UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

AGE was pitched to Bandai as a game project but the guy who created it is such a big Gundam fan that in his pitch he actually sold them on the idea that it could be a full anime with a game spin off. So Bandai/Sunrise went for it, pushing it with a toyline that included chips in the Gunpla and toys that allowed them to interact with arcade cabinets and home units. They had full expectations it was going to blow the successful previous series, 00, out of the water.

Didn't happen. A magazine showing the first confirmed info leaked a few days before the Sunrise press conference. Fans loathed it and it was bad enough that Sunrise had to literally beg them to please be tolerant as they promised them The Origin was coming (this was like 3-4 years before we actually got it). Kids didn't care for the war story setting and older fans complained the story wasn't deep enough. The toys sold so badly that at least one big name import store stopped getting them in. At the tail end of the show's run a pair of games were released, expanding on parts of the story and fleshing some things out more consistently (a central concept of AGE is we see the Gundam evolve in power to match the escalating power of the enemy).

The second quarter of the show at least did well enough to get a compilation TV movie about its protagonist. Retcons a few things from the TV show thankfully.

I think Flit is one of the best characters across the show but his arc is inconsistent at times.

The baffling thing is that for a franchise that has never been afraid to call out bad parents, AGE slides into 'the family patriarch is always right'. Not helped by a healthy amount of 'women are there to make babies'.

Ive heard a lot of the women seem to die
AGE is certainly big on women being there as little more than motivation for men. Be that by raising their kids or dying in combat situations.The last ED is literally the three Asuno's partners waiting at home for them to come back from the war.

Hey everybody.

Have any of you received Wolf's Rain Ultimate Collection yet?

My buddy in the UK have already received his and I have not even received a shipping confirmation.

Yeah I received mine

Thanks for the info Doc.
I wonder what the hold up is with my order since I have not even received a shipping confoirmation?
I will maybe get an answer later tonight since I have mailed Anime Limited yesterday, unless AL is busy, they are at some anime con at the moments I think.

Before I forget again.

1. Thanks for including art cards in The Origin set. Always bugged me that BV didn't do this with the collector sets until The Origin II.

2. Whoever decided to give us Gekiganger stickers in the Nadesico set is a genius.

Man seeing that Re:Zero is worse than a stream is depressing tbh. I mean I'm in two minds whether to buy it or not as while I liked some parts of the show I think as a whole it wasn't amazing. I expect this one to sell out pretty quickly, but after Your Name, AssClass and Durarara do I really want to buy yet another defective AL release? :/ It's a tough one as I do not expect this one to be fixed but I still expect it to go OOP pretty fast so as much as I don't want to support garbage like this I'm gonna have to make up my mind real quick.

Right now effectively what you are saying is you'll be buying nobody's release then English speaking, meaning all you hurt is the brand itself long term then right now as the Funimation version is definitely the same.

To re-iterate for folks too and cover some other points out:

Why did we release the US version, not use the FR one? Simply put - you the fans decided it for us. We've taken a strong stance to bring delays down to a minimum and to guarantee day & date with the USA matching their master was the safest route. The secondary benefit is this also meant we just had stock in time for MCM Comic Con (literally on the day, which is why we found out first from yourselves than anything else).

To re-iterate these are the steps that we're taking right now re RE:ZERO now that I am back:
  • Speaking with both the licensor and the authoring company to investigate the issue.

• Running our own checks on the UK discs we have here too.
Once we've done those things we'll come back on it to folk about it as and when we can - but it'll likely be a few weeks before I can do that as I prefer to understand the full situation and if there even if a solution first before doing anything.

Please note too for those talking replacements: Every time we have done a replacement scheme it has been for an experience that completely impairs your viewing and there is something we can do about it. Here as a reminder is the list again:
  • Cowboy Bebop (2013, replaced 2014) - Visual glitches due to capture errors on Part 1. This impaired the experience to watch and was not in the original master and while small errors, we replaced them as respect for those who supported us on our first release ever and set a good pattern in my opinion for which frankly I have only ever received grief for (this latest burst says it all).

• Durarara!!! (2014, replaced 2015) - Discs were botched in multiple ways by Siren at the time, we re-authored and replaced off our own back. Probably our most expensive replacement scheme by the by too.

• Gurren Lagann digipacks (2014) - This was an issue completely outside our hands which was frustrating after the delays in approval. This resulted in an entire printer being blacklisted by our production company actually. Probably the one we feel worst about still as it was never really resolved in terms of a fix except for a chunky voucher for the store.

• Kill la Kill Part 1 (2014, replaced 2014) - Small audio desynchronisation issue found at MCM Comic Con time. We replaced this within the same year again for anyone impacted.

• Kill la Kill Part 3 (2015, replaced 2015) - Box issue with tightness found at MCM Comic Con. We replaced this within the same year for anyone impacted).

• Escaflowne (2016, replaced 2016) - Issue on an episode not being rendered properly for BD that manifested only on the final BD so we replaced that to ensure nobody's experience was ruined.

• Your Lie in April Part 1 (2016, replaced 2017) - Issue on soft touch cover and soft touch inner making the box impossible to remove, revealing something nobody knew about printing (inc the printers!) Was replaced as soon as we knew the fix!

• Your Name (2017, replacement due within Q3 2018 latest) - This one was a personal call in the end and ultimately was audio induced (as it turned out the 5.1 channels were borked). While video quality was disappointing but certainly not defective - the clear defect in the audio was a real disruption to the experience. For those wondering, we've revised masters now and are running final checks before we release it into the wild here over the next months.
So in this case with Re:Zero - while it strongly falls into disappointing for us too, it is not at least the common vernacular definition of defective for us. It totally deserves to be in the disappointing category though and we are looking into it as we love this show a whole bunch too (Andy has single handedly helped prop it up based on the large REM figure on his desk...which I can't help but notice isn't quite as nice as some of the Emilia figures out there...)

Best,

AP

Right now effectively what you are saying is you'll be buying nobody's release then English speaking, meaning all you hurt is the brand itself long term then right now as the Funimation version is definitely the same.

To re-iterate for folks too and cover some other points out:

Why did we release the US version, not use the FR one? Simply put - you the fans decided it for us. We've taken a strong stance to bring delays down to a minimum and to guarantee day & date with the USA matching their master was the safest route. The secondary benefit is this also meant we just had stock in time for MCM Comic Con (literally on the day, which is why we found out first from yourselves than anything else).

To re-iterate these are the steps that we're taking right now re RE:ZERO now that I am back:
  • Speaking with both the licensor and the authoring company to investigate the issue.

• Running our own checks on the UK discs we have here too.
Once we've done those things we'll come back on it to folk about it as and when we can - but it'll likely be a few weeks before I can do that as I prefer to understand the full situation and if there even if a solution first before doing anything.

Please note too for those talking replacements: Every time we have done a replacement scheme it has been for an experience that completely impairs your viewing and there is something we can do about it. Here as a reminder is the list again:
  • Cowboy Bebop (2013, replaced 2014) - Visual glitches due to capture errors on Part 1. This impaired the experience to watch and was not in the original master and while small errors, we replaced them as respect for those who supported us on our first release ever and set a good pattern in my opinion for which frankly I have only ever received grief for (this latest burst says it all).

• Durarara!!! (2014, replaced 2015) - Discs were botched in multiple ways by Siren at the time, we re-authored and replaced off our own back. Probably our most expensive replacement scheme by the by too.

• Gurren Lagann digipacks (2014) - This was an issue completely outside our hands which was frustrating after the delays in approval. This resulted in an entire printer being blacklisted by our production company actually. Probably the one we feel worst about still as it was never really resolved in terms of a fix except for a chunky voucher for the store.

• Kill la Kill Part 1 (2014, replaced 2014) - Small audio desynchronisation issue found at MCM Comic Con time. We replaced this within the same year again for anyone impacted.

• Kill la Kill Part 3 (2015, replaced 2015) - Box issue with tightness found at MCM Comic Con. We replaced this within the same year for anyone impacted).

• Escaflowne (2016, replaced 2016) - Issue on an episode not being rendered properly for BD that manifested only on the final BD so we replaced that to ensure nobody's experience was ruined.

• Your Lie in April Part 1 (2016, replaced 2017) - Issue on soft touch cover and soft touch inner making the box impossible to remove, revealing something nobody knew about printing (inc the printers!) Was replaced as soon as we knew the fix!

• Your Name (2017, replacement due within Q3 2018 latest) - This one was a personal call in the end and ultimately was audio induced (as it turned out the 5.1 channels were borked). While video quality was disappointing but certainly not defective - the clear defect in the audio was a real disruption to the experience. For those wondering, we've revised masters now and are running final checks before we release it into the wild here over the next months.
So in this case with Re:Zero - while it strongly falls into disappointing for us too, it is not at least the common vernacular definition of defective for us. It totally deserves to be in the disappointing category though and we are looking into it as we love this show a whole bunch too (Andy has single handedly helped prop it up based on the large REM figure on his desk...which I can't help but notice isn't quite as nice as some of the Emilia figures out there...)

Best,

AP

You forgot one of the Persona 3 movies... :p

Back