UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Only things currently oop here are the movies(available from AL France) and G Reco, which should be getting a standard edition in the near future. I'm excluding the Origin CEs as they're Japanese versions sold by AL.
Which makes a staggering QUARTER of AL's UK Gundam releases out of print. Considering how little they've released, that is, frankly, pathetic.

*puts nerd hat on*
Despite the blog post, I'd caution that The Origin is an alternate continuity. So it's not really something to consult for answers on the original series.

That and where the Char name comes from in this take is bloody stupid.

Which makes a staggering QUARTER of AL's UK Gundam releases out of print. Considering how little they've released, that is, frankly, pathetic.
Oh woe is me, people didn’t buy things they knew would only be available in limited numbers when they had the chance. Nice as it would be for something to remain in print forever so everyone who wants it can always obtain it, when you’re dealing with niche markets I doubt that’s really economically viable. How many people do you reckon are even left in the UK who want G-Reco but don’t already have it? Enough to finance another print run? I was amazed it even came out here at all.
*puts nerd hat on*
Despite the blog post, I'd caution that The Origin is an alternate continuity. So it's not really something to consult for answers on the original series.
Does it actively contradict anything from the older shows/films though? I mean I haven’t seen episode V yet, but nothing lept out at me that made me consider it an alternate take rather than a prequel (I’d be more than okay with it being an alternate take mind, if they wanna redo MSG with Origin production values).

For one, MS development. The Guntank is an existing MS as early as the first episode whilst in the original series it's a secret early Federation weapon discovered alongside the Guncannon and Gundam. There's also stuff like differences in how Char and Lalah met, where Haro came from, etc.

The Origin is essentially what you'd get if Gundam wasn't designed as a toy commercial. It's a very good revised take on the original story but contradicts too much to be taken as a straight prequel.

Hmm. I guess minor inconsistencies like that seem like dust in the wind when you’re used to having to reconcile Star Wars canon with itself.

Hmm. I guess minor inconsistencies like that seem like dust in the wind when you’re used to having to reconcile Star Wars canon with itself.

Origin OVA's are adaptation of the Origin manga which is a remake of MS 079, in the manga there were major changes done to the story in attempt to improve and modernize it. Sunrise being the hacks they are sometimes, marketed the Origin OVA's as a prequel when it's a standalone title it was never intended as prequel.

Fans are wondering if Sunrise are gonna adapt the rest of the the manga which should've be done in the first place or just remake MS079 with original material.

I'm personally betting on doing the 0079 portion as a TV series for the 40th anniversary. They'll likely copy Re:0096 and cut the OVAs into 24 minute episodes and once those run out get to the new stuff. I imagine they'll want to get it made quickly rather then stick to yearly OVAs given Ikeda is now semi retired from voicing Char.

If anyone wants my specific thoughts on The Origin thus far, the reviews are collected here: char aznable Archives | ToonZone News

On train to London for the Geass showing tonight.

You might think that's early but Bedford trains are now so slow I should be there in time for the credits.

I still think Origin is perfectly serviceable as a prequel - The changes (at least as far as I've watched and read up to in the manga) aren't so huge as to make it irreconcilable with MSG, it's not in the same boat as a lot of alternate takes and remakes which totally change characters and plots. I'd just view it like a legend that's changed a bit in the retelling over 40 years.

If anyone wants my specific thoughts on The Origin thus far, the reviews are collected here: char aznable Archives | ToonZone News
Those made for an interesting read. While it doesn't surprise me to learn you're very interested in the political and allegorical themes of Gundam, I've never really been one to take sides in the central conflict between Zeon and the Federation. To me the conflict on both sides demonstrates how well meaning ideals can be twisted, Zeon's philosophy (which I don't think is unreasonable in and of itself, nor really is the wish of the spacenoids for self-government - On that I think Zeon really does have a very valid point, and it's always been clear more than a few of the Zeon forces, Ramba Ral being a prime example, are really fighting for this and for Deikun's ideals, not for the Zabis) becoming useful propaganda for would-be dictators and the Federation's keeping of the peace becoming brutal oppression of those who oppose them (something Zeta obviously makes a particular point of). Even the AEUG, probably the most reasonable faction in the UC, is clearly shown to be in thrall to the military-industrial complex. So I've never really considered there to be much in the way of moralising around the conflict beyond "War's a horrid thing".

And I have to say, your comparison of the ruthless and efficient Kycilia Zabi to our useless and ineffectual Theresa May hurt me on a personal level. I don't think Kycilia would be having these kinds of problems with party loyalty, I think Messrs. Johnson and Gove would probably have perished in an unfortunate air crash by now and everybody else would be whipped into line.

rWFU27s.jpg
Geass posters are A3, rich paper stock. This is the art card.

Quick opinion- worth it if you're a returning Geass fan or curious as a newbie. Though the last 45 minutes drag as the film races through certain events yet removes the consequences.

The highlight?
JIBUN WO!

One more thing- before the screening a guy spoke to us, I believe representing Odeon. From what he said it sounds like they're hoping to do more fan screenings like this in future. Wasn't clear if that meant one venue or if they'd diversify.

Seems to be a MangaEnt title but looking at that label on the back, that's AL's usual info sheet design. Maybe they're teaming up on this one?

That's exactly the same release as the French AL one (which I have) except Solid State Society is also included.

I prefer having English language releases, but I'm cool with this (even more so considering I can get SSS on the cheap). It's a lovely release with a book filled with info and artwork, and the disks come in a kind of large mediabook thing.

Seems to be a MangaEnt title but looking at that label on the back, that's AL's usual info sheet design. Maybe they're teaming up on this one?

Indeed, Manga is taking all the assets from the @anime french branch.
The only difference is that the french edition has 12 Blu-ray discs (and don't have the movie SSS) while manga has 11 BD disc + the SSS movie.
Here :

So to confirm, Manga's release won't have any of the issues that plagued Anchor Bay's botched US release ( boxed/hard of hearing subs only, English audio briefly switching to Japanese, etc)? If AL France's release is a separate master I'll probably splash out on the set.

Back