UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I'm Ok with UE editions the size of Escaflowne/Patema Inverted/Giovanni's Island, since the custom shelves I constructed for my anime collection have shelf openings that just happen to be sized perfectly for those UE editions - they just fit inside, and flush with the front edge of the shelving. :cool:

Same here. I much prefer the old style UE (Escaflowne in particular) to the new ones. Guess I didn't make that clear in my post. :)

One reason you'd want to re-do the discs is that some of the episodes have incorrect brightness levels compared to every other release.

Even with the brightness issue, it's still better looking than the FUNi version, but we can do so much better nowadays...

Kind of curious why most of your releases are sealed?

Just because the shrink wrap is still on the box doesn't mean it is still sealed - for shrink wrapped box sets I use a razor blade to slit a "door" or flap on the open side of the box just wide enough to get the contents out one piece at a time, so that the shrink wrap remains on the box to protect it. Eventually I will make resealable bags sized to the releases and remove the shrink wrap, but until then I need something over them to keep the boxes minty fresh! As for singles, I keep them all stored in plastic box protectors, like you can see on all the steelbooks and Ghibli CE's on the second shelf down, and all the Arise singles on the top left shelf, so they may look like they are still unopened. I literally have almost no anime sitting on my shelves that are bare with nothing covering them - I have them all stored either in slit shrink wrap, resealable bags, or plastic box protectors. I'm very anal about not having exposed packaging on the shelves in my collection!

But, there are a lot of sets in my collection that are still completely sealed - some are because I have multiple releases from different countries, and I've just opened only one of them to view; others are because I collect anime much faster than I could ever watch it, or I have already watched it on streaming and haven't had a chance to show the Blu-ray to any friends and give me an excuse to open it...

Last edited:
Cannot wait for this set due to this as I've been looking for a Vinyl case for a few weeks not but been putting it off (thankfully I did)

As asked on twitter though:

Vinyl Flight Case but you have chosen CD format for the OST?

(And to expand from my previous tweet)
I think this would have been a really good First for the Vinyl OST line for Anime Limited

Like, really good first

Andrew replied on Twitter so I'm happy

Still wont lie, I would have preferred at least a partial vinyl release (like the US set had with its 2 disk vinyl release in their special edition) but...

Re vinyl - I can understand the sentiment from some quarters but a 2 x 12 inch LP vinyl release can at best hold 1/3rd of the complete OST for Cowboy Bebop. That's a dangerous way to go and as a real fan of the soundtrack I did not want a gimmick - I wanted the complete main discography of the series for people to own & enjoy. That to me was what would make it an ultimate set and it's a format everyone can use so keeps the options wide for who buys it :).

Why not do it all on vinyl or replicate Funimation's one? Well the situation on that is very complicated but I took it the CD route to ensure the best quality possible right now :). If we did a vinyl as I say - I would want it as a separate release too, not as a bundled thing too.

Best,

Andrew

You may regret saying that as there's technically still episodes which have a mono dub track... :cool:

Technically - yet no complaints regularly about it so I'm of the opinion that if it isn't ruining people's enjoyment (which I'd say looking across Amazon reviews, feedback and digital placements of the show it isn't) - then don't try fixing it as we're bound to just make things worse with our luck. Given the amount of stress I am put under now every time we put a new disc out currently, it just doesn't make it a compelling thing for me to do, sorry folks.

AP

Last edited:
@anime_andrew There's one or two questions that I hope you don't mind me asking. Since I went for the Funimation version I heard that the UK version turned out to be a little better and since I don't mind double-dipping for UK discs I'm down for upgrading to the 20th anniversary set.

It all depends what you want ultimately from your set there I suspect :)! Probably worth finding me at an MCM to catch up on some points on it too!

The first question I want to ask is how large is the set? I ask this because assuming it's going to be big how would the discs be handled. Because my first reaction was something like a repeat of Gurren Lagann, or are you experimenting with something similar to @Anime's Stand Alone Complex set assuming it's larger than normal.

Oh we all remember that pain - the size is a proper flight case for vinyl so I will share the dimensions when in office to measure the sample. We've changed a lot since those days and the boxes are Sony approved for discs so it's not a digipack tray style but rigid vinyl sized cases with disc holders inside like you'd find for books with discs which are specifically approved for Blu-Ray. So it replicates a vinyl gatefold basically but with the discs on the right side of the inner on each with no glued trays that can fall out.

So no - different to Gurren Lagann and safer across the board.

Second question is the SRP. Now I know some have probably already answered this but is it expected to be between £100-150 or £150-200 would you reckon? If an early bird offer is planned that would help as well.

SRP (meaning before any discount) is higher than that, around FMA on account of:

- Soundtracks - clearing the rights costs a lot of cash.

- Artbook - We're clearing a lot of art never used before for a release which means fees to Mr Kawamoto to cover the costs of usage for starters there. Prouduction of an artbook is never cheap too.

- Flight case - This one is simple, it's an expensive item to make and limited to 1k units the cost efficiencies are not there but it will be an amazing piece and completely functional.

- The film - While good of Manga to allow us access, this again comes at a cost for access too which bumps the price up.

So a more functional one but also on the high-end of costs to achieve - but it's a thing we wanted to do and you only live once :). You can expect an early bird to follow the pattern of FMA though really.

Third and final question is actually for something completely different entirely. I would like to know if the Perfect Blue Ultimate Edition is still on schedule for this Q4 or has that been pushed back to 2019? I'm definitely down for that release. I watched the first for the first time with the Anime Ltd collector's set back in November 2013, also my first Anime Ltd purchase. I really liked the film and I'm down for a re-watch with the new encode.

It's on for Q4 still, moving to print soon as just got approvals :). Working on a new master of the disc now too.

Best,

Andrew

yeah, Violet Evergarden was fantastic, one of my top anime of all time, and I wouldn't touch Devilman with a ten foot pole.

I already own all four JP LE sets for Violet Evergarden, even though they aren't English friendly at all. VE will probably be like Your Name for me - I'll end up having six different releases from a bunch of different countries in my collection... :cool:

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to B, Kakegarui, and AICO in addition to VE from Netflix. That Dragon Pilot anime looks like a good story, but I won't be able to tolerate all the moe little girls in that one, so I would never buy it on Blu-ray.

Last edited:
Would Ajin Season 2 ever get an AL release? I have the Sentai Edition but would sell that to have a CE that matches Season 1.

Dragon Pilot anime looks like a good story, but I won't be able to tolerate all the moe girls in that one, so I would never buy it on Blu-ray.
IiGUfyb.jpg

Didn't feel like a moe show to me, but maybe I've been corrupted! Dunno what a recommendation from me is worth, but s'good.

Back