UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

it might be nice to include both colors of subtitles?
Whoa there! That's the kind of thing you only see on unofficial custom blu-rays by fans/pirates; just because fans/pirates can do it, we can't possibly expect legitimate distributors to go to the effort of two subtitle tracks.*

*To be fair, UK distributors do have a valid argument against this in that the BBFC ruin everything for everyone all the time.

Actually, I asked Discotek's Brady Hartel (I think, it was definitely a Discotek employee.) The reason it can't be done is that both sets of subtitles would have to be QC'd individually, and it would cost far too much to do.

Whoa there! That's the kind of thing you only see on unofficial custom blu-rays by fans/pirates; just because fans/pirates can do it, we can't possibly expect legitimate distributors to go to the effort of two subtitle tracks.*

*To be fair, UK distributors do have a valid argument against this in that the BBFC ruin everything for everyone all the time.
When free illegal fansubs are better than official legal subs. FeelsBadMan

I have... 2 sentai releases in my shelves... that's all.
I feel you, man. I watched the DUB to escape this horror. They have at least reduced the ridiculously large font size since Chunibyo. Small mercies.

(Note that they use white for secondary dialogue and signs even though it's supposed to be impossible to read or summat.)

y13yqW2.jpg

As an aside, Andrew told me Outlaw Star's yellow subtitles were a one-off nostalgia kick. Then came Escaflowne, and now P3. While in most cases I wouldn't avoid a release because of yellow subtitles, I don't see why people who do because it negatively affects their experience should be mocked for their choice.

I feel you, man. I watched the DUB to escape this horror. They have at least reduced the ridiculously large font size since Chunibyo. Small mercies.

(Note that they use white for secondary dialogue and signs even though it's supposed to be impossible to read or summat.)

Small subtitles can do one. There is a generally accepted size for optional subtitles amongst major releases, and anime companies should keep to it.

I've had to squint at the screen to read Funimation subtitles before, I shouldn't have to. By all means object to large subtitles, but please know that there is a reason the major studios have established such conventions.

While in most cases I wouldn't avoid a release because of yellow subtitles, I don't see why people who do because it negatively affects their experience should be mocked for their choice.

Maybe because some of them don't like when someone point-out that what they like is maybe sh*t.
What is even more funny is that some of them also told you what you need to do with your own money, like "Don't import you scum!, support the local market!"

So... what exactly is the issue with yellow subtitles?

Like, I see people complaining about them all the time... yet I've never seen an actual reason for why they're supposedly so bad.

Personally, I don't care either way. I've never had issues reading white, yellow or grey subtitles.

Like, I see people complaining about them all the time... yet I've never seen an actual reason for why they're supposedly so bad.

Personally, I don't care either way. I've never had issues reading white, yellow or grey subtitles.

I guess because they're bright and stand out more? I mean, if anything that makes them easier to read, but who am I to say? :p

Going to say its because I guess for some people it looks dirty. Tbh the only colour I can't stand is green since it sticks out like a sore thumb and hurts my eyes.

Colour, size, I've never been particularly bothered. All different colours and sizes can all be nice to look at, as for them taking up too much of the screen, well that's never been a problem to me...

Wait, what were we talking about?

Wait, what were we talking about?

We were talking about how Blu-ray subtitle encoding shouldn't hard encode font, size and colour data. It should instead just contain a script and a recommend settings. Then allow Blu-ray Playback software to be able to customise the subtitles to the preferences of the viewer.

Then these types of issues would be a problem of the past.

Welcome to the anime fandom. We are never pleased, and will find any issue to moan about as it isn't superior JP quality like our JP overlords.
Oh I've been in the Anime fandom world for over 20 years. I just thought that kind of "debate" was confined to Reddit :D

Persona 3 movies on blu ray!! In the UK!!! This makes me happy :)

Edit. Black writing on a white spine! The Aniplex release has a lovely bluey black spine. Andrew and Co must have been hitting to booze hard. Boycotting!!!!

Yellow subtitles distract from/clash with the cinematography more than do white with black border. Subtitles are always going to be intrusive, but the aim should be to make them as least intrusive as possible while still being legible.

Back