UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Right now effectively what you are saying is you'll be buying nobody's release then English speaking, meaning all you hurt is the brand itself long term then right now as the Funimation version is definitely the same.

To re-iterate for folks too and cover some other points out:

Why did we release the US version, not use the FR one? Simply put - you the fans decided it for us. We've taken a strong stance to bring delays down to a minimum and to guarantee day & date with the USA matching their master was the safest route. The secondary benefit is this also meant we just had stock in time for MCM Comic Con (literally on the day, which is why we found out first from yourselves than anything else).

Pretty much as you said, the UK fandom (or just AUKN in general) felt that a smaller gap than a bigger one was the best solution to get anime out there as soon as possible without risking importation or hype demand getting lower. While I am happy to wait for select titles, sometimes it is best to get certain ones sooner than later - Re:ZERO of course is a perfect example and I can understand using Funimation's master over @Anime's, heck this video quality stance is literally just bad luck from my perspective (like not every Funimation master is bad, only select ones most notably Psycho-Pass Season 1 and Steins;Gate).

In fact the biggest debate when it comes to the masters is with the Gundam franchise. Like sure we're way behind than Nozomi's but honestly I feel Nozomi's is a bit too fast, like there's a lot of episodes for each Gundam title and that's dedication. Sure I binged Zeta & ZZ for 12 days straight but that's because I held it off for too long (and Zeta is so good).

I will still continue to support the UK Gundam releases since I like the boxes (I am very curious to see how you will handle the films like Thunderbolt December Sky when it comes to matching the sets).

To re-iterate these are the steps that we're taking right now re RE:ZERO now that I am back:
  • Speaking with both the licensor and the authoring company to investigate the issue.

• Running our own checks on the UK discs we have here too.
Once we've done those things we'll come back on it to folk about it as and when we can - but it'll likely be a few weeks before I can do that as I prefer to understand the full situation and if there even if a solution first before doing anything.

I appreciate that you're taking the time to go back to the licensor and ask about it. Admittedly video banding is pretty tough to notice and I can see why many wouldn't spot it at first glance, heck once you understand and notice it you can't help but keep spotting it later down the line - heck I see it shoved in my face on Crunchyroll's stream for Steins;Gate 0.

Please note too for those talking replacements: Every time we have done a replacement scheme it has been for an experience that completely impairs your viewing and there is something we can do about it. Here as a reminder is the list again:
  • Cowboy Bebop (2013, replaced 2014) - Visual glitches due to capture errors on Part 1. This impaired the experience to watch and was not in the original master and while small errors, we replaced them as respect for those who supported us on our first release ever and set a good pattern in my opinion for which frankly I have only ever received grief for (this latest burst says it all).

• Durarara!!! (2014, replaced 2015) - Discs were botched in multiple ways by Siren at the time, we re-authored and replaced off our own back. Probably our most expensive replacement scheme by the by too.

• Gurren Lagann digipacks (2014) - This was an issue completely outside our hands which was frustrating after the delays in approval. This resulted in an entire printer being blacklisted by our production company actually. Probably the one we feel worst about still as it was never really resolved in terms of a fix except for a chunky voucher for the store.

• Kill la Kill Part 1 (2014, replaced 2014) - Small audio desynchronisation issue found at MCM Comic Con time. We replaced this within the same year again for anyone impacted.

• Kill la Kill Part 3 (2015, replaced 2015) - Box issue with tightness found at MCM Comic Con. We replaced this within the same year for anyone impacted).

• Escaflowne (2016, replaced 2016) - Issue on an episode not being rendered properly for BD that manifested only on the final BD so we replaced that to ensure nobody's experience was ruined.

• Your Lie in April Part 1 (2016, replaced 2017) - Issue on soft touch cover and soft touch inner making the box impossible to remove, revealing something nobody knew about printing (inc the printers!) Was replaced as soon as we knew the fix!

• Your Name (2017, replacement due within Q3 2018 latest) - This one was a personal call in the end and ultimately was audio induced (as it turned out the 5.1 channels were borked). While video quality was disappointing but certainly not defective - the clear defect in the audio was a real disruption to the experience. For those wondering, we've revised masters now and are running final checks before we release it into the wild here over the next months.

Glad to hear there's an update on Your Name's replacement scheme. I am aware that a small portion requested it as such but I'm sure others like the US fans will appreciate it (I know the folks on the Blu-ray forum are curious to see what's going on for it).

So in this case with Re:Zero - while it strongly falls into disappointing for us too, it is not at least the common vernacular definition of defective for us. It totally deserves to be in the disappointing category though and we are looking into it as we love this show a whole bunch too (Andy has single handedly helped prop it up based on the large REM figure on his desk...which I can't help but notice isn't quite as nice as some of the Emilia figures out there...)

Best,

AP

giphy.gif

You forgot one of the Persona 3 movies... :p

No I didn't - I didn't mention it because it's not a replacement scheme :). A batch were impacted as an old master was used by mistake on first run, this was c caught & corrected except for said batch. It's been a pretty simple case of swap and replace in the few instances it's occurred - which we've done directly for the most part here.

No I didn't - I didn't mention it because it's not a replacement scheme :). A batch were impacted as an old master was used by mistake on first run, this was c caught & corrected except for said batch. It's been a pretty simple case of swap and replace in the few instances it's occurred - which we've done directly for the most part here.

Not a scheme, a case of spontaneous replacement! Spooky. A good thing I'm watching the X Files.

Or @Lambadeltas fav the Escaflowne box

Also not a full replacement scheme as only around 1% of the product has had issues. This would fall under disappointing for me as we'd rather 0% and of course are keen to sort it for the 1%. That said, we'll have something within the next week for those impacted and who have emailed us - so stay tuned to your emails :).

AP

Not a scheme, a case of spontaneous replacement! Spooky. A good thing I'm watching the X Files.

Well yes it's a replacement for those impacted but I'd hoped we'd skip the semantics as I was specifically talking about widespread schemes where we had to run it through our usual replacements email, ask for proof etc. Otherwise we could talk about every single time we have replaced anything for an odd occurrence in production and that would take me forever and not be an exhaustive list as the above is.

Is that clearer :D?

Best,

Andrew

Also not a full replacement scheme as only around 1% of the product has had issues. This would fall under disappointing for me as we'd rather 0% and of course are keen to sort it for the 1%. That said, we'll have something within the next week for those impacted and who have emailed us - so stay tuned to your emails :).

AP

It's taken around 516 days but finally progress!

edit -

also @anime_andrew I've moved from the place the UE was originally shipped to. Will you confirm addresses for this replacement?

Last edited:

AP

Hi, I have a copy with one of the damaged inner boxes too but didn't hear anything about replacements as only bought it in the 12 days of xmas sale. Would I be ok sending an email now if so where to?

Edit: have emailed to the shop.uk@alltheanime email address

Last edited:

AP

In fact the biggest debate when it comes to the masters is with the Gundam franchise. Like sure we're way behind than Nozomi's but honestly I feel Nozomi's is a bit too fast, like there's a lot of episodes for each Gundam title and that's dedication. Sure I binged Zeta & ZZ for 12 days straight but that's because I held it off for too long (and Zeta is so good).

I will still continue to support the UK Gundam releases since I like the boxes (I am very curious to see how you will handle the films like Thunderbolt December Sky when it comes to matching the sets).

Glad to hear there's an update on Your Name's replacement scheme. I am aware that a small portion requested it as such but I'm sure others like the US fans will appreciate it (I know the folks on the Blu-ray forum are curious to see what's going on for it).

I did not buy the first Gundam Box from AL. I regret that now, since I bought all the other Gundam boxes from AL. I have not bought any Nozomi Gundam BDs, I am waiting for AL to release the Gundam anime they are planning because they do a better job, their box designs are among some of the best. I am hoping the first Gundam series wil get a regular box release later on from AL like Full Metal Panic and Sword Art Online did. That way I have a chance to pick up yet another Gundam series from AL that will coincide with my other AL Gundam boxes.

I did not know Your Name had issues, I have not checked it out yet. I am happy that AL pull out all the stops to make their customers happy. That's one of the things I like about AL, that and their cool designs that most of the time outdoes the US counterpart and the rest of the time rivals or equals the US counterpart.

Durarara!!! (2014, replaced 2015) - Discs were botched in multiple ways by Siren at the time, we re-authored and replaced off our own back. Probably our most expensive replacement scheme by the by too.

Boo Hiss, a reminder I didn't need. Missing a deadline for replacement disks hurts :)

----

Can I ask a serious favor. Can we have the option to pay for boxed shipping for replacement sets rather than jiffy bags? I still don't like my crushed replacement Your Lie set.

I know it was free so I had no right to moan. But please give people the option to pay for additional packaging

Last edited:
I'd pay extra for a safer, wrapped and padded packing box for everything I order, if that was a payment option, since most everything I buy are Collector's Editions, and is shipped a long distance overseas to me. I am much more apt to buy from a retailer that offers safe packaging than one who just wants to get it out the door as quickly and cheaply as possible. Returns for damage due to "lazy" packing are a huge hassle, especially when importing.

Honestly, I don't care when things release. As long as the end result is good, I don't care.

Shigeru Miyamoto (the creator of Mario and Zelda) once said, "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever. " He is 100% right.

If it were up to me, I'd love it if everyone took their time to make a good final product. I'm in the USA, and I would rather support a company who actually cares about what they're doing (AL) than what we have here.

I'm one of the few people who despise Re:Zero, but I'll buy the UK set if it gets fixed, as I want to support Anime Limited (and it gives me reason to marathon it while hating it with friends).

Honestly, I don't care when things release. As long as the end result is good, I don't care.

I had this exact conversation in this thread over a year ago, I'd much rather wait for a quality release than a speedy one.

I maybe alone, but it's not all about speed for me. I'm not that envious of people who get things first, I'll rather wait for a reasonably priced local edition. If it comes with decent extras all the better.

Why is speed so important? Surely you have already watched the show which is why you wanna buy it so badly? How is waiting a bit longer gonna change anything? The only thing in my eyes it changes is your desire to watch it again, and surely waiting longer between rewatching is better as it's not so fresh in your memory.

I guess I'm from a different age, I just don't understand the instant gratification generation where you have to have everything immediately.

I'm also one of those people that buy releases and they sit on the shelf for months or years before I watch them. So I guess I'm more of a collector than a viewer these days.

I'll still buy Re:Zero but it's no longer a priority, if it becomes cheap or the standard edition becomes cheaper still (when it's released) I'll pick it up.

This for me is actually an example of where I'm mixed on the handling.

I'm super happy we're getting 00. One of if not my favourite series and glad it will be getting another shot a comprehensive UK release.

But December Sky? I have that. I paid out for the BV web only set and other than possibly translating booklets and such (which BV never do, shocking for the price) it's hard for me to get excited. And when you tell me it and 00 are the only other Gundam titles coming this year....

With the Origin a 4 movie set is a great idea. It gives new viewers a chance to grab all these films at once and it means folks like me can just pop these out without having to wade into the multi level boxes of the collector's sets each time. But December Sky is effectively just a repeat.

I almost wonder if it's a political move on AL's part or forced by Sunrise wanting to earn money back on recent titles. Sadly, part of my brain just keeps saying "What about IBO? Build Fighters? Turn A?"

I absolutely appreciate Gundam is a time sink, both in terms of watching and set production. Add in these releases have also got to cover the French side of things (which I don't begrudge. Various stuff we have France to thank for us getting at all). But I will admit a part of me was hoping the Sunday of MCM we'd get a third Gundam announcement.

By all reports it seems Nozomi’s thunderbolt sold well loads of people including myself got it so I am not surprised after Origin AL choose Thunderbolt another UC yet very standalone title

By all reports it seems Nozomi’s thunderbolt sold well loads of people including myself got it so I am not surprised after Origin AL choose Thunderbolt another UC yet very standalone title

Not saying your wrong but I think it's more do with the fact that Thunderbolt and 00 are translated in French already due being released previously as well here (import buy for Thunderbolt with French and English subs) plus 00 already been rated by bbfc.

I having feeling the next release after these two is Wing. For me personally my next gundam pick up most likely looking like next year now.

Back