UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Someone must have forgotten to post the promised Lu Over the Wall update this morning.
There was a promise?

EDIT: Ah I see they mentioned it on their blogpost lol:
We’ll be revealing this in full to all and sundry in the form of a full blog post on our site tomorrow, so keep your eyes peeled for that on Saturday morning!

AL, please do more in-house encoding/compression if you can. We don't want stuff like this here

I would gladly import more of your releases if you did.

Maybe the wrong place to ask this, but what exactly is this? I've noticed a lot of whats pictured on Crunchyroll recently, especially for darker scenes.

An example would be some of the night sky shots of Place Further than the Universe were truly awful, for what I would call... artifacting? I don't know

Maybe the wrong place to ask this, but what exactly is this?

It’s called video banding. It normally happens when you have a large source and try to compress it down to a smaller file size. Blu-ray is 50GB, so it normally shouldn’t be a problem, but FUNimation are incompetent and don’t seem to have QC.

By far, the WORST I’ve ever seen are FUNi’s BDs of Steins Gate and Psycho Pass which sadly are the same in their British equivalents.

I’m in America, and would gladly import, as AL is a company that cares about producing a good quality product, whereas FUNimation isn’t.

It’s called video banding. It normally happens when you have a large source and try to compress it down to a smaller file size. Blu-ray is 50GB
Thanks for the info :)

Yep thats the thing, and its really quite ugly. I don't know if its because I've mainly been a DVD watcher and never really noticed anything (as its pretty low res) or if something changed with Crunchyroll in the last 6 months. But I've seen this quite a lot recently

I watched the Funi Psycho Pass and Steins;Gate Blu-rays and can't say I noticed anything, so I'm sure these Re:Zero ones will be fine for me too.
I hardly ever notice things like this either however it's very noticeable on my copy, posted a few pics that I took on the what did you receive today thread quoted below
Yes it's as bad as those screenshots massive pixelation of the image in dark scenes, very noticeable even when it isn't paused.
Have took a few photos of my copy to show you (note pictures took by my phone camera of TV)

Gotta take a replacement bus if I want to make it to The Origin screening.

Only one way to be quick enough..
VZRfE7X.jpg

FUNimation are idiots. The fact that the Crunchyroll stream looks better shows how little they care about making a good product.

Source

Sigh...

I was eagerly awaiting RE:Zero's release but the abundant lack of care for one of 2016's best receives such a poor master, to the extent its worse than streaming and further insists we turn a blind eye and support it? No freakin' way.

In no way do I blame Anime Limited, you guys have alot going on and relying upon others to make timely progress to the UK market is understandable and we're incredibly grateful for. Sadly this is just another instance where its gone wrong but I hope our outcry will insist an opportunity to produce a satisfactory release, whether its 6 months from now or beyond, however much time you guys need. I know we can be impatient but when the option is this or streaming? I'll stream :/

As it currently stands though, at least for me, I'll be passing on RE:Zero.
I love the show but I will not support such a cruddy practice. :(

P.s. Thanks for the comparisons!

As it currently stands though, at least for me, I'll be passing on RE:Zero.
I love the show but I will not support such a cruddy practice.

Yeah,
I wouldn't support a release if it is this bad. I'm hoping AL does Part 2 in-house, but it would totally clash with awfulness of Part 1.

Also, does anyone have a MediaInfo on the m2ts of the Blu-ray available?
If so, I can send it to mp3dom a video compressionist at the Italian distribution company Dynit. He knows his stuff and can determine if the artifacts are from the encoded file or source.

Last edited:
Was tempted to go back for Love Live Sunshine but didn't. Forgive me, Yohane...

£70 isn't a bad spend though. Although from how much I hear @Jaysgba spent, there's likely a bust of him on a plinth in the AL office.

To be honest I will be buying Re.Zero regardless. I can't not buy one of my favourite series. There is no alternative as US and Australia versions will use the same master. Once I get watching it I doubt I'd notice anyway.

Back