UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Yellow subtitles distract from/clash with the cinematography more than do white with black border. Subtitles are always going to be intrusive, but the aim should be to make them as least intrusive as possible while still being legible.

I guess part of the problem is that "intrusive" and "legible" are subjective. As is where on the scale any given set of subtitles sits.

As I've said the last time this came up, for me there has the be the right amount of contrast for the words to be legible for me. White subs have a higher tendency to get washed out by the background for me than yellow ones do. Even with my glasses on. But for other people with different eyesight, not an issue at all.

It's not even whether or not I like how they look, as white ones do tend to be more aesthetically pleasing. But I'd take "looks slightly worse, but I can read it" over "looks slightly better but I have to focus harder to make the words out".

Why discs don't just have caption-style subtitles which are text (encrypted if necessary) that gets rendered device-side and can be customised as per the user and setup has always confused me.

Zavvi are apologising for not sending out the Gurren Lagann CE yet. It's not even the release date yet, so they're jumping the gun a bit there.

Did anyone else get the booklet of Hana & Alice damaged?

Mine had just a slight bend in the middle of the back page. How bad is yours?

My Hal booklet wasn't great: the entire first half of it is kind of crumpled at the top outer corner. A week or so under a pile of Udon art books to flatten it improved it a bit, but it's still disappointing.

It's in no way limited to AL, though. I bought the CE of Manga's Redline, and my copy of the booklet was torn at the back in two places at the bottom.

Mine had just a slight bend in the middle of the back page. How bad is yours?
That bend is not so slight, starts from the last page and reaches the first one where is not so noticeable.
Had the same issue with redlines booklet and most of Manga's booklets. But for AL that's the first time it is so serious.

Zavvi are apologising for not sending out the Gurren Lagann CE yet. It's not even the release date yet, so they're jumping the gun a bit there.

Nothing new there. If a release date gets shifted after you order you will keep getting those messages after the date the release was set at upon order.

Did anyone else get the booklet of Hana & Alice damaged?
I don't recall mine being damaged, but I really only glance at booklets to check they're not horribly destroyed and thel them to never be looked at GIn
Nothing new there. If a release date gets shifted after you order you will keep getting those messages after the date the release was set at upon order.
I didn't realise the date had been shifted.

They have at least reduced the ridiculously large font size since Chunibyo.
You can say that again :pFullscreen capture 16112012 184445.jpg

What I never understand is who people who prefer yellow subs, when faced with white subs, say "I prefer yellow subs" (or nothing at all). People who prefer white subs however say "yellow subs? Yuck! Boycott!"

Oh, and for the record: My alchemist name is "Hunting Haste Alchemist" and I'm number 664 (from Zavvi)

I really hope now plans for Zeta Gundam are pretty much fully formed, Anime Ltd can release some more details on plans for the forthcoming rollout of other RightStuff Gundam titles. Eg. are we getting ZZ next, or skipping straight ahead to where the US is now with the Turn A Blu-Rays and UC stuff pretty much done and dusted (clearing the way for Wing).

What I never understand is who people who prefer yellow subs, when faced with white subs, say "I prefer yellow subs" (or nothing at all). People who prefer white subs however say "yellow subs? Yuck! Boycott!"
To be fair I'm like this with people.

Some people prefer people around, but when no people is an option they don't mind. But I don't like people so when people at an event I want to attend is the only option I boycott... And no I'm not going to comment on the colour of the people! I hate everyone equally. ;)

I really hope now plans for Zeta Gundam are pretty much fully formed, Anime Ltd can release some more details on plans for the forthcoming rollout of other RightStuff Gundam titles. Eg. are we getting ZZ next, or skipping straight ahead to where the US is now with the Turn A Blu-Rays and UC stuff pretty much done and dusted (clearing the way for Wing).

I'd hope for at least ZZ to complete the "original trilogy" of TV shows. Selfishly I want Victory because it's the one Gundam show I haven't watched yet, and the thought of finally getting round to watching it because I have the series on blu-ray is a very weird and pleasing thought.

If they did skip ahead to something like Wing I wouldn't be surprised, it has nostalgic value and a dub, something ZZ, Victory and Turn-A can't say...

I'd hope for at least ZZ to complete the "original trilogy" of TV shows. Selfishly I want Victory because it's the one Gundam show I haven't watched yet, and the thought of finally getting round to watching it because I have the series on blu-ray is a very weird and pleasing thought.

If they did skip ahead to something like Wing I wouldn't be surprised, it has nostalgic value and a dub, something ZZ, Victory and Turn-A can't say...
I think @Lutga meant, maybe they'll try and do the shows the US is now. Whilst (or later) going back and filling the gaps in for the UK. Rather than not doing ZZ and such all together.

To be fair I'm like this with people.

Some people prefer people around, but when no people is an option they don't mind. But I don't like people so when people at an event I want to attend is the only option I boycott... And no I'm not going to comment on the colour of the people! I hate everyone equally. ;)
So you only attend events... with no people present? Those would be like what, a Gary Glitter come-back concert?

In an attempt to stay at least slightly on topic, I'd like very much to see all the UC shows (and OVAs, and movies) on BD, even if this is a pipe dream. I won't be upgrading my Wing DVDs - While it was okay I didn't really enjoy the show enough to do so, and the old Beez box set is really nice as it is.

Back