UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Just wanna say ta for the early birds on Sound & Amanchu, wanted both but was struggling a tad with funds so the offers coming about gave me the chance to purchase, super thanks.
If you wanna do one for 'Lion, you'd have my double thanks ;)

Cool packaging design on the Bebop UE, the 5.1 box is definitely a good starting point for inspiration. I'd already figured it's not for me though, since I already have the soundtracks and some art books, but since a possible 25th anniversary release has already been mentioned… I would put money down for something like the translated text material or the Kouichi Yamadera video extra from the new Funimation release, or the cast commentaries from the Japanese releases.

What is there really to change though since we fixed the glitches from launch :)?

I never cared for the dub, so the mono thing doesn't bother me, but the gamma problem Professor Who mentioned does. I agree that AL's video quality's definitely better than Funimation's, but the levels are at least a quarter higher than the Japanese ones. I get why there's little impetuous to fix it when it'd mean replacing the masters of those four discs, but it becomes more of a deal-breaker when considering buying in again at a premium price point.

Complete box for the 2 seasons + oav's of Tokyo Ghoul.
Planned for November 28 (France) & December 17 (UK).
The discs are the same between France and UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tokyo-Ghoul-Collection-Suehei-Morita/dp/B06W5HM994/ref=sr_1_63?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1538318298&sr=1-63&refinements=p_n_theme_browse-bin:5808043031,p_n_date:182247031

MysBS2d.jpg

Last edited:
@anime_andrew Just want to Say the bebop Set is Pretty Damn Cool and no you shouldn't take a loss on it but factoring in space - shipping and imports and the fact that this is the upper of 200 pounds ? im not so Sure i do dig that the sound track is in the Set currently i just own the film on Blu ray and dvd and the old madman Remix dvd box set ( pity madman probably cant make an ulmtate set) or are they ? regardless il have to do A fair bit of thinking on the matter in terms of Costs( tho the sound track itself is probably a bargain) i did like the funimation exclusive and amazon exclusive packging guess theres no chances of any relaseses like that ? will give it all some throught :)

Tokyo Ghoul - there's a 3rd season right ? which is also getting a part 2 ?

a few things I'll put here for others to debate,
What is the deal with 6 month gaps?
Now I already pointed out that Re Zero part 2 was going to be, not surprised, seems Funi have caught the same bug.
the newest example has left me frankly staggered, while looking for new releasees to throw money at I happened upon a release date for Testament of a sister new devil burst, which is (hopefully released) in October in the US, that is not the problem, on the same site (up1) they have the UK release on there, have a guess..... ? March 2019, oh look it's 6 months again.
now to the next annoyance (or potential irksome waste of time) Twin star exorcist, now if you follow the normal pattern you do realise this won't be complete for nearly 2 years? which I will probably have given up on AL completely by then,
So please prove me wrong this time and don't continue with this 6 month wait for parts/seasons, I can understand doing gaps for re-releases, these aren't these are the first release for this region/country. If anybody requotes the same, small company at me I will lose my temper, MVM are only 2, count them 2 people, hard to get any smaller really. so there you go pick the bones out of that one

Now I already pointed out that Re Zero part 2 was going to be, not surprised, seems Funi have caught the same bug.
the newest example has left me frankly staggered, while looking for new releasees to throw money at I happened upon a release date for Testament of a sister new devil burst, which is (hopefully released) in October in the US, that is not the problem, on the same site (up1) they have the UK release on there, have a guess..... ? March 2019, oh look it's 6 months again.
now to the next annoyance (or potential irksome waste of time) Twin star exorcist, now if you follow the normal pattern you do realise this won't be complete for nearly 2 years? which I will probably have given up on AL completely by then,
So please prove me wrong this time and don't continue with this 6 month wait for parts/seasons, I can understand doing gaps for re-releases, these aren't these are the first release for this region/country. If anybody requotes the same, small company at me I will lose my temper, MVM are only 2, count them 2 people, hard to get any smaller really. so there you go pick the bones out of that one

Darren, I believe you've raised this before and been answered?

The examples you cite are explainable - Re:Zero has been delayed in the US likely due to the issue with the video quality on Part 1. The US release is now late October and AL haven't published a date for this for the UK as yet, I have asked this question myself but I'd expect it either in December or January if the US date of October is met.

Twin Star Exorcist is a not really delayed - the US release of Part 1 was in July with the UK release in September. Part 2 has just been released over there so I'd expect Part 2 here in November.

It would seem you're reasonably new to the UK anime scene, as even 6 months is far better than the gaps used to be 8-10 years+ ago...

It would seem you're reasonably new to the UK anime scene, as even 6 months is far better than the gaps used to be 8-10 years+ ago...

I dunno, a 26 episode series released in 7 volumes, with one volume every two months didn't feel as painful as a six month wait, even if the whole series took twice as long to release.

The reason AL's release of Testament S2 is so far away is because the US release was pushed back indefinitely. It isn't coming out in October at all, as far as I'm aware.

ok then since people want to go there, I am not new to the anime scene, I've probably been around longer than most of you, since I was about when VHS was the height of tech and we had more companies than we have at no point since. if we want a history lesson, single volumes were 2-3 months per 4-6 eps, the only company that were forced to do 3 didn't finish most of there releases (revelations) these are probably the biggest gaps we have seen in the UK, not completing a release is admittedly a longer gap
Re Zero has been set for December US, and as I said this isn't about that, since that is not an AL caused problem.Since this is the AL discussion thread, probably why I wasn't getting at that.
Twin star, did I say that it had been announced over hear, I don't think I did, I was merely putting a point across, if it followed the 6 month gap virus that seems to be the new rule, then it will be nearly 2 years, Did I say it was going to happen? No don't think so, in any case, the US release for part 2 is out this month so we'll see what happens with the UK release.
Testament burst, as the Doctor said has been announced for 30/10 and as I said the future releases on UP1 put it up that the UK was due in March(technically not 6 month but damn close) but it does seem to be a running theme for AL 6 month being a norm, That is the point I wanted people to discuss not that I'm a newbie (which I'm not) or that my facts aren't quite right (which they are)

Last edited:
ok then since people want to go there, I am not new to the anime scene, I've probably been around longer than most of you, since I was about when VHS was the height of tech and we had more companies than we have at no point since. if we want a history lesson, single volumes were 2-3 months per 4-6 eps, the only company that were forced to do 3 didn't finish most of there releases (revelations) these are probably the biggest gaps we have seen in the UK, not completing a release is admittedly a longer gap
Re Zero has been set for December US, and as I said this isn't about that, since that is not an AL caused problem.Since this is the AL discussion thread, probably why I wasn't getting at that.
Twin star, did I say that it had been announced over hear, I don't think I did, I was merely putting a point across, if it followed the 6 month gap virus that seems to be the new rule, then it will be nearly 2 years, Did I say it was going to happen? No don't think so, in any case, the US release for part 2 is out this month so we'll see what happens with the UK release.
Testament burst, as the Doctor said has been announced for 30/10 and as I said the future releases on UP1 put it up that the UK was due in March(technically not 6 month but damn close) but it does seem to be a running theme for AL 6 month being a norm, That is the point I wanted people to discuss not that I'm a newbie (which I'm not) or that my facts aren't quite right (which they are)

Problem is that point you are trying to make isn't the norm - you just said yourself in this post that you didn't say that this was going to happen yet your whole point is that 6 month gaps are an AL "thing" that you're unhappy about?

Some titles do get spaced out, others do not - this depends on many factors that @anime_andrew has detailed before in this thread. At the end of the day if you want something sooner, you could import it? If you don't want to import than you'll have to wait like the rest of us do?

I'm keen on getting the titles you mentioned quickly, but as I don't want to import I've accepted that I'll have to wait. The easiest thing to do is either not buy the sets until they have completely released or buy them at the point of release and wait to watch them until the release is finished...

let us for a minute look back at the last say 2 years, even in the small community that is this forum, on several occasions the gappage has been 6 months between parts/seasons, which I have had to point out since people seem to think it's fine and dandy(mostl;y for reasons of pack ins or perhaps it's a delay of a technical nature (which seldom happens with series, more likely movies)
now the 6 month gaps are becoming a theme or more commonplace, which peeps seem to be accepting of, Why?
If say Manga decided to release say magical girl milky crisis, the hottest new thing in Japan but released it in chunks of 8 eps every 6 months, I dare say most would be put out by this, mostly because the delay to owning the whole thing would be too long and to a lesser degree it was Manga (who aren't loved whatever people say)
the nub of the gist is this, If as you say Import, instead of wait, How does that aid AL or for that matter the UK anime industry, which is what this forum is supposed to be about, surely we should strive to improve what we deem as a failing, or am I wrong and this is just an AL love in, where people kowtow to Andrew because he brings the wonders of books and pretty things.
I was under the misguided assumption this was a discussion forum.you know where we discuss things to improve things through criticism and such like,
I'd love AL to succeed, as I would any company that deems to release anime in this tiny pond that is the UK, doing so, so slowly releasing series is not the way it should be (now I'll get the it's not a right spokesman jump on me) and I am aware it's a at best a hobby at worst a perversion (but I not going there, bloody daily mail)
there do with it what you want,

I think the point is that the points you've raised have been covered already in this thread and broadly answered at different points on a title-by-title basis?

AL have acknowledged issues in the past and have looked to remedy them, by for example not announcing release dates until a title is locked in with approvals and materials. The problem your posts have is that you are making a direct comparison between the UK and the US, without taking into account differing licencing restrictions / agreements and availability of materials, as well as the smaller team at AL compared to the US distros.

I understand you are frustrated, but many of these things you've raised are things AL have said they are aware of. Also, you need to consider that the market for physical media has changed since the period you seem to be looking back at (VHS, multi-part DVD editions). There is little money in standard editions these days, so Collector's Editions tend to be king - your choice here is to wait or pick up that edition. Producing such editions can also take longer but does seem to be where the market demand is when you are discussing a niche market...

You're probably thinking I'm just mounting a blind defence of AL, but the only recent releases I can recall that had large gaps between parts were Hyouka and ERASED, both for differing reasons detailed by AL at the time I believe.

Back