UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

I think incompetence is a strong word. Personally, I think Anime Limited are often victims of their own passion. Andrew, Jeremy and the whole crew clearly love anime a whole lot, and strive to give every one of their releases the LE treatment, going above and beyond what almost every other distributor would, but it is because of how far they're willing to go that it takes them so long to get anything out the door, as they're often creating packaging from scratch. I also think it's for the same reason they do pick up so many licences, because they honest to God just want to give them all really nice releases that they think they deserve. Sure, they have mistakes that slip through the cracks, but I think suggesting incompetence as a company is bordering on farcical.
I think your playing down the level of mistakes they let slip through the cracks, I've honestly lost count of the number of disks I've had to send back for replacement.

I would love to buy the AL set of Utena.
One of my top 5 shows of all time, and already own 2/5 of them in AL editions.)

I completely understand the rights issue, but can't pick it up without the film when the US edition will have it. So I'll stick to my import copy. So pleased to see this coming to the UK.

Last edited:
Someone posted a quick review of Your name DVD/BD from AL.
Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - The Anime Blu-ray Video Quality Thread

In short : Wrong gamma on the Blu-Ray, compression artifacts, macroblocking, Noise, and bad audio mastering (Need further testing).
What I find pretty hilarious is that the DVD seem's to have less problems, less noise, and correct Gamma level.

I... don't have any words...

That's AUKN's very own @Mangaranga who's investigating the discs for those wondering.

Is there any word on the US version? I'm still going to get the deluxe edition for the extras but I might get the standard US blu ray if it's better quality. Also I really hate the font used on the US edition, petty I know.

Brrr that’s bad news. Will not cancel my Deluxe Edition, yet, but boy i’m glad i also got the Japanese edition.

Also curious what AL thinks about this, after going through it.

I guess at least we can come to the conclusion that QC needs to be emphasized some more in the future, and not take for granted that things will be up to your standards when you don't have total oversight over the entire process. I do feel for the guys at AL in the sense that there's only so much they can really do at this stage, given that much of the issues stem from the work coming from Madman.

I believe AL said a while back they were planning to be less open with licenses until they were much further locked in which is probably for the best. I sense as a company they want to be open and friendly but it's kind of backfired in the sense they might eagerly announce a new license where the ink has only just dried and the actual release is some distance away. There's a reason other companies keep quiet until things are basically all ready to go.

I also personally think it backfires in just how blunt people can be with them. I know Andrew is always encouraging feedback and QC errors have been ongoing but it surprises me how consistently rude some of their customers can be with giving them feedback. Like the openness has eroded certain social barriers that people would maintain with other companies.

This might in the long term be a blessing if AL can feed our concerns back to the Australian side, who have tended to be stoic and silent about concerns when they come from fans.

R

I think having a friendly tone with the community is fine for the most part, especially with regards to (ideally) having productive back-and-forth about any potential issues or gauging general interest. Sharing with the fans a little bit about the inside of the business can also help provide perspective, ideally anyway. Probably for the better though that license announcements are withheld at least until they're a little more set in stone, to avoid any confusion or disappointment.

@Mangaranga posted a quick review of Your name DVD/BD from AL.
Blu-ray Forum - View Single Post - The Anime Blu-ray Video Quality Thread

In short : Wrong gamma on the Blu-Ray, compression artifacts, macroblocking, Noise, and bad audio mastering (Need further testing).
What I find pretty hilarious is that the DVD seem's to have less problems, less noise, and correct Gamma level.

I... don't have any words...
This does sound very disappointing... Unless AL can do something about it I'll have to get either the German release next year or import the japanese one. It's like playing a game with worse graphical settings and wonky framerate, it might be playable but far from ideal. Definitely not how I want to experience this movie although I'm still getting the DE for the booklet and packaging.

Last edited:
it surprises me how consistently rude some of their customers can be with giving them feedback. Like the openness has eroded certain social barriers that people would maintain with other companies.
I'm not really sure AL's engagement with the community has invited criticism as I don't think people maintain those social barriers with anyone any more. Welcome to the internet circa 2017, where abuse is just a form of white noise you have to learn to tune out. Especially on social media platforms like facebook and twitter. AUKN is positively serene compared to such places...

I mean personally I'd rather know what's licensed even if it's years off, but I can understand them deciding not to announce their licences early any more if all they get in return is "Are we there yet"
I don't mind if a title takes 6 months or two years between being announced and being released. So long as it gets a release.

Personally, I think it would be good for some sort of update if a title was announced as "All we can say at this time it will be released in 2017 and it will be on Blu-ray and DVD." just to confirm its still going ahead even if its going to be 2018 or 2019.

Brrr that’s bad news. Will not cancel my Deluxe Edition, yet, but boy i’m glad i also got the Japanese edition.

Yes, I imported both the Japanese 5-disc 4K CE and the 3-Disc SE sets, and I have the US LE on pre-order, so I should be covered. With that said, regardless of the disc PQ issues, I also have the UK Steelbook on pre-order specifically for the cover art, and I'd really like to get the UK CE as well, mainly for the box art and book. In a case like this, I'm collecting multiple releases mainly for the packaging and the contents other than the Blu-rays included with the set. So, I would be quintuple-dipping on a movie I actually have not even had the chance to sit down and watch yet - I must be at some level of crazy...

Last edited:
The early announcements help me because my import window starts with the JP release. I deliberately held back on importing Rakugo (sob) as I thought I could get it locally; if people don't announce anything in advance then I just buy a foreign edition as I'm well used to titles I like never making it to the UK at this point. So it's a difficult balance to strike between the people angry about waiting and the people who simply won't think to buy in the first place if we don't have the information up front.

R

I'm not really sure AL's engagement with the community has invited criticism as I don't think people maintain those social barriers with anyone any more. Welcome to the internet circa 2017, where abuse is just a form of white noise you have to learn to tune out. Especially on social media platforms like facebook and twitter. AUKN is positively serene compared to such places...

For me, I think there's a point where you have to step back and say this is just animation. People are right to complain about the ongoing QC issues (I'm still trying to figure out how to get the 2 volumes of Zeta out of that artbox, for instance) and likewise people have valid concerns about extending too far (I agree with the recurring ADV comparison). But some of the comments get pretty nasty in a way that (at least in my opinion) no one should be getting that worked up over 'cartoons'.

I think it's fair to say most people's reaction to AL currently is "I want to support them...but jeez, this just keeps happening." There are ways to express that without coming off as immature.

Back