release uses the exact same transfer bit-for-bit, and yet no word on the AL release? I'm fine with it being delayed if we get anything! At this point, I'm going Sh*t Factory for PB- they may end up having more extras, and with the transfer being 1:1, there's no reason to get the AL release unless that UE is insane (which I hope it is).

Back